Architecture 2016

Very interesting. I think the NYC set will be extremely popular and a great investment post retirement. The other two cityscapes, I don't know. I'm a buyer regardless because Architecture is my favorite theme. I'm still baffled by the Burj Khalifa reissue but I must say this one looks 10 times better. Maybe they realized the original was so bad and wanted a do over.

probably some middle east shiekh did not like the first one and made a special request to lego.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/21/2015, 11:32:25, jbacunn said:

Very interesting. I think the NYC set will be extremely popular and a great investment post retirement. The other two cityscapes, I don't know.

The NYC set will be all but popular somewhere else than the US. I can see the other two to be quite popular in Europe. And those aren't that difficult to send internationally.

On 22.10.2015, 06:57:55, chipbee said:

probably some middle east shiekh did not like the first one and made a special request to lego.

I think that's quite likely especially as the Burj set is also sold in the souvenir shop there as well.

I love the Venice one but am slightly worried about the actual size. A German shop already has got the prices up for the sets:

21031 - Burj Khalifa 39,99 Euros

21026 - Venice 29,99 Euros

21027 - Berlin 29,99 Euros

21028 - New York City - 49,99 Euros

Edited by TigerG

3 hours ago, KShine said:

I love the new Architecture Skyline sets (NY, Venice, Berlin).

agree these look awesome.  given the similarity in the appearance, it seems like the nyc skyline might put a crimp in growth of Empire State Building 21002.  I think flat iron is safe.

nyc.jpg

Edited by cladner

• 3 weeks later...

Statue of Liberty was the glaring omission but now it´s in small scale. Since churches are not allowed by Lego, that eliminates most UK landmarks and private buildings like BT tower are not of wide enough interest. As Buckingham Palace seems to be one of the new rumored sets, we´re down to second class stuff like Edinburgh Castle, London Eye etc etc

I don't know.  I do like the idea of the cityscape for architecture, but I feel they may have missed the mark a little on this.  I think to do those sets some justice in the form of a normal 'architecture' set, they should be around $60-$80 for the set.  It just seems a bit too tiny.

I miss the days of the bigger architecture sets.  Granted the Louvre looks like a fantastic model, but it seems like Lego appears to already be running out of steam on this series.

46 minutes ago, citymorgue said:

I don't know.  I do like the idea of the cityscape for architecture, but I feel they may have missed the mark a little on this.  I think to do those sets some justice in the form of a normal 'architecture' set, they should be around $60-$80 for the set.  It just seems a bit too tiny.

I miss the days of the bigger architecture sets.  Granted the Louvre looks like a fantastic model, but it seems like Lego appears to already be running out of steam on this series.

Remember how the series started  - all sub 200 piece sets. It´s good they have a range of sizes to fit all budgets and to give different collectability and gift options.

3 hours ago, valenciaeric said:

Statue of Liberty was the glaring omission but now it´s in small scale. Since churches are not allowed by Lego, that eliminates most UK landmarks and private buildings like BT tower are not of wide enough interest. As Buckingham Palace seems to be one of the new rumored sets, we´re down to second class stuff like Edinburgh Castle, London Eye etc etc

Tower of London, Palace of Westminster (Big Ben), Windsor Castle, Tower Bridge, British Museum, Buckingham Palace, Stonehenge could all be possibilities

48 minutes ago, citymorgue said:

There are literally thousands of iconic buildings around the world, but Lego probably felt that only a tiny fraction of buildings will be able to attract sufficient buying interest.

• Like 1

As a fan of the Architecture line, I don't care much for these at all. I think they'll appeal to a lot of people as nice little display sets, or for gifts. But the scale is so small for any real build interest. The photos are pretty, but I suspect they'll look a bit underwhelming in reality.

I really hope we see more bigger sets again, but I'm losing hope. Even a couple of mid size sets (like the Villa Savoye or Farnsworth) would be nice at some stage.

The Burj Khalifa misses the mark for me a bit. They just aren't able to capture the complex curves of the exterior at this scale; in a way I think the original set was a better interpretation, despite it's shortcomings. I'm a bit disappointed, and wish they had gone with a different building instead of a remake that doesn't hit the mark in a way many of the other sets have. I keep UN HQ, White House, Eiffel Tower, Big Ben, Guggenheim, Flatiron Building, Empire State Building, LT of Pisa, and Trevi Fountain on display in my office because they are all instantly recognizable and iconic, even at their individual scales. The BK wouldn't be, and probably won't get added to the collection.

On the other hand, I quite like the micro-scale cityscape sets, and will probably pick up all three. Micro-scale isn't for everyone, but you have to admit these are pretty good interpretations of the individual buildings/structures. I think these will probably be in the $20-$30 range (maybe a bit more for NYC), which really hits the mark for gifts or souvenirs. This is also an easy line to continue; what city couldn't Lego find 3-4 buildings to recreate?