70751 - Temple of Airjitzu

DadsAFOL

• 1 month later...

I like the set but what keeps me from buying them for investment is the flimpsy box. Shipping it will be a nightmare. No matter how careful you pack it - there are just too many bricks in that flimpsy box and if it gets thrown somewhere the wrong way it's going to have bad creases and you'll have an unhappy buyer. Other than that I think it will be popular once it retires - at least in Europe.

Edited by TigerG

I like the set but what keeps me from buying them for investment is the flimpsy box. Shipping it will be a nightmare. No matter how careful you pack it - there are just too many bricks in that flimpsy box and if it gets thrown somewhere the wrong way it's going to have bad creases and you'll have an unhappy buyer. Other than that I think it will be popular once it retires - at least in Europe.

You can solve that problem by parting it out. I've done pretty well on this set (40% profit) that way. The bags are pretty easily divisible into the main structure/blacksmith/market.

• 2 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, Breeder said:

I have the exact problem - my 3 nearest Smyths stores have it in stock! Its a decent discount so I'm tempted to take a speculative punt on it.

22 minutes ago, feed said:

No easy answers anymore. You have to make your own decisions on investment potential.   However, it’s a lot of good figs and parts for the price.  It’s OOS stock in both smyths near me and there are a couple of big brinklink stores in the vicinity. Take from that what you will 

@feed.  Yup i get what you're saying.  Been on the look out for this set for a personal build (just waiting for the right time) and given the discounts in the UK this weekend I don't think they'll be anything better.

In terms of how well this will do EOL I'm on the fence.  It is a great looking set and whilst a playset and comes from Ninjago (kids show) its been relatively well received in the AFOL community - its not too fantasy driven and works well as a standalone display without coming across too "kiddish".  Aesthetically I think its a really well designed set.  I've never seen the show but am willing to make room in my limited display space for this which makes me think it will always have fans down the line.

With the NInjago movie scheduled for release I can see them keeping this one around for a few more years (akin to UCS sets) so expect it to be on the shelves into 2018.

That said (if you read this thread) it doesn't appear to be a great seller. When the movie comes no doubt they'll be a whole plethora of movie orientated sets so I in the immediate term i dont expect much to change for this set.

Ohh and meant to add.  Airjitzu won the readers choice award for best set in 2015 from gimmie lego (and the best non-licensed set award)

http://gimmelego.blogspot.co.uk/2016/01/and-gimme-lego-readers-choice-award-for.html

Other notables from 2015 were S1, Detectives office & Ferris wheel.  All great sets so for this one to come out on top means it has some traction (PR, EV, Diagon Alley and HH were the winners from 2014 to 20122 in case anyone's interested).

Edited by GiliusThunderhead
I cant spell the set name!
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, GiliusThunderhead said:

Ohh and meant to add.  Aritzu won the readers choice award for best set in 2015 from gimmie lego (and the best non-licensed set award)

http://gimmelego.blogspot.co.uk/2016/01/and-gimme-lego-readers-choice-award-for.html

Other notables from 2015 were S1, Detectives office & Ferris wheel.  All great sets so for this one to come out on top means it has some traction (PR, EV, Diagon Alley and HH were the winners from 2014 to 20122 in case anyone's interested).

The more I look at this set, the more value I see in it.  This has 12/13 figs, including 6/7 unique. Okay some aren't exactly iconic, but still, Ninjago figs sell well, even with the all the Chinese fakes out there.  The rest of the set is a very good parts box.   Medium blue, dark red, masonry bricks, some sand green, frames. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, feed said:

The more I look at this set, the more value I see in it.  This has 12/13 figs, including 6/7 unique. Okay some aren't exactly iconic, but still, Ninjago figs sell well, even with the all the Chinese fakes out there.  The rest of the set is a very good parts box.   Medium blue, dark red, masonry bricks, some sand green, frames. 

It's a beautiful set and I'm glad I have one. Now stop talking about it or you'll wake the H...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, feed said:

Great point.  

I'm definitely guilty of only looking at sets as a whole (can't seem to shake that mentality) and thinking buyers only think the same.  
But from a parts perspective this has a lot going for it.  From rebrickable: http://rebrickable.com/sets/70751-1 503 of the parts are unique (or have unique prints).  Thats 1/4 of the set (seems a bit high to me mind).

5 minutes ago, Phil B said:

It's a beautiful set and I'm glad I have one. Now stop talking about it or you'll wake the H...

My bad.  I'll get back in my hole now.

I completely disregarded this set at first, I had no interest in ninjago, neither did my son which surprised me as he like most cartoons!! But then I saw it in the flesh in my local store and then realised how beautiful it was, even my wife said "oh that one looks cool"!! So for me I just took the fact it was a Ninjago set out of the equation and enjoyed building a Japanese type building, which will one day fit into my modular city once I find some more room!!!

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...

I picked up this set recently when there was a promotion at the new Lego store opening in San Diego.  People who purchased the Temple set received a free Ninjago Jay car racer set as well ($40 MSRP).  I think the set looks very good, and the reviews are strong.  It appears that the set is not selling very well, since it is being packaged with promotional items.  However, with the opening of the new Ninjago ride at Legoland, and a Ninjago movie coming out next year, this set could still have some traction. I have not invested in Lego before, but I'm thinking that based upon the strong reviews this one could have some staying power. 

• Like 2