10228 - Haunted House

Jeff Mack

Modular or not?  

172 members have voted

1. 1. Do you consider the Haunted House a modular house?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe with some modifications.

I believe this set has the 1K potential...

No doubt it does. But the buyer pool is smaller at $1K. These are questions which guide me--I'm simply sharing my strategy. If I want to double my money in the timeliest fashion, HH is not it. It's tough to let these ships sail, but this one has long since left the port. 

For my investments (not QFs), my strategy is to aim for at least 50%-100% over my purchase price after fees (i.e., close to "doubling" is ideal). That's how "hard" I'd like my investment dollars to "work." When you look at HH, it's already doubled+ from MSRP. If you buy at $450, you would need to clear $900 to double your investment. It would need to sell for over $1000 to do so on most channels. 

Food for thought. 

I see no problem selling this for $1k+ in 3-4 years but maybe I am just wearing sand green colored glasses.

• Like 1

@Cigs

Cafe Corner is more collectible as part of an ongoing theme though. HH is a cool set but it will level off in a year or two I think, to a very slow climb. The fact that CC was the first in a very popular series, is what has kept its price going up. Along with less numbers on the market. Let's just hope that Lego doesn't decide to bring out a haunted modular house in the meantime.

Edited by tractorboy

Cafe Corner is more collectible as part of an ongoing theme though. HH is a cool set but it will level off in a year or two I think, to a very slow climb. The fact that CC was the first in a very popular series, is what has kept its price going up. Along with less numbers on the market. Let's just hope that Lego doesn't decide to bring out a haunted modular house in the meantime.

You can still make a modular street without Cafe Corner. It is not crucial. When I see how fast Cafe Corner gets sold even at these high prices I do not see any problem for Haunted House. And as I've said... many get opened and build cause it is simply irresistable. There is no other Haunted House currently. It is unique. 

No doubt it does. But the buyer pool is smaller at $1K. These are questions which guide me--I'm simply sharing my strategy. If I want to double my money in the timeliest fashion, HH is not it. It's tough to let these ships sail, but this one has long since left the port. 

It's not as difficult as one would think selling sets over 1K...

Edited by dcdfan

The best way to characterize my feelings on this and R2D2 to a lesser degree, they have "1k potential" in the next 3-5 years conservatively. Right now, before the star wars movies and the first-ish halloween with the haunted house being gone, this is the last time it will be reasonable to grab them.

In terms of investment percentages, I agree you could probably do better working the JW/SW/Shortage freezy that may happen this christmas and snagging some soon to be retiring exclusives. 

I personally don't believe this needs to be part of a series to do CC well. I think as long as they keep releasing small halloween themed sets/minifigures people will be completely satisfied building the haunted house and pimping it out with new ghosts and zombies every Halloween.

All depends on the buy-in. If you can get it a bit below the current value I would surely think about it. This set has already proven to be an investment winner. With the current available sets you will not know for sure. Your analysis is correct. Only few people sell it used. So others who missed this set are almost forced to buy it NISB/MISB. So the odds will always be on your advantage. I also cannot get it out of my head that this set is opened and build alot. Which is very important!

Also do not forget the most important reason... they are not making more of these! 

Well it may not be too late if you use average cost basis.  I could pick up 10 more and my average cost basis per unit would rise minimally.  One way to look at it.  In terms of net cash flow I agree the ship has sailed and time for the next ship..

I wonder how your wife will behave the next time you buy an expensive retired set.  Yes, it will happen.

On the topic of buying HH even now at 2x or more MSRP: 

Phase 4 (also known as the self-denial phase): I do my research, see it is seeing on eBay for almost $400, and show my wife the set, but promise I would never spend $400 on a Lego set (because THAT would be crazy).

Phase 5 (also known as "emersion from dark ages" syndrome. Also known as the angry wife phase): I buy a brand new HH for $350 shipped. It arrives in beautiful shape. Wife finds out. (Domestic episode deleted from post). 

The point of this whole diatribe was that the HH was the one and only retired set I just could never live without. I can pass on all the old Star Wars stuff, pirate ships, TH, FB, whatever. 

But this was a "biological imperative" - there was no way my heart/head combo was ever going to let me live a life that didn't contain the Lego 10228. I would have paid $500. Today I would pay $600 if I had to (and didn't own it).

Or cheesecake from The Cheesecake Factory for mine. 

That's a way better deal! At the former, my wife's yoga pants are $70+

The set's been retired less than a year and is already skyrocketing. I'd be with mfortunek on this set continuing to go up. I recently found some deals on used GE FB and TH sets. She tried to scold me for that last one especially. "As soon as I Bricklink the missing parts I can turn around and immediately make $50+ (after fees)" "But we're not going to sell it" "Why not?" "Because we're keeping it" Hah! She gave me permission to get CC GG and this one if I can find good deals on those, too. HH is in good company.

• Like 1

That's a way better deal! At the former, my wife's yoga pants are $70+

The set's been retired less than a year and is already skyrocketing. I'd be with mfortunek on this set continuing to go up. I recently found some deals on used GE FB and TH sets. She tried to scold me for that last one especially. "As soon as I Bricklink the missing parts I can turn around and immediately make $50+ (after fees)" "But we're not going to sell it" "Why not?" "Because we're keeping it" Hah! She gave me permission to get CC GG and this one if I can find good deals on those, too. HH is in good company.

oh my god if I had a dime for every time my wife has said: "I don't believe you, you are NEVER going to sell these!" in the past 7 months, I would have, like, 700 dimes.

• Like 1

I so need to break down and get one of these to build.  Was always hoping I would find a beat up box one on ebay but not much luck.  When I got back into lego about 2 years ago I told myself I wanted one of those for the family to build.   I keep putting it off but as soon as I pick one up Disney will commit to making the Haunted Mansion.