Bricklink/BrickOwl - Discussion, questions, & answers

This may have been answered previously but I can't find it.
If I wanted to bricklink an entire large set, do I have select each individual piece and add it to my want list or is there a sort of "select all" button? Can't see any myself but I'm no pro at bricklink. Cheers!

Part set to want list is what you are looking for
  • Like 3

I opened a store and had my first sale about a month ago. I've been slowly adding all my new and used parts. I still have plenty of stuff that's not sorted. I basically had to start over from the last time I tried to do this because my inventory and record keeping were a disaster. I've reinvested most of the sales from the past month into more bulk lots and some sale sets. This week I have about 30+ lbs of bulk coming. I know I need to pull all the basic bricks first because that is what I am overwhelmingly selling the most of.

The best part of doing my sorting and inventorying is that I am finally finishing the 25 sets that I had started to piece together from bulk. It's so easy to just stop and put everything away in a box in a room. I am happy to overcome my inertia.

The money I am getting is not really enough to be anywhere near close to worth my time, but I assume that once I have everything inventoried and stored properly, my time commitments will be less. Besides, it's giving me a chance to take care of some sets that I want to build for me and hopefully drop their prices to something close to modest.

• Like 4

I just completed packing for my very first BL order today.  It took me a bit to get used to the wonky interface but I had once buyer agree after sending the invoice.  Just a question to everyone out there: what do you guys use to ship and print labels? I was going to go to the local Post Office and just pay the postage there but then I remember that USPS can let you print labels at home? Is there a way to obtain a shipping discount like eBay or would it simply be face-value?

Thanks for the input!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TANV said:

I just completed packing for my very first BL order today.  It took me a bit to get used to the wonky interface but I had once buyer agree after sending the invoice.  Just a question to everyone out there: what do you guys use to ship and print labels? I was going to go to the local Post Office and just pay the postage there but then I remember that USPS can let you print labels at home? Is there a way to obtain a shipping discount like eBay or would it simply be face-value?

Thanks for the input!

paypal shipping.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, TANV said:

Thanks for the input!

8 minutes ago, newbie77 said:

paypal shipping.

I'd like to add that when using Paypal shipping, make sure that you copy the tracking number to your buyer's transaction so that they will see it. Forsome reason,Every time I have printed from Paypal for the past while, it doesn't link the 2 transactions.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, thoroakenfelder said:

I'd like to add that when using Paypal shipping, make sure that you copy the tracking number to your buyer's transaction so that they will see it. Forsome reason,Every time I have printed from Paypal for the past while, it doesn't link the 2 transactions.

Very much this.  As a relatively frequent buyer of parts on BL, it is annoying that I don't get tracking on probably 50% of my purchases. 

31 minutes ago, newbie77 said:

paypal shipping.

I just prepared the label and entered the requisite values.  I noticed that the Paypal shipping was slightly cheaper than what I had entered onto USPS online.  Is this seem normal for the course? It's a few dollars but still. Hmm.

1 hour ago, Huskers1236 said:

Very much this.  As a relatively frequent buyer of parts on BL, it is annoying that I don't get tracking on probably 50% of my purchases. 

I put the tracking in three places:

Shipping confirmation / thank you

Under the tracking number tab for that order

Attached to the PayPal transaction

• Like 2

14 hours ago, TANV said:

I just prepared the label and entered the requisite values.  I noticed that the Paypal shipping was slightly cheaper than what I had entered onto USPS online.  Is this seem normal for the course? It's a few dollars but still. Hmm.

Yes, it will be between $0.50-$3 cheaper than the USPS website quote.

1 hour ago, Elkkthunder said:

is there a way to look at sets and sort them to know the most expensive pieces per set?

Yes, use BrickStock (brickstock.patrickbrans.com). Once installed, press Ctrl-I I (i, not L) then click on the magnifying glass icon, type in the set code including the "-1" suffix and press OK. Once loaded, do Ctrl-A to select all pieces, Ctrl-G to download prices (defaults to average 6 month). Then use column sorting to get what you need.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, justapilgrim said:

If selling going to be regular here or other places I would recommend looking at a dymo label printer. The few minutes it saves with packages really adds up

Actually, I need printer first, @justapilgrim? I've been meaning to get one for awhile but...yeah...things...stuff.

Yeah.

2 hours ago, Elkkthunder said:

is there a way to look at sets and sort them to know the most expensive pieces per set?

1 hour ago, Phil B said:

Yes, use BrickStock (brickstock.patrickbrans.com). Once installed, press Ctrl-I I (i, not L) then click on the magnifying glass icon, type in the set code including the "-1" suffix and press OK. Once loaded, do Ctrl-A to select all pieces, Ctrl-G to download prices (defaults to average 6 month). Then use column sorting to get what you need.

was wondering the same thing.  thanks for the reply 

Anyone know a cheaper place to get IRIS drawer storage. Amazon pricing is up quite a bit since last order and was looking for something similar to before - $20 4 drawer and 31.00 for a 6 drawer. Also anyone looking for AKRO drawers, the best place to get them is midlandhardware.com. Just ordered another (6) 2-64, 2-44 and 2-24 drawer units.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, glostik said:

what are considered the most expensive colors over all?

Ive heard all the shades of pink and purple and then sand green.

Depends the specific piece, but as a general rule of thumb, the colours with the highest demand are sand green, white, black, light and dark bluish grey. Then there's a second tier with trans-clear, tan, yellow, and some others. That's at least how I have it in my head. That said there are some very expensive pieces in other colors (like the roof of that Superman car in the SDCC set which is green).

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Pebble&Park said:

Depends the specific piece, but as a general rule of thumb, the colours with the highest demand are sand green, white, black, light and dark bluish grey. Then there's a second tier with trans-clear, tan, yellow, and some others. That's at least how I have it in my head. That said there are some very expensive pieces in other colors (like the roof of that Superman car in the SDCC set which is green).

Wouldn't old light and dark grey top the list of price per piece?