Bricklink/BrickOwl - Discussion, questions, & answers

Quick question on fees........ What is the norm for sellers from the states as far as fees? It seems like international orders charge min 5% PP fees plus handling sometimes. Currently Im only charging the exact shipping, which is usually around 2.60-4.00 for first class up to 1 lb I believe. Thoughts?

25 minutes ago, longshot said:

Quick question on fees........ What is the norm for sellers from the states as far as fees? It seems like international orders charge min 5% PP fees plus handling sometimes. Currently Im only charging the exact shipping, which is usually around 2.60-4.00 for first class up to 1 lb I believe. Thoughts?

It's violates Paypal terms for USA sellers to explicitly charge a fee to buyers for selecting Paypal as the payment method.

7 minutes ago, minicoopers11 said:

It's violates Paypal terms for USA sellers to explicitly charge a fee to buyers for selecting Paypal as the payment method.

Well there ya go............LOL I was wondering why none of the US sellers charged fees and it was only when I bought from a overseas store.

In everyones experience in terms of getting set inventories fro, BL / BO, do you find one is better than the other?

I would imagine they are pretty accurate. I currently used Bricklink's because they seem to have a better "print" option, BrickOwl's formatting is a bit odd.

Guest betsy805
1 hour ago, ichiroll said:

yea, I haven't done that.

I'll have to check the fine print out.  Thanks.

I agree on putting shipping charges on your store terms/shipping policy area.  I put $2.99 for up to 8oz shipping weight, $4.30 for 9oz-16oz shipping weight.  International buyers are a minimum of $13.25 shipping.  That should weed out anyone that is trying to pay less than parcel....because of course they'd rather pay the envelope price, they're not the ones that are going to eat the cost if the product arrives damaged ;) Good luck!!

Thanks for your reply.

I agree, but I've actually had orders canceled because a buyer didn't want to pay the parcel rate to ship the single $1 fig they bought...

The simple solution would be to either mention you charge for shipping on your terms page, or raise your minimum buy in. You can lose money on an order with no minimum.

That $1.00 minifig would've cost you about $0.45 in fees. More if you don't buy your labels from PayPal.

• Like 2

On 18-8-2017 at 9:09 PM, scatttcat said:

In everyones experience in terms of getting set inventories fro, BL / BO, do you find one is better than the other?

I would imagine they are pretty accurate. I currently used Bricklink's because they seem to have a better "print" option, BrickOwl's formatting is a bit odd.

Get set inventories from BL. The inventories on BO come from Lego's replacement parts site and are not always 100% complete. And many older sets don't have inventories at all on BO. Getting the correct part variants in a set is anothere reason to go for BL if that's something you care about. On BO they will often list part variants in a set that went out of production long before the set was produced or you'll find variants that were no longer being made when that set was produced.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just getting my Bricklink store going and wondering how much information is needed on the splash and terms pages.  I see some very elaborate pages and some that are pretty bare bones.  I'm not a web designer so I don't think I can create the former, is there any information beyond the very basics that would be recommended?  I have sold on ebay for over a decade, and have bought from Bricklink for years now, but never sold on the platform.  This is mostly figures and figure parts.  I will have some sets on there but this is not a huge operation and not expecting the world.  I have set some inventory but am still closed at the moment.  Just don't want to open and have a bunch of questions from pros of the site wondering what the hell I'm doing.  Thanks.

5 minutes ago, Huskers1236 said:

Just getting my Bricklink store going and wondering how much information is needed on the splash and terms pages.  I see some very elaborate pages and some that are pretty bare bones.  I'm not a web designer so I don't think I can create the former, is there any information beyond the very basics that would be recommended?  I have sold on ebay for over a decade, and have bought from Bricklink for years now, but never sold on the platform.  This is mostly figures and figure parts.  I will have some sets on there but this is not a huge operation and not expecting the world.  I have set some inventory but am still closed at the moment.  Just don't want to open and have a bunch of questions from pros of the site wondering what the hell I'm doing.  Thanks.

I just looked at a bunch of decent sized stores' terms and then copied and pasted the one I liked the best. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Huskers1236 said:

Lol, this crossed my mind but thought maybe it was like stealing ebay pictures.  Intellectual property maybe?  Ha.

We are small time Bricklink seller (we mainly purchase).

However, what we did was... took a look at a few good examples of other sellers and then get a general outline together.

Our outline (under "General Terms") focused on three key pieces of information: Payments (how we accept payment or payment terms), Communication (how we communicate or how we answer if they have questions) and Box Condition (we mainly sell sets). We just gave brief descriptions/paragraphs explaining those three points under General Terms.

And then under "Shipping Policy"....we focused on: Shipping (how we ship and with who... USPS/UPS/Etc), and Invoices/Handling (how long it takes us to invoice you and how quickly you should receive your item, etc).

It is not a lot of detail, but enough that it does not scare your buyers away...because some people list way too much info and looks like a ton of legal do's and do not's. If you have been selling on eBay for a number of years, then you kind of know some of the typical things that can happen in any transaction. And then you can adjust your outline/paragraphs accordingly. We also say that we are open to questions before any purchase and to ask for a shipping quote before a purchase...I have not had any issues with any of our transactions.

Hope this helps. 

Edited by Kevink24

7 minutes ago, Kevink24 said:

We are small time Bricklink seller (we mainly purchase).

However, what we did was... took a look at a few good examples of other sellers and then get a general outline together.

Our outline (under "General Terms") focused on three key pieces of information: Payments (how we accept payment or payment terms), Communication (how we communicate or how we answer if they have questions) and Box Condition (we mainly sell sets). We just gave brief descriptions/paragraphs explaining those three points under General Terms.

And then under "Shipping Policy"....we focused on: Shipping (how we ship and with who... USPS/UPS/Etc), and Invoices/Handling (how long it takes us to invoice you and how quickly you should receive your item, etc).

It is not a lot of detail, but enough that it does not scare your buyers away...because some people list way too much info and looks like a ton of legal do's and do not's. If you have been selling on eBay for a number of years, then you kind of know some of the typical things that can happen in any transaction. And then you can adjust your outline/paragraphs accordingly. We also say that we are open to questions before any purchase and to ask for a shipping quote before a purchase...I have not had any issues with any of our transactions.

Hope this helps. 

Why are you talking about yourself in plural? 

George is getting mad!

• Like 1

Thanks guys.  I will surf some stores for more ideas but don't think I'll copy/paste.  I have most of the basics, but have gotten some ideas of things to add.  I'll put my store link up when I'm done and you guys have a look.  I guarantee it won't be pretty, I'm not a graphic/visual kind of person.  

2 minutes ago, Huskers1236 said:

Alright, I think I have what I need for terms though it's all on the splash page.  Link to store, please give me feedback before I go live.  Code is 8213

https://store.bricklink.com/Huskers1236&utm_content=globalnav#/splash

Thanks 

Took a quick look. I think you're pretty close to what is needed for a minimal but informative page. Couple of comments:

- Take out the banter from the first part. Do your customers really need to know you are new as a seller? They'll find out based on seller feedback anyways, if they care.

- Itemize the top part (use bullet points): Figs and parts will be bagged separately. Sealed sets are in good condition, if you need mint, contact beforehand. etc.

- Clean up your Tracking section - it has some spelling mistakes and non-flowing sentences.

- I'd put the $5 minimum order in your top section as well, including the US only shipping.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Phil B said:

Took a quick look. I think you're pretty close to what is needed for a minimal but informative page. Couple of comments:

- Take out the banter from the first part. Do your customers really need to know you are new as a seller? They'll find out based on seller feedback anyways, if they care.

- Itemize the top part (use bullet points): Figs and parts will be bagged separately. Sealed sets are in good condition, if you need mint, contact beforehand. etc.

- Clean up your Tracking section - it has some spelling mistakes and non-flowing sentences.

- I'd put the $5 minimum order in your top section as well, including the US only shipping.

Thanks for the advice.  I updated and cleaned up the splash page.

1 hour ago, Huskers1236 said:

Thanks for the advice.  I updated and cleaned up the splash page.

Probably just me, but I don't have a splash page and just use the terms section as it lays things out fairly easily.  Same thing I'm sure, but I usually always click on "terms' of any stores I'm shopping at 1st.  

The only comment I have is that their are "many" shipping prices.  I used to have it like you did but got tired of actually having to put everything together, then weigh, then complete the wrapping stage which basically means, everything is 100% complete on your end but then sometimes the buyer doesn't pay, so now you've done everything with no reward.  I had a few of those in a row, then switched it so that I can simply estimate shipping and if I under-estimate I don't mind taking the hit, but never over-estimate the cost.  I feel very confident in my stock so I'm not worried about invoicing too quickly and pull orders based on the buyers feedback.  If it is 0, I invoice before pulling, just about everything else I always pull the order first and have confidence the buyer will come through so that I can let the buyer know if there is any issues prior to payment and invoicing.

Otherwise, looks good.  Best of luck out there.  Feel free to take anything from mine and copy/paste*

*5% royalty per order for copying/pasting :) 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Huskers1236 said:

Alright, I think I have what I need for terms though it's all on the splash page.  Link to store, please give me feedback before I go live.  Code is 8213

https://store.bricklink.com/Huskers1236&utm_content=globalnav#/splash

Thanks 

I don't think it's clear whether you charge the total weight of the package, or just the Lego weight. It's easier to use the Lego only weight because BL does that for you so you don't need to faff around packing it, weighing it, invoicing and then finding out the buyer pulls out. I've always found buyers are happier paying Lego only weight, and for the few that pass from one postage band into another it's going to cost you next to nothing in the long run.

1 hour ago, legochris said:

I don't think it's clear whether you charge the total weight of the package, or just the Lego weight. It's easier to use the Lego only weight because BL does that for you so you don't need to faff around packing it, weighing it, invoicing and then finding out the buyer pulls out. I've always found buyers are happier paying Lego only weight, and for the few that pass from one postage band into another it's going to cost you next to nothing in the long run.

Is that a thing?  People charge only for the Lego weight and not total shipping weight?  Thus taking a loss on shipping every time?  I personally don't check to see what the weight of my Bricklink purchases are prior to shipping materials.  I know about what the shipping should be and as long as it's obvious they are gouging me I'm cool with it.    

With what I will be selling, most of my purchases will be First Class and materials will tack on an ounce or 2, which is probably adding $.25 to the order.  I can't imagine someone worrying about that, but who knows.

I have always offered free shipping on Ebay but I'm dealing with larger sets so it's easier to build in the shipping into the price.  This is going to be small parts orders where taking even a small loss constitutes a larger %.

Others feel free to chime in on this.  I have honestly not heard of this tactic but maybe it's more prevalent on Bricklink vs. other selling platforms.

45 minutes ago, Huskers1236 said:

Is that a thing?  People charge only for the Lego weight and not total shipping weight?  Thus taking a loss on shipping every time?  I personally don't check to see what the weight of my Bricklink purchases are prior to shipping materials.  I know about what the shipping should be and as long as it's obvious they are gouging me I'm cool with it.    

With what I will be selling, most of my purchases will be First Class and materials will tack on an ounce or 2, which is probably adding $.25 to the order.  I can't imagine someone worrying about that, but who knows.

I have always offered free shipping on Ebay but I'm dealing with larger sets so it's easier to build in the shipping into the price.  This is going to be small parts orders where taking even a small loss constitutes a larger %.

Others feel free to chime in on this.  I have honestly not heard of this tactic but maybe it's more prevalent on Bricklink vs. other selling platforms.

In the uk you pay shipping on a tiered basis, so 0-100g, 101-250g etc. so mostly the weight of your packing materials won't take it into the next tier. Thr customer thinks you're doing them a favour but it's not costing you anything, so happy customer. The exceptions are the orders at the top end if the tier where your packing takes it into the next tier but I'll live with the extra few pence on those. If you're paying shipping without the tiers (not sure in your country) then yes it would cost you every time.

I've found selling on BL that a lot of my orders are from younger buyers who don't have a whole lot of free cash so they count every penny. (therefore it matters to them). I don't have a minimum order £ tho, so that's probably why I get those buyers but I've got no problem with doing small orders. Each to their own I guess,

1 hour ago, Alpinemaps said:

I think it's more that with the BL weight, you can add in your known packaging material weight and get a pretty accurate weight for estimating postage.

I feel I've tried doing this but so many items are so different size/strength wise and some items I would rather Box it up (which adds some extra weight vs bubble) than put in a bubble mailer due to Value of item, size, fragility, etc... This may have been one of the reasons I made the pricing for my shipping so straight forward and into tiers, but also offer the buyer the option to ask how much extra space they have remaining if they want to add more to maximize the shipping weight.  I feel as a buyer, you know if you are paying $3 vs the next tier.  But, we are also only talking about items less than 1lb as everything above and beyond I ship actual weight with no other additions.  This is my scenario at least.

Overall, do what works for you.  For me, and for how I have things typed up in there, it is working just fine and I've had zero complaints about shipping costs. It is straight forward and easy to figure out and I think that's the main thing to have. I have taken a hit on shipping if I feel it is ME whom is adding additional weight to protect the product more.  

Overall, I dislike having to figure out Lot pricing or having to reach X price per Lot and have X lots otherwise be charged extra.  Those stores I skip without even trying to do the Math or figure it out as I don't want to be surprised.

Edited by LegoMan1212