Bricklink/BrickOwl - Discussion, questions, & answers

Yes. As a BL noob myself, I say: Give the noobs a break.  BL is confusing for first-timers to buy on.  I recently saw one BL seller clearly explain it in his flash page, or maybe under shipping policy, something to the effect of: "If you (as a buyer) are concerned about shipping cost, please place the items in your basket, and then click Request a Quote. I will provide you with an accurate quote including shipping, usually within 24 hours. At that point you can place the order, or not. It is much easier than placing the order, getting the invoice, then cancelling the order..."  Until I saw it spelled out by this seller, I didn't know this was an option.

• Like 3

I give buyers - even new buyers - the benefit of the doubt. I'm more than willing to cancel an order and not leave feedback as long as the buyer communicates.

However, if I send multiple emails, and you don't respond, and I have to file a non-paying buyer against you, then I'm more apt to post a negative.

• Like 1

On 4/21/2017 at 7:12 AM, SageFly said:

I just launched my BrickOwl store yesterday and have a couple questions about shipping and payments since it's handled differently than Bricklink.

• How do you set up Priority Mail Flat Rate box costs? It looks like most of the stores have them setup by weight still, but that allows buyers to select a smaller box than the potential set size.
  • Is there a way to add packaging weight for all shipment rates (ie, I have first class mail as a flat $3.50 up to 8oz final shipping weight). Do I just account for packaging weight in that and reduce the 8oz to something like 7.3oz?

Is there a way to use Bricksync to work backwards from standard setup and update Bricklink when items are sold from BrickOwl? Coding and runtime commands are not one of my strengths and it took me 30 minutes to figure out how to run the .exe on a Mac last night...

There isn't an easy way to do the flat rate.   You could create a separate shipping method and constrain it by volume size, but then your buyer has to know to pick the right one when checking out.   What we do is just price band everything by weight, and if we can use the flat rate when packing the order we refund any excess postage.   Never had any complaints from buyers on BO about the shipping price structure.

And yes, reduce your band weight thresholds by the packaging weight, so that you don't under charge on postage.

• Like 2

I'm still newer to the Bricklink scene but had a buyer put in an order tonight and ask that I send in an envelope to save shipping costs.  I'm not in the wrong here by saying No am I?  I don't know why I would open myself up to the risk that the items get destroyed going through the mail that way.  I feel the buyer put me in a semi-tough spot because now I have to say No and also open up the option of cancelling the order instead of billing as normal.  

What normally happens in this case and do I have any other remedy's other than to wait this out to see if the payment is still made or if see if the buyer wants to cancel?  What happens when it is canceled anyway?  Anything bad on my record?  Just wondering so I can be prepared for next steps if it goes that route.  

Thanks

I'm still newer to the Bricklink scene but had a buyer put in an order tonight and ask that I send in an envelope to save shipping costs.  I'm not in the wrong here by saying No am I?  I don't know why I would open myself up to the risk that the items get destroyed going through the mail that way.  I feel the buyer put me in a semi-tough spot because now I have to say No and also open up the option of cancelling the order instead of billing as normal.  
What normally happens in this case and do I have any other remedy's other than to wait this out to see if the payment is still made or if see if the buyer wants to cancel?  What happens when it is canceled anyway?  Anything bad on my record?  Just wondering so I can be prepared for next steps if it goes that route.  
Thanks

Whenever I smell something fishy about the shipping I tell the customer that I print labels through PayPal for the accountability, through the USPS tracking, and for the extra assurance through their Seller Protection. Stamped envelopes do not qualify for this. In order for me to ship in a stamped envelope, you would have to forfeit all rights to make claims against lost or damaged mail.
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, donbee said:

Whenever I smell something fishy about the shipping I tell the customer that I print labels through PayPal for the accountability, through the USPS tracking, and for the extra assurance through their Seller Protection. Stamped envelopes do not qualify for this. In order for me to ship in a stamped envelope, you would have to forfeit all rights to make claims against lost or damaged mail.

The problem with that statement is: That last sentence still gives the buyer the option to say "ok, I waive my rights and want it in an envelope", which holds no value should the buyer put in a claim with Paypal once the item arrives damaged.

I do not budge on the tracked shipping. I have this in my Shipping terms. ALL items will be sent with tracking, and I even include that items over a certain threshold will be sent with signature requirement as well.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BrickLegacy said:

Ship with a bubble mailer and eat the difference. Update your store policy to only use bubble mailers along with a minimum shipping charge using first class (no letters).

Consider it a valuable lesson learned for just $2.

I already have this covered in there. It doesn't specifically say "no letters" but says I ship 1st class or priority mail only.

Thanks for the responses.  I believe that since there are only 2 sellers of 1 particular item out there, that possibly the person is waiting to see what the other store says and seeing which option is cheapest or more convenient.  Could be wrong, but it's just a hunch.  Either way I hope there is communication again as I sent my response within 15 minutes of the order saying I won't ship below 1st class package.

Thanks

If they've already paid: 1. Refund PayPal payment. 2. Update shipping cost for the order. 3. Send updated invoice to buyer.

If they haven't payed: Send invoice and once (three days?) have elapsed without payment, you can cancel the order without negative impact on you or buyer.

I'm fairly new, but I've done both of the two things above recently.

I'm sending my second overseas letter rate this week at customers request (call me crazy!) Both were small orders that I was able to reinforce while still keeping them under 3/4" thick. Also, if you ship out letter rate from PayPal, tracking is included.

For international shipments, the price difference between package and letter rate have been $10-$12. I'll do it on a case by case basis for international; never for domestic.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, I bought minifigures from Legoman1212's store lately. The package couldn't have arrived faster. He wrapped in bubble wrap inside a bubble mailer; top notch. Check him out!

• Like 4

3 hours ago, randrace said:

Both were small orders that I was able to reinforce while still keeping them under 3/4" thick. Also, if you ship out letter rate from PayPal, tracking is included.

Letter rate is under 1/4", not 3/4". Anything going letter rate has to go through the standard letter processing equipment, which sqeezes the envelopes quite hard. You also run the risk of postage due being added, which forces the buyer to pay the difference once the package arrives (this may not be the case for international though). Here's a link to the requirements for First-Class international mail: http://pe.usps.com/text/imm/immc2_016.htm

I would highly recommend not sending anything through that way unless you're okay eating the shipping cost and item cost. You're still responsible for the package getting damaged in shipping due to poor packaging, even if that's what the customer requested. Large packaged are really only covered by insurance if they meet the minimum packing requirements too, which is at least 1" of padding on all sides, sometimes 2" depending on the carrier.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, randrace said:

EDIT: I forgot to mention, I bought minifigures from Legoman1212's store lately. The package couldn't have arrived faster. He wrapped in bubble wrap inside a bubble mailer; top notch. Check him out! emoji6.pngemoji106.png

This was very kind of you to take the time to write.  Thank you

• Like 2

I've got bricksync up and running, but I'm finding that when I update a price on Bricklink, the price isn't updating on Brickowl. I haven't changed any of the bricksync settings, but from what I understand, Bricklink inventory and prices are the masters and it should update Brickowl accordingly.

Also, do I need to run Bricksync whenever I make a sale/add items to keep inventory updated, or does it do it on a scheduled basis if I leave the command window open?

4 minutes ago, SageFly said:

I've got bricksync up and running, but I'm finding that when I update a price on Bricklink, the price isn't updating on Brickowl. I haven't changed any of the bricksync settings, but from what I understand, Bricklink inventory and prices are the masters and it should update Brickowl accordingly.

Also, do I need to run Bricksync whenever I make a sale/add items to keep inventory updated, or does it do it on a scheduled basis if I leave the command window open?

Did you do a "blmaster on" in Bricksync before you updated the prices, and then a "blmaster off" as soon as you were done?

As long as BrickSync is running, it will keep the inventory in sync (provided you use "blmaster" to signal changes to the BL inventory outside of sales).

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Phil B said:

Did you do a "blmaster on" in Bricksync before you updated the prices, and then a "blmaster off" as soon as you were done?

As long as BrickSync is running, it will keep the inventory in sync (provided you use "blmaster" to signal changes to the BL inventory outside of sales).

I didn't run the blmaster command. If I run "blmaster on" and don't turn it off, is that okay?

Inventory levels are updating correctly with orders, but I just realized that the parts I've uploaded the past couple days have not been added to BO.

I don't plan to make any changes to Brickowl directly, it's strictly a sales avenue (although I should add a bunch of minifigures, it's severely lacking).

Edited by SageFly

1 minute ago, SageFly said:

I didn't run the blmaster command. If I run "blmaster on" and don't turn it off, is that okay?

I don't plan to make any changes to Brickowl directly, it's strictly a sales avenue (although I should add a bunch of minifigures, it's severely lacking).

"Blmaster on" temporarily suspends syncing between BL and BO, so no, you should not leave it set to "on". Set it to "on" before you make your changes, and then commit them with "off". I think it is possible to make changes first, and then do a quick "on" followed by "off" as well, but not sure if that is officially supported.

BrickSync does not support making inventory changes to BO and then propagating them back to BL (there is no equivalent "bomaster" command). So anything you add in BO will not be visible in BL. I don't know if BrickSync removes those added BO records when it syncs (or when you do a manual deep sync using the "sync" command).

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SageFly said:

Letter rate is under 1/4", not 3/4". Anything going letter rate has to go through the standard letter processing equipment, which sqeezes the envelopes quite hard. You also run the risk of postage due being added, which forces the buyer to pay the difference once the package arrives (this may not be the case for international though). Here's a link to the requirements for First-Class international mail: http://pe.usps.com/text/imm/immc2_016.htm

I would highly recommend not sending anything through that way unless you're okay eating the shipping cost and item cost. You're still responsible for the package getting damaged in shipping due to poor packaging, even if that's what the customer requested. Large packaged are really only covered by insurance if they meet the minimum packing requirements too, which is at least 1" of padding on all sides, sometimes 2" depending on the carrier.

You are absolutely right, SageFly. I was using the term 'letter' incorrectly, I meant 'flat.' I don't mean to steer anyone down the wrong path, sorry.

Thanks for the info about package padding thickness for insurance coverage. I didn't know about that.

1 hour ago, Phil B said:

I think it is possible to make changes first, and then do a quick "on" followed by "off" as well, but not sure if that is officially supported.

I've been doing this as I often forget to turn 'blmaster on' before adding listings to BL; It seems to be working.

Edited by randrace

2 hours ago, Phil B said:

"Blmaster on" temporarily suspends syncing between BL and BO, so no, you should not leave it set to "on". Set it to "on" before you make your changes, and then commit them with "off". I think it is possible to make changes first, and then do a quick "on" followed by "off" as well, but not sure if that is officially supported.

If you don't enter the blmaster mode and start modifying your BL inventory, there's a risk that BrickSync may wipe out these changes. If the software encounters any API call failure or network error, it will automatically "sync" to make sure the BL inventory is exactly as the software believe it should be (and so, any change is reverted).

You may be lucky most of the time, but I don't recommend that.

Edited by Stragus
  • Like 3

I received feedback from the creator that turning on blmaster after making changes in Bricklink is the way to go. I'm sure it works both ways, but if the creator says it's good to go that way, I'm happy doing it. That way I don't have to worry about running it each time I make a change (and I make changes from multiple devices/computers that don't have bricksync).

5 minutes ago, SageFly said:

I received feedback from the creator that turning on blmaster after making changes in Bricklink is the way to go. I'm sure it works both ways, but if the creator says it's good to go that way, I'm happy doing it. That way I don't have to worry about running it each time I make a change (and I make changes from multiple devices/computers that don't have bricksync).

The creator ( @Stragus) just posted above your post and said it is risky. Did he PM you to tell you something different?

2 minutes ago, Phil B said:

The creator ( @Stragus) just posted above your post and said it is risky. Did he PM you to tell you something different?

I was mistaken on who I was quoting. Appologies @Stragus. I will follow your recommendation and revert to turning blmaster on/off after changing inventory on as needed.

Thank you for everything you do for this community!