Architecture 2016

I'm quite a bit of a map geek, so the entire line has an appeal to me.  The Cityscapes subline, though -that's speaking direct to me. I'll grab all three of those, and probably gobble up anything else they come up with in the future.

I can see those sitting on an executive's desk.  They're small but eye catching.

As for investment, I don't know that there will be a huge demand for these.  I think NYC might have some special appeal in the US.  There might be appeal to the others as a "vacation gift" - as in, I went to Venice, so now I want this little cityscape to show that I went to Venice.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tractorboy said:

As a fan of the Architecture line, I don't care much for these at all. I think they'll appeal to a lot of people as nice little display sets, or for gifts. But the scale is so small for any real build interest. The photos are pretty, but I suspect they'll look a bit underwhelming in reality.

I really hope we see more bigger sets again, but I'm losing hope. Even a couple of mid size sets (like the Villa Savoye or Farnsworth) would be nice at some stage.

That's how I feel with these sets.  They look all nice and pretty all up close and big and pretty pictures, but in reality, it's just not the same.

I remember when the Lincoln Memorial was announced and pictures came out, I was soo stoked and excited to pick it up for the wife.  Once it was released and we traveled to the Lego store, and saw it on display, we immediately decided to pass.  It wasn't worth the money for such a tiny model.  It just didn't feel like it was worth the money, which was really disappointing, because if Lego doubled the size of it, it would've felt a lot better.

• Like 1

On ‎11‎/‎24‎/‎2015‎ ‎3‎:‎41‎:‎50‎, henrysunset said:

I'm really excited about LEGO Architecture, so naturally I was thrilled to see that high-res photos of four of the new 2016 LEGO Architecture sets are here!

The biggest news is the introduction of a third series within the the LEGO Architecture product line! "Cityscapes"  feature several iconic buildings from cities around the world in a single model, joining the existing "Architect" and "Landmark" series.

The four 2016 LEGO Architecture sets (including the new "cityscapes".)

I'm thrilled to try the new sets, and see what additional Cityscapes we have in the future. I'm also excited to see at least one more large-scale model this year - The Burj Khalifa (albeit an updated version of a model from 2011.) 

Lots more analysis, including expected piece counts and prices, more details on the standard base used on all three cityscape models and more at http://brickarchitect.com/2015/lego-architecture-2016-preview/

Sincerely,
---tom

P.S. There is also a rumour of a further UK and New York set this year, I'm personally hoping for a detailed model of the Chrysler building, but One WTC seems like a good guess as well.  

What do you think, what UK or New York buildings should be added to the series?

The're nice sets for sure. But what is the impact on 

21011 Brandenburg Gate

21008 Burj Khalifa

21002 Empire State Building

21000 Willis Tower

It seems like these are extended remakes... of the originals. So are these sets truly investable?

As we are BrickPickers, I wonder...

• Like 1

I took the conservative approach... sold off all my ESB sets, anyway. Still made money, no regrets*.

Now, these do look lovely; I wonder if we will see more in the future. Paris? Athens? Beijing? So many interesting possibilities...

*(My reasoning was that the ESB set is quite plain-looking and B)if wanted a souvenir of New York City I would much prefer the skyline over just a single, plain looking, as was mentioned, building).

Edited by Battrax

At first i like the new york set the best amongst these batch of new releases, however the more i look, the more i dislike it. The only distinctive building is empire state building, the rest are hardly recognizable. The new burj kalifa is nice, though the previous one is closer to the actual building.

I used to be all into the architecture line, and that was one of the reasons I really ventured into the lego realm, but as time has gone on, I feel less engaged with this line, and i'm losing interest.  I do think the new Empire State Building is a vast improvement over the original in that microscope set, but I don't know if it's enough for me to really dive into these.  I've been hoping for a while to have a 800 to 900 piece build of the chrysler building, just done in a way that gives it justice, and this doesn't cut it for me.  

I liked the flatiron building this year, and thought that was a fun set, but the louvre, and the lincoln memorial didn't quite sit with me right.  It will be interesting to see what they do with the rumored US Capitol building, but other that that set, very little interests me to continue being a completist in this series.  Anymore, I feel like selling off quite a bit of my architecture sets because as time has gone on, I just find the creator sets more fun and challenging to build and they just have a better aesthetic quality to them.

1 hour ago, chipbee said:

At first i like the new york set the best amongst these batch of new releases, however the more i look, the more i dislike it. The only distinctive building is empire state building, the rest are hardly recognizable. The new burj kalifa is nice, though the previous one is closer to the actual building.

No doubt u recognize Statue of Liberty :)

On ‎11‎/‎24‎/‎2015‎ ‎9‎:‎34‎:‎50‎, henrysunset said:

I just finished building the new Empire State Building.  It's a great model with lots of intricate SNOT work and some complex offsets to work through. 

It took about an hour to build. This set will be a great source for LEGO Part #87087 (Brick, stud 1 side), and 2412 (1x2 Grille). I don't have the new #18674 2x2 round jumper, so I improvised.

Tom Alphin @ Instagram

I'm excited to finish the model later tonight.

U don't stop do u? Pics just popped up on Internet and u r on ur 2nd build...nice.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, henrysunset said:

They are really quick builds, and I do love LEGO Architecture.

So do u have them all? Marina bay sands, Lego factory/house? And other limited edition architecture sets? Seeing how fast u r, even if u didn't spend $700 on 21021, I bet u built it anyway from loose bricks ;)

On November 26, 2015 at 9:14:03 PM, henrysunset said:

P.S. It is on sale at Amazon right now for 50% off @ 12.47$.  Happy Black Friday if you haven't bought it yet, or need a copy for a gift.

Wow I just got my copy of your book still 50% off at Amazon and with Sunday delivery. I just paged thru it and it is a must buy for any Arch fan and/or builder. Great hardcover with awesome pics but what I did not know was the building instructions and techniques reviewed. This book will definetly have you wanting to pop the seals on an Arch studio. If you are looking for a gift idea to give and/or get for you or an AFOL the book and an Arch studio would be amazing. 

Use  promo code Holiday30 for an additional 30% off just grabbed another for $8.73 and choose no rush shipping for a $1 credit 

Edited by Pseudoty
  • Like 1

On November 25, 2015 at 2:59:06 AM, henrysunset said:

@Migration, thanks for the kind words!  What's your favorite architectural style, or favorite section of the book so far?

Your book and the work you put into it deserve it! As far as architectural styles....I really enjoy Victorian style houses (probably why I like HH so much) although the upkeep for all those details is enough to keep me from ever wanting to own one. I grew up on the west coast and used to go up to Ferndale every year or so. Cool little town. I also really like the clean line of cable stay bridges like this one https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_Ravenel_Jr._Bridge . I also like the "Charleston Singles" of my adopted home, I would imagine I'm not alone in that by the sheer number of tourists that hit this town every year. 

Looks like the original Empire State building has pretty much plateaued around 40.00, and I have a feeling it might stay there for a long time since the one in the NYC skyline is better and of a similar size.  Unless someone is a completist, i doubt that one will spike since people can buy that set for 50.00 next month.  So, I doubt we see the ESB go beyond that price point anytime soon.  So those holding stock, might want to rethink their strategy on it.  

It also looks like the Burj will plateau around the mid to upper 90.00s and could fall a bit… although, it's tough to complain about that one, when you could get those routinely for around 20.00 back when they were available.  I blew quite a few of them out over the last two months, so i'm happy with the returns..  However, even though the  Brandenburg Gate, and Flatiron buildings are included in the city skyline sets, I don't think they will suffer the same fate as the Empire State Building.   In fact, I think the Brandenburg Gate will do very well long term...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎11‎/‎24‎/‎2015 at 9:28 AM, pstebbing said:

These look fantastic.

Architecture 2016

Venice (21026)

Berlin (21027)

New York City (21028)

Burj Khalifa (21031)

I agree with this 100%, I'm late to the party here, but I really like these 3 new city skyline sets.  I love the fresh new spin on the architecture series in that its just not one building

• Like 1