10228 - Haunted House

Jeff Mack

Modular or not?  

172 members have voted

1. 1. Do you consider the Haunted House a modular house?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe with some modifications.

Depends of how many you have in stock. If you have like 1-5, hold them. If you have too much of, like 10-30, sell somes.

You'll win small (well, it's already 2x profit) still better than losing big overnight.

A case of mine: There was that Dino Riders T-Rex set that fetched at around 600$-1000$ Misb right before the 2008 market crash,

after the big deflation, everyone were selling and saving, so i got a Japanese (even rarer) Misb version for 200$, everyone else at ebay chickened out

• Like 1

Depends of how many you have in stock. If you have like 1-5, hold them. If you have too much of, like 10-30, sell somes.

You'll win small (well, it's already 2x profit) still better than losing big overnight.

A case of mine: There was that Dino Riders T-Rex set that fetched at around 600$-1000$ Misb right before the 2008 market crash,

after the big deflation, everyone were selling and saving, so i got a Japanese (even rarer) Misb version for 200$, everyone else at ebay chickened out

Thanks for that. I only have 3. In fact I'm not a big reseller. I don't have more that 3 of any set. 

A good general rule is to sell the sets that aren't appreciating rather than focusing on taking profits.  This does not apply to QFLL situations, of course (better to have sold RI for $100 than hold 'till now and sell at $20), but HH is firmly retired and I think we've got a pretty good feel for the available inventory.  It is also, as Jaisonline writes, a unique set that is not likely to be reproduced, well, ever.  The new Monster CMF figures can only help.  They let people flesh out their Halloween style lego displays with additional creeps, and CMF list price is so high now that even near duplicates don't really compete much with the HH crew.

As an aside, Chinese culture very much frowns on depictions of graveyards, ghouls, and the undead in general.  This may have the happy side effect of dissuading Chinese counterfeiting of 'monster' lego sets and figures (for what it's worth, I have not seen any for sale thus far).

• Like 3

i would advise against selling 10228s.  this set was not produced for long and it's still very unique among exclusive sets.

I say let them sell. Less competition for those who hold another 2-3 years. I have thirteen of these bad boys (14 if I count the one we opened and display in our living room every fall), and I'm not selling any until they hit four digits, which is a very good possibility with this set. I don't know why anyone would be worried about the new CMF's or Scooby Doo sets hurting the value of HH. If anything they should enhance it. 

I say let them sell. Less competition for those who hold another 2-3 years. I have thirteen of these bad boys (14 if I count the one we opened and display in our living room every fall), and I'm not selling any until they hit four digits, which is a very good possibility with this set. I don't know why anyone would be worried about the new CMF's or Scooby Doo sets hurting the value of HH. If anything they should enhance it. 

I'm worried that as Halloween approaches, resellers with cash flow issues will dump their HH's to free up funds for pumpkins and giant inflatable lawn ghosts.

• Like 3

To be honest if i had an extra misb HH i would have sold it. And then i would have used the money for minifigs hot dogs and unicorns,

HH growth and value is good, but it has its weakness, too

HH has almost no weakness.  It will continue to rise.  In fact $500 should the the going price in October.........

• Like 1

I remember when, way back when, some people laughed when others suggested this set had the chance to reach $500 in a relatively short period of time. Really close now, with substantial growth potential given its uniqueness

Yeah, I remember that too.  I was one of the doubters.  I love the set, but after watching every other MF set but The Zombies disappoint, I was pessimistic on HH.  I have 12 of these, and I'm happy to be wrong.

• Like 1

Will the Haunted House surpass the Town Hall before the end of 2015?  This could be a race.

Right now there is a $150 price differential. I do not see it catching up anytime soon. TH has a much better part out value as well. HH will no doubt get a good jump leading up to Halloween in the USA, but TH will outperform for Xmas. Both are excellent performers though. It is looking like 10225 has a better shot than 10228 at this stage.

From a European perspective I will say that it draws level - too many monkeys with keyboards have been listing multiple TH´s for sale (more than 2 at a time) and this detracts from its supposed scarcity value. HH sellers seem to have been a little smarter.

As much as I love the HH, I think the Town Hall will always have wider appeal... Not to mention people were expecting HH to go - TH caught most people by surprise.

RE: Monster Fighter uptick - A: We're approaching 2 years post retirement, so I think this growth is normal, and B: number of holders is diminishing slowly. Other than VC, all the sets have less than 100 resellers presently on Amazon. 

One thing I've seen that may help the value of this set; is the amusement park sets possibly becoming a sub-theme for Lego. People are building their own lego amusement parks and including the Haunted House as an attraction, just as the ferris wheel or mixer would be.

Edited by P_R_Rice
  • Like 4

One thing I've seen that may help the value of this set; is the amusement park sets possibly becoming a sub-theme for Lego. People are building their own lego amusement parks and including the Haunted House as an attraction, just as the ferris wheel or mixer would be.

Nice angle!

But honoustly I do not think this set needs any help. It is a winner! End of story.

Needless to say... I should have bought more!

• Like 2

Nice angle!

But honoustly I do not think this set needs any help. It is a winner! End of story.

Needless to say... I should have bought more!

Didn´t you know that every fairground also needs a ghost train? And which train is the most ghostly? Lone Ranger Constitution, of course!

• Like 1

So mad I never even got 1 of these. Was too busy buying used bulk lots. Lesson received. That one hurt.

That was SSD for me, so I ended up trading last year 1 HH and 1 Arkham for 1 SSD. Still think in the long run that will largely be a wash, but if HH gets to $1000 I might regret it!