Target Canada - New January Clearance Wave?

Sandwraith

Bah,

Went back today to grab some more Cruisers but they had been cleaned out! Should have grabbed more, but didn't have a cart and only so much to carry.

Massakassa i can't comment on the locations in that area as i'm located far west GTA. Mississauga/Oakville/Burlington has been mostly check by myself though.

• Like 1

Nothing new added to my location by work (wasn't expecting anything yet, just wanted to check the place out after the news). They have already begun to move a lot of the electronics section (seemingly) into the back. Giftcards and stuff were also gone, but that's a given.

Heard a ton of people saying: "oh that's terrible you are losing your jobs" and such, BPers make sure you don't say this haha. I've been on the other end of that conversation and it gets tiring fast, and keeps bringing up the uncertainty of ones future!

Visited 3 Target stores yesterday and today, and finally found the meaning of that mysterious grey dot on the price tag: a gentleman working in Target told me that means "this thing is out of stock and will not be re-stock".

Ahhh, and do we know the meaning of the red dot? To me it seems like the red dot might have something to do with clearance or something, but some have had red dots for a long time.

I finally had a chance to get to the other two Target stores and they had a ton of LEGO with practically nothing on clearance - the only items left were some Chima speedorz, some Technic Construction Crew (I have enough), Toxita's Metldown and Police Mobile Headquarters. It has not been consistent at all...

I'm wondering if they have plans to shut some stores down early? Two are bone dry, two are pretty stocked up.

Heard a ton of people saying: "oh that's terrible you are losing your jobs" and such, BPers make sure you don't say this haha. I've been on the other end of that conversation and it gets tiring fast, and keeps bringing up the uncertainty of ones future!

No doubt... I just smiled and wished my cashier a nice day.

Just curious, what time zone do you live in?   I'm in Alberta (MST) and it says you posted 3:31 AM.

Just curious, what time zone do you live in?   I'm in Alberta (MST) and it says you posted 3:31 AM.

I'm in Quebec .. down here I log into at around 5 am ..

If you want one for your personnal use I could sell at cost + shipping .. PM -me .

OK We go back to TARGET post ...

Edited by gravtation

So I went back to a Target store this morning that had been cleared of 95% of its Lego. It was partially restocked (went from 2.5 aisles to 1 and not too boxes many deep) and almost all the clearance tags removed.

I had checked the tags before and it said clearance until Feb 7, 2015. Looks like the plans to close stores quashed that... Too bad, they had some good sets.

I'm not holding out hope that they clearance again. When Kmart closed they sent 99% of the Lego to the liquidator instead of selling it in the store. I'll bet they do that again. Too much money to be made for debt payments on Lego. Clothes are already 50% off almost everywhere though.

So I went back to a Target store this morning that had been cleared of 95% of its Lego. It was partially restocked (went from 2.5 aisles to 1 and not too boxes many deep) and almost all the clearance tags removed.

I had checked the tags before and it said clearance until Feb 7, 2015. Looks like the plans to close stores quashed that... Too bad, they had some good sets.

I'm not holding out hope that they clearance again. When Kmart closed they sent 99% of the Lego to the liquidator instead of selling it in the store. I'll bet they do that again. Too much money to be made for debt payments on Lego. Clothes are already 50% off almost everywhere though.

Yeah something tells me the stuff at %30 wont go down the usually discount train (50 then 70) as to me it seems like the liquidation process is going to take over their normal pricing process. :(

Yeah something tells me the stuff at %30 wont go down the usually discount train (50 then 70) as to me it seems like the liquidation process is going to take over their normal pricing process. :(

I find odd that 99% of the clearance tags were removed in Lego and action figures, but tons remained in sections like Monster High. I also saw an entire row of garbage kids/baby items that'd is never seen or heard of. This is what happened with Zellers in my city... A couple small sales, then bam, one night all the good stuff was gone replaced with those "Made for TV" type toys.

Still shaking my head over this, probably will be for quite some time. I get why it happened, but it`s just incredibly disappointing. Haven`t been to any locations in a couple weeks, will venture out at some point one last time, doubt I`ll buy anything though, the Lego stuff will in all likelihood be gone.

I hope you guys manage to score some good final deals across the country, keep a close eye and you very well might. Good luck!

• Like 1

I am thinking that once this was announced maybe LEGO cut them off/or they decided not to bring in the 2015 stuff?  Seen nothing so far, and it has already shipped to most dealers by now.  So maybe the 2014 left overs will be it for LEGO for them to clear out, which is a pretty limited selection left. 

I am thinking that once this was announced maybe LEGO cut them off/or they decided not to bring in the 2015 stuff? Seen nothing so far, and it has already shipped to most dealers by now. So maybe the 2014 left overs will be it for LEGO for them to clear out, which is a pretty limited selection left.

Mine had a few of the 2015 Technic sets... Most big retailers have had the 2015 sets for a while. I'll bet Target has known for a while and they didn't bother ordering much of anything new.

Mine had a few of the 2015 Technic sets... Most big retailers have had the 2015 sets for a while. I'll bet Target has known for a while and they didn't bother ordering much of anything new.

Yeah exactly.

None of mine in the area ever had any of the wave 3 Hobbit stuff, whereas Walmart is now trying to clearance it haha. They must have known for quite a while this was going to happen.

Many of my locations still have lots of stock, just nothing new on clearance yet (still some less desirable sets lingering at %30). I don't think we'll see liquidation prices until a few more weeks anyways though. By the time that comes around it will certainly be slim pickings, but i'd like to try and get a couple for personal builds even at %30. Mainly 2014 super heroes stuff no-one is clearancing yet.

• Like 1

I noticed yesterday two local Target locations already have billboards out by the real estate management groups advertising space availability.  For one of them it was the first time I've ever seen their parking lot nearly full - had to go in to see if there was anything of interest on clearence... nothing, not a single Lego set on sale, even the sets where the red liquidation tags were still scanned in at regular price.  obviously the inventory was just being moved around the shelves as none to the tags matched the items on the shelf.   

I noticed yesterday two local Target locations already have billboards out by the real estate management groups advertising space availability.  For one of them it was the first time I've ever seen their parking lot nearly full - had to go in to see if there was anything of interest on clearence... nothing, not a single Lego set on sale, even the sets where the red liquidation tags were still scanned in at regular price.  obviously the inventory was just being moved around the shelves as none to the tags matched the items on the shelf.   

Yup even though the liquidation sales have not started; I've noticed all Target's seem way more busy than usual. With all the press i'm sure people are checking it out for the first time just to see it before it goes and such.

The employees are probably thinking: "too little too late people..." ><

I have no idea who they will find the take the real estate of all these locations. Most companies are shying away from large stores - aside from WM of course. However i'm not even sure if these locations are large enough for a WM. Target's absence in some of it's locations will really hurt some of the dinky malls they are located in. My closest one was in a mall noone ever went to. Since Target came there they have renovated and everything. With it gone i suspect it will go back to not seeing many customers at all.

Yup even though the liquidation sales have not started; I've noticed all Target's seem way more busy than usual. With all the press i'm sure people are checking it out for the first time just to see it before it goes and such.

The employees are probably thinking: "too little too late people..." ><

I have no idea who they will find the take the real estate of all these locations. Most companies are shying away from large stores - aside from WM of course. However i'm not even sure if these locations are large enough for a WM. Target's absence in some of it's locations will really hurt some of the dinky malls they are located in. My closest one was in a mall noone ever went to. Since Target came there they have renovated and everything. With it gone i suspect it will go back to not seeing many customers at all.

Why do I feel like this scenario is being repeated across the country?

My local Targets seem busier... the Lego was "spread" out across the shelves and didn't match the price tags underneath... One of our smaller local malls did a complete overhaul as Target moved in... A brand new building was built in a heavy retail area that will likely sit empty for years - it's too small for Walmart, too big for other retailers. Those bozos at Target really messed this one up.

The one thing I noticed lately is that Toys R US has had ever worsening sales after some pretty good ones when Target first announced/came north - I wonder if they realized that Target was struggling and decided to say F-it, we don't need to compete with them? That would be a shame... And I don't just mean from a Lego perspective. People really believed that Target would push Stupidstore, Walmart, Toys R US to be even more competitive and those guys just kept on without blinking.

Edited by gregpj