Bricklink/BrickOwl - Discussion, questions, & answers

This is great info guys. As a new seller, you've given me a lot (pun intended) to think about.

I've now been open for a week. I listed 6000 parts in 800 lots. My 6 orders this week all been $18 or less for minifig parts and printed tiles. Moving forward, I think I'll only list items worth .15 cents or more to simplify my operation. I've already been excluding parts when parting out sets that seem not worth the time, or are in too few quantity to locate easily when picking.

I've been parting out torsos to give buyers a nice variety of arms. I think my focus will be on people putting together custom minifigs.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, randrace said:

This is great info guys. As a new seller, you've given me a lot (pun intended) to think about.

I've now been open for a week. I listed 6000 parts in 800 lots. My 6 orders this week all been $18 or less for minifig parts and printed tiles. Moving forward, I think I'll only list items worth .15 cents or more to simplify my operation. I've already been excluding parts when parting out sets that seem not worth the time, or are in too few quantity to locate easily when picking.

I've been parting out torsos to give buyers a nice variety of arms. I think my focus will be on people putting together custom minifigs.

Your really going to limit the amount of buyers you get staying about $.15 for parts.  Depends on if this is just a fun side gig or not but I wouldn't do that.  Minifigure parts might be a good niche market though, never tried that route.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, newbie77 said:

if anyone says that they pull order in 2 seconds then i would say "stop making yourself feel better" . unless you have robots working for you and packing there is no one can pull any order in 2 seconds. it takes roughly about 30 second to open the zip lock empty the bin(with content) without counting and close the ziplock [ i.e. per lot]. 

Yeah, I didn't mean to really imply 2 seconds, but just a quick turnaround.  You're correct - there's going to be a time investment on either side.

So, to expand what I was saying earlier (now that I'm on a keyboard):

When I first set up my shop, I only "sorted" by sets.  So, if I was going to part out Set A, and I had five of them, I'd part them all into one (or two) small containers or bags.  This, I discovered for myself, was no efficient.  When I need to pull a specific part, I was having to dig dig dig through the parts to try to find that one piece.  All of the inventory that I have like that is in my temporary holding area on BL, until I can get the time to properly sort it in my current method.

My current method is to sort by part types, and put them into separate bins.  So all 2x4 bricks are in one container, all 4x4 plates in another, etc.

This is where my "2 seconds" comes from.  When an order gets placed, I can easily see where I have the parts (I track that in BL), and then pull them from that location and be done.

I've found that it works out good for me, because I can quickly pull together an order when it comes it.  It's especially good if I forget to do it the night before, and want to put it together before I leave in the morning.  Or even if it's 10:30 at night.  I'm not spending 30 minutes on an order; just spending less than five to put it together, seal up the envelope, and print the label.

• Like 2

BrickLink is just a platform. It's good to remember that every store is unique. Each seller has its own threshold for time and effort spent. It's own accessibility to various sets and parts. It's own goals and ambitions.

Restaurants are a good analogy. Someone could say 'all restaurants are the same, you pay someone else to cook the food for you and you eat it there.' But surely, not all are created equal.

Right now, I'm more of a 5Guys kind of restaurant. I have one main draw (poly bags). If someone orders a hot dog or a coke, that's money in the pocket, but that's not my main clientele. My biggest competitor is the mcDonalds type store. The one that has everything. They sell large quantities at low margins. Have specials like free shipping, coupons, and gwps (happy meals).
When they start selling a set I have, my sales/profits drop dramatically.

I'm trying to move over into a Carrabbas kind of store. Where I have a variety of premium, unique dishes that draw people in. I'll have appetizers (poly bags) and drinks (loose pieces) they can buy to fill their plate, but really they came for the risotto.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, donbee said:

BrickLink is just a platform. It's good to remember that every store is unique. Each seller has its own threshold for time and effort spent. It's own accessibility to various sets and parts. It's own goals and ambitions.

Restaurants are a good analogy. Someone could say 'all restaurants are the same, you pay someone else to cook the food for you and you eat it there.' But surely, not all are created equal.

Right now, I'm more of a 5Guys kind of restaurant. I have one main draw (poly bags). If someone orders a hot dog or a coke, that's money in the pocket, but that's not my main clientele. My biggest competitor is the mcDonalds type store. The one that has everything. They sell large quantities at low margins. Have specials like free shipping, coupons, and gwps (happy meals).
When they start selling a set I have, my sales/profits drop dramatically.

I'm trying to move over into a Carrabbas kind of store. Where I have a variety of premium, unique dishes that draw people in. I'll have appetizers (poly bags) and drinks (loose pieces) they can buy to fill their plate, but really they came for the risotto.

well said!

• Like 1

I initially saw this as a hobby and a way to get free Lego for my kids. My slogan is "making dreams come true, one brick at a time. " and that one brick at a time line was true until some one bought one Brick, and it took me 30 min to find it.

Getting more than one sale below a dollar made me put in a $5 minimum. I just couldn't justify the time spent. My inventory is not sophisticated enough.

But around November I got real busy fulfilling sales. Holiday season and a decent reputation kept me busy. Plus eBay was running hot due to parting out Dimension Starter packs, so I went to a $10 minimum purchase.

I've found that if you have what someone wants, they'll meet your minimum. Since I deal in a lot of poly bags, a $10 minimum ensures 2-3 items, and maybe a minifig or loose pieces for filler. Most of my loose pieces are under the 6 month average, so I think people feel comfortable adding on to their order to get their poly-fix. That's what's worked for me. I run at least 10 orders a week these days averaging over $20 an order (not including 40252 outliers) so it keeps me busy enough to want to be more efficient, and profitable enough to keep wanting to do it.

I have 9033 items listed, in 3221 lots. A lot of sets, as I'm changing my focus.

I have 100s if not 1000s of new pieces I haven't listed as I've grown weary of parting out. Pieces over $0.15 Doesnt sound too bad. I'm starting to get a feel for what my customers want. And will make some adjustments.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, randrace said:

...I've been parting out torsos to give buyers a nice variety of arms. I think my focus will be on people putting together custom minifigs...

Just curious, do you have an effective / preferred trick to pulling the arms without bending the clips?

I've done it by swinging the arm up, then placing a thin knife against the torso (sharp edge to armpit) and swinging the arm back down over the blade.   With a gentle twist of the blade the arm pops out of the socket.  

• Like 1

Just curious, do you have an effective / preferred trick to pulling the arms without bending the clips?
I've done it by swinging the arm up, then placing a thin knife against the torso (sharp edge to armpit) and swinging the arm back down over the blade.   With a gentle twist of the blade the arm pops out of the socket.  

Better than the way I've done it. I used to just raise the arm and squeeze when I was kid. I switched scores of arms growing up. Tried a few times with my son's minifigs and all the torsos cracked.

Not like how they use to make 'em.

I use this method:
Raising the arm in question forward and then, with your thumb, slowly bending towards the side from the armpit, while holding your index finger behind the arm to keep the motion slow. 

I like your method; I'll give it a shot.

I opened my Bricklink store three days ago and I got two sales today. I figured out how to add shipping charge after the order has been placed. I clicked 'Ready' for order status. Is that all I need to do to have the invoice sent to the buyer? Is the invoice sent after I update the order cost or after I change the order to 'Ready'?

One more question:
I entered my PayPal email address when setting up my shipping settings; does that mean the buyer now has the 'onsite payment' option?

Many thanks, I'm excited to graduate to Bricklink buyer to seller!

Well done I'm in the process of setting up my Bricklink store , can I pick your brains how many lots / items did you have to generate these first to sales and what sort of stuff I've collected some nice sets to part out and brought them really we'll I'm just trying to gather as much knowledge as possible , and as you got 2 sales in first 3 days thought you would be a great place to start jay
  • Like 1

Well done I'm in the process of setting up my Bricklink store , can I pick your brains how many lots / items did you have to generate these first to sales and what sort of stuff I've collected some nice sets to part out and brought them really we'll I'm just trying to gather as much knowledge as possible , and as you got 2 sales in first 3 days thought you would be a great place to start jay

Sure. I now have 8000 items in 1000 lots. I just got my 11th order today. What people seem to want of my items is minifigure parts and printed tiles. Even though I have some well priced bricks and pieces, except for one order for ten 1cent 2x2 jumpers, it's all been figs and printed tiles.

My first order came after I listed very few items.

After I part out a set, I click on Account>Notify to send an automatic email when I list parts on people's Wanted Lists.

My bricks are priced low and my minifigure parts are priced very high.

I've gotten two small orders. The 10 cent order mentioned above. One for one 5 cent bat accessory only (!) I've been listing some things 1 cent to try to stir up some interest. It's only a matter of time before I get a 1 cent order. I bumped up my shipping charge to $3. I'm thinking of doing $4 flat shipping for one pound or less domestic.

Four of my buyers were new users with 0 feedback.

• Like 1

For 0 feedback buyers, I send a quick message welcoming them to BL, and conforming their order and that they understand they have to pay for their own shipping. I've had several that were caught of guard, assuming shipping was included. Particular from Canada for some reason. They typically don't leave feedback for me.

I let them cancel if that's the case.

• Like 1

It doesn't matter how many you have for sale, it's WHAT you have for sale, and how much you're charging.

My first sale was a bunch of used 2x4 and 1x1 bricks to a Bricks4kidz owner in MA. I posted them because they were easy to find in the catalogue. I had no idea how to do anything. So I matched the second to lowest price and had a sale by the end of the week. Then I was hooked.
  • Like 1

My bricklink store has exploded this week. I'm going to spend all day tomorrow pulling minifigures out of sets and getting dimensions sets out the door. 75% of my sales are all overseas at this point. Anyone else think the new movie is helping things move?

I too have seen an international demand for batman movie products. I have a wait list for tuxedo and disco batmans.
  • Like 1

On 2/9/2017 at 2:24 PM, Lottieslego said:

Well done I'm in the process of setting up my Bricklink store , can I pick your brains how many lots / items did you have to generate these first to sales and what sort of stuff I've collected some nice sets to part out and brought them really we'll I'm just trying to gather as much knowledge as possible , and as you got 2 sales in first 3 days thought you would be a great place to start emoji5.png jay

I discovered a piece that may jump start your store. If you have any of these Round 1x1 Tiles, list them. I listed what I had, in various colors, on a whim. I got one order each for them on BL and Brick Owl within a day. I felt ridiculous listing the one black 1x1 tile I had, but someone bought it, and maybe it was that one tile that roped them in.

• Like 1

I discovered a piece that may jump start your store. If you have any of these Round 1x1 Tiles, list them. I listed what I had, in various colors, on a whim. I got one order each for them on BL and Brick Owl within a day. I felt ridiculous listing the one black 1x1 tile I had, but someone bought it, and maybe it was that one tile that roped them in.

I have not been able to sell the green and red ones. But clear sells well for me.
  • Like 2

In need of some advice. Sold a sealed set on the 5th. Buyer requested to ship first class (package weighs 3+ pounds). Explained that it was ineligible for first class because of weight and asked if priority would be ok. Even offered to split the shipping cost. Buyer agrees. Sent the invoice that night.
No payment three days later. Send another invoice. No payment. Seven days later I send a friendly reminder email. Still no payment or email reply.
Just how lenient is everyone with the buyer in this situation? Thanks!

1 minute ago, damnsanders said:

In need of some advice. Sold a sealed set on the 5th. Buyer requested to ship first class (package weighs 3+ pounds). Explained that it was ineligible for first class because of weight and asked if priority would be ok. Even offered to split the shipping cost. Buyer agrees. Sent the invoice that night.
No payment three days later. Send another invoice. No payment. Seven days later I send a friendly reminder email. Still no payment or email reply.
Just how lenient is everyone with the buyer in this situation? Thanks!

I send a reminder after two to three days. If I haven't heard from them by the 5th I send another email. At 7 days I file a NPB and consider the order canceled (Meaning I re-upload my inventory)

If you haven't heard from them over about 5 days or so they usually aren't going to pay for it.

• Like 1

Got a quote request on BO today from a new buyer (0 feedback) From France. Looked at USPS and FCMI says tracking for France has been suspended. PMI does not have have tracking option online, Post Office lady says only Customs #, but that's for retail over the counter. She said PME is my tracked option. 

Given that the cheapest shipping option is ~$35 and the set in question is $75, I doubt even if I provide a quote the buyer will agree to the sale. What shipping option would you choose? I like tracking because it helps me in case of a scam, so I'm leaning towards sending him him $75+ PME quote.... suggestions?

Edited by Phil B

Got a quote request on BO today from a new buyer (0 feedback) From France. Looked at USPS and FCMI says tracking for France has been suspended. PMI does not have have tracking option online, Post Office lady says only Customs #, but that's for retail over the counter. She said PME is my tracked option. 
Given that the cheapest shipping option is ~$35 and the set in question is $75, I doubt even if I provide a quote the buyer will agree to the sale. What shipping option would you choose? I like tracking because it helps me in case of a scam, so I'm leaning towards sending him him $75+ PME quote.... suggestions?

That's what I would do too. No need to walk into a scam with no recourse.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Phil B said:

Usps not tracking internationally is a reason why I stopped shipping outside of US. Only GSP on eBay for me. I know that nowadays there is international tracking, or something almost as good that's why I may soon Start shipping internationally again. So If you'd ask me, ship ONLY with tracking, no exceptions, no other options. 

• Like 1