Bricklink/BrickOwl - Discussion, questions, & answers

11 hours ago, Alpinemaps said:

For achieving items so they don't show up on the active screen.

Archiving?  Ha.  That was kind of what I thought it was for but wasn't sure.  Getting better at the platform and have had 3 orders so far.  My only issue will be keeping up a decent inventory since I want to stay specialized with what I sell.  If there aren't decent lots to buy around me my personal inventory will only last so long.

• Like 1

So I got this email. Can somebody with experience shipping to Canada advise on the gift thing?

Hi,

How much to ship to Ontario L4E 0N7 it's a gift can I see pics of the box? Are
you able to declare as a gift? I don't want him to pay fees or duty!

Thanks

Canada has a $20 duty free limit on imported items which is why your buyer requested that you send the purchase as a gift.

It's 50/50 whether your buyer will have to pay tax or not using Canada Post/USPS for toy parts, but your buyer will almost certainly have to pay tax on sets (Lego is duty free).

The seller (you) are best covered by labelling it as a toy or toy parts, instead of gift, but that's up to you.

PM or ask if you have any further questions.

ETA - Don't use UPS, their cross border broker fees are ridiculous for the buyer. I have no opinion about FedEx but I've had ok experiences with them in limited purchases.

On 9/4/2017 at 10:09 AM, Huskers1236 said:

Opened my store the other day and heaven forbid, got an order.  I'm set up for Paypal Onsite right now, I'm assuming it works just like someone sending you money through Paypal?  I have used it on the buyer end, but obviously not the seller end.  Still adding parts, but happy to be on the grid.

Essentially yes.   As a seller it took me a while to figure out how to enable it.  Once it was setup I see that most people use the Onsite feature to pay.   And from my perspective the incoming payments look the same, and if anything payment seems to happen faster.

15 hours ago, Huskers1236 said:

Thanks for the help getting me started everyone.  I've been open a week and have had 11 orders.  I'm sure as things get picked over it will slow quite a bit, but it's pretty exciting right now.  

Congratulations!  It's exciting to see the orders to completion and getting that positive feedback.   Once you're underway it's important to keep new items flowing into your inventory.  As with any serious business If you want to keep the momentum going, you can never "sit back" and watch.   Good luck and keep us posted!

Guest betsy805
46 minutes ago, Huskers1236 said:

Do you guys have issues with buyers completing orders after receiving them?  As a buyer, I make sure to go through my order and complete if everything is acceptable.  It's a bit annoying to know that orders have reached their destination but nothing has been done on the buyers' end.  

I honestly don't even pay attention to that.  No news is good news.  I just look to see when feedback is left.

But now you had me curious so I looked at my first page of orders listed and about half updated the 'shipped' tag

I have a package out to a buyer in Italy and there is no new info on USPS since it was shipped.  The buyer is asking me to contact USPS(when I do the wait time is 2+ hours on the phone)

What will happen if I file a claim with USPS?  The item was only $25, if it isn't delivered am I on the hook for the $25 refund?

Edited by teamhappyfrog

On 9/17/2017 at 1:44 PM, Huskers1236 said:

Do you guys have issues with buyers completing orders after receiving them?  As a buyer, I make sure to go through my order and complete if everything is acceptable.  It's a bit annoying to know that orders have reached their destination but nothing has been done on the buyers' end.  

About 60% give me feedback and complete the order all the way.  The rest I will eventually mark it complete and give feedback and move on as long as tracking shows it has arrived.  It's just like Ebay in a way.  Some buyers leave feedback while others rarely do, if ever.

1 minute ago, LegoMan1212 said:

About 60% give me feedback and complete the order all the way.  The rest I will eventually mark it complete and give feedback and move on as long as tracking shows it has arrived.  It's just like Ebay in a way.  Some buyers leave feedback while others rarely do, if ever.

I'm not too worried about the feedback, but having it marked "completed" at least lets me know I can wash my hands of it and file it away instead of staring at it.  Orders are still very steady, so at least it's keeping me busy.  I TOTALLY see why sellers have minimums now though.  Mine is set to $5 which has worked pretty well so far.  Only a few orders have toed that line so far.

Opened my store the other day and heaven forbid, got an order.  I'm set up for Paypal Onsite right now, I'm assuming it works just like someone sending you money through Paypal?  I have used it on the buyer end, but obviously not the seller end.  Still adding parts, but happy to be on the grid.

Did you have to do anything to the invoice template to get your PayPal link to show up or does that need to happen anymore?

(Finally getting around to opening my store and unsure if I need to bother customizing anything over there.)

Just now, Huskers1236 said:

I'm not too worried about the feedback, but having it marked "completed" at least lets me know I can wash my hands of it and file it away instead of staring at it.  Orders are still very steady, so at least it's keeping me busy.  I TOTALLY see why sellers have minimums now though.  Mine is set to $5 which has worked pretty well so far.  Only a few orders have toed that line so far.

I changed my minimum to 50 cents when I got an order for just 1 hand (the finger part) that cost 6 cents maybe.  I've had plenty of low orders before that, but that one kind of maybe me rethink my value of time for myself a little more.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, gregpj said:

Did you have to do anything to the invoice template to get your PayPal link to show up or does that need to happen anymore?

(Finally getting around to opening my store and unsure if I need to bother customizing anything over there.)

With the onsite payment, I didn't include it but a couple buyers have had issues so I have had to send them the address.  I should probably include that in the invoice template for those that don't want to use onsite payment, but it's so easy I'm not sure why you wouldn't use it.  Both buyers were 0 feedback so they were just new to the program.  I personally prefer the onsite payment structure as it's much faster.

1 minute ago, LegoMan1212 said:

I changed my minimum to 50 cents when I got an order for just 1 hand (the finger part) that cost 6 cents maybe.  I've had plenty of low orders before that, but that one kind of maybe me rethink my value of time for myself a little more.

Yep, I decided from the beginning that $5 was what it would take to be worth my time to pull order, etc.  

• Like 1

OK .. I have a spreadsheet with my "inventory" already on it with plenty of fields for my own personal consumption (it's probably a lot simpler than most)... what's the easiest way to get that into Bricklink. I see they have an import - should I just create a calculated cell to create the right format for a bulk upload from the cell values?

(does anyone have one already they'd share? :))

3 minutes ago, gregpj said:

OK .. I have a spreadsheet with my "inventory" already on it with plenty of fields for my own personal consumption (it's probably a lot simpler than most)... what's the easiest way to get that into Bricklink. I see they have an import - should I just create a calculated cell to create the right format for a bulk upload from the cell values?

(does anyone have one already they'd share? :))

I entered all of mine manually.  I'm sure there is an easier way and it took me forever.  

Go to My Store then Massive Upload. You can upload your spreadsheet into BL in xml format. There is a very brief help screen under instructions. The hard bit will be getting your file correctly formatted I think but doing that should be way quicker then entering it all manually. There is a verification state so it won't let you upload junk. The easiest way is parting out and uploading sets but only if you're starting things off from sets in the first place.

13 minutes ago, legochris said:

Go to My Store then Massive Upload. You can upload your spreadsheet into BL in xml format. There is a very brief help screen under instructions. The hard bit will be getting your file correctly formatted I think but doing that should be way quicker then entering it all manually. There is a verification state so it won't let you upload junk. The easiest way is parting out and uploading sets but only if you're starting things off from sets in the first place.

Maybe I missed it, but I suggest buying the $20 version of Brickstock.  I love it and am now able to find nearly every piece within seconds to add it then upload straight from that into my store, then use secondary sources for decorated pieces.  It's nice also for giving a, to me, better representation of an estimate of pieces that sell vs don't when looking at sets on a top level review.