Architecture 2016

It does suck for selling 21008 but personally, I'd love a somewhat more elaborate remake as I always thought 21008 was rather weak. And at a price point the same as Flatiron, I think it has some promise...

I agree, I feel a lot of the earlier architecture sets are rather weak and wouldn't mind seeing some improvements on them.  Although, that's going to really hit the retail value.  The burj has sold at almost 80.00 with free shipping.  I bought a lot of these at discount, and paid around 18.00 for them.  I was waiting for it to hit 100, but I don't think that is going to happen now.  So, even if I blow mine out at 3.5x after fees/taxes, that's a win.  So, i'm probably going to ramp up and sell mine.

But some of the earlier sets are kind of garbage and feel they should remake a few of them. I've also had some quality issues with a few of them.  My Empire State Building has a lot of cracks in the bricks.  It seemed that one had a lot of issues, and the one I have built about 70% of the bricks are cracked.  I've never gotten around to replace them yet.  However, the Brandenberg Gate uses similar bricks, and none of those have the issues, so it must have been some issues with that production run.  Over the last 3 years, is when lego started to really create some great sets, IMO. 
I just hope they keep improving on the design and quality of them.

I'm going with the Chrysler Building for New York.  There are a lot of pictures of Adam Reed Tucker working on sets in the other various architecture sets and in articles - and there is a nice looking Chrysler Building design in the background that looks like it could fit that price point.

Side note - another Burj Kahlifa is stupid.  IMO the first one is by far one the worst builds and designs in the entire architecture line - and I say this as I stare at it on my shelf next to my UN building and Sydney Opera House - man it's lame.  If they do another Dubai based set, I would hope it's the Burj Al Arab, by far on the most appealing buildings in that city.  There was a nice MOC posted in Lego Ideas of it - but it never got a lot of votes and the time expired.

• Like 3

Wondering if the Brandenburg Gate will retire after the introduction of a new "german" set.

It looks like Space Needle is done for sure.  I think the Imperial Hotel is winding down, and once the stock blows out, it's gone as well.  UN Building is also almost done, as it has had sales in lego stores this year, which is usually a sign of retirement.  It's also had a period where it was out of stock for over a month. After that, it's tough to say.  I think the white house will remain for a while, and I think Big Ben, and Eiffel Tower will also remain for a bit.  But, it seems they have 5 new sets coming up over the next year, add in the 2 new one's this year, and so, some are going to have to go.  My bets would be on the Brandenburg Gate, and Villa Savoye phasing out over the next year.

I see that they are jumping from 21024 Louvre to 21026 Venice. That might point to a limited run set like Marina Bay Sands sometime in 2016.

That would be unbelievable if they hadn't done something similar twice already. You may be on to something...

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Was hopping to see some more architect focused sets, but that does not look likely in this list.  More money in selling landmarks to the masses.  Though Flatiron bridges the gap a bit, but did we really need another NYC building?

Some one needs to get a Schroder house up on Ideas.

• 2 weeks later...

Hearing word that most of the new sets for 2016 are mini city landscapes and not specific monuments - Burj excepted.

Please not. I don't care a lot about Burj, but changing scope from buildings to 'landscapes' just wouldn't nicely fit into the existing sets. I just hope this is a rumor based on the leaked set names, and those names might not be the final ones.

I think they should do a UCS Architecture Series.  They could start with the Empire State Building.  Maybe a 5000 piece set...That would be iconic and worthy IMO.

Let them make something much more impressive. Maybe the pyramids of giza: 5000 2x2 bricks, with color variations being intentional.

• Like 1

Please not. I don't care a lot about Burj, but changing scope from buildings to 'landscapes' just wouldn't nicely fit into the existing sets. I just hope this is a rumor based on the leaked set names, and those names might not be the final ones.

Apparently they are in the 2016 1H dealer catalogue that some people have had access to. More details to follow.

• 4 weeks later...

I haven't been on BP for a while, just wondering if anyone else got their Lego Architecture T-shirts today at the B&N build event (free with purchase of a set).  I actually picked up three architecture sets but did not expect to get a shirt for each, the person at register asked his manager and he went ahead and gave me three shirts.

I haven't been on BP for a while, just wondering if anyone else got their Lego Architecture T-shirts today at the B&N build event (free with purchase of a set).  I actually picked up three architecture sets but did not expect to get a shirt for each, the person at register asked his manager and he went ahead and gave me three shirts.

Sadly, I couldn't. Would have been cool to get one of these.

Since we can't post images, if you wanna see preliminary images of these below (& haven't already), send me a PM...

Wow. Initially I thought the cityscapes are a dumb idea. After seeing the images I changed my mind. These actually look quite impressing, given the small size.

And the Burj Khalifa is really a new Burj Khalifa - only much better. Now I am glad I sold my sealed 21008. This isn't going to have a chance against 21031, except for the absolute completionists. Like me. Holding one to the one I had built.

• Like 1

Very interesting. I think the NYC set will be extremely popular and a great investment post retirement. The other two cityscapes, I don't know. I'm a buyer regardless because Architecture is my favorite theme. I'm still baffled by the Burj Khalifa reissue but I must say this one looks 10 times better. Maybe they realized the original was so bad and wanted a do over.

• Like 1