10221 - UCS: Super Star Destroyer

Jeff Mack

SSD  

395 members have voted

1. 1. How many sealed SSD's do you have

• 4-5
    • 6-10
    • more than 10
    • I'm Emazers and I built a replica SSD out of sealed SSDs.

It bothers me that there are over 100 sellers on Amazon 

That doesn't seem all that out-of-line with other large SW sets that are basically still available or in the F5 dance.

Compare to the SSD which has already had MANY folks cash in, it's got 55 sellers.

Many other sets have far more than 100.

DS is currently offering QUITE a profit for those that got in around 250-300, not surprising to see 100 sellers to me.

I have not invested in DS, but I have been considering it.

IMO, number of competitors is a factor, but granted not just on Amazon. Bricklink and ebay also matter.

I DID go with R2, GE, TH, HH, SSD over DS last year and year before.

You need to get used to that. A little patience is needed. The SSD has been technically retired for a year, in this time frame it's pretty much doubled in price. Give it a few more years and it should double again.

I was referring to DS, not SSD.  Sorry.

Edited by JDLego324

I bought a SSD misb for original retail price last year. How many years would you advice waiting before selling, will it reach 1000 U.S.D ever?

I believe no one here can tell you for sure when is the best time to sell and what the exact ceiling will be for this set. 

Just sell whenever you feel comfortable and are happy with the return/profit. That is personal for everybody. Some are happy with a 100% profit margin. Some want 200% etc. Once you've sold it do not look back. 

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a SSD misb for original retail price last year. How many years would you advice waiting before selling, will it reach 1000 U.S.D ever?

Some people think it has a decent shot at $1000. Just don't know how many years since retirement it will take.  It depends on factors that will keep demand steady (e.g. If it's referenced in any of the new films, it's not refreshed)

Doing a refresh of this ship would make zero sense with all the other options for UCS sets they have yet to create or update(Falcon, Cloud City, etc.).  I would like to hold for 3 more years to gain maximum value as I think the market for an iconic ship set of this size will undoubtedly reach close to UCS Millenium Falcon eventually.  Occasionally I've seen a set reach a point where the number available drops so low that the price immediately doubles and I could see this happening with a set like this.  Most of these have been opened and built as display models and the price is slowly creeping higher before the SW movie refresh has even started. There's around 50 listings on Ebay right now with 25% of those built already or missing minifigs, another 50% are priced over $1,000 and we're not at Christmas yet.  UCS MF is already in $5,000-$6,000 territory and 2 years ago it was around half that. In another 2-3 years new UCS MF will probably be in $8,000-10,000 range and these SSDs' will be $2,500-4,000, and in another 5 years we'll all be wishing we had an original still new UCS MF that will be going for $12,000-15,000.  I think it's worth the wait to hold strong.

• Like 1

Even if we do see a refresh of the SSD, it's not going to be of the same magnitude as this one, and it won't be for a while.  Lego is going to be focusing on episode 7,8,9 sets for the foreseeable future.  The last few waves gave us some great OT sets to wet our appetites for episode 7 merchandise.

• 2 weeks later...

Even if we do see a refresh of the SSD, it's not going to be of the same magnitude as this one, and it won't be for a while.  Lego is going to be focusing on episode 7,8,9 sets for the foreseeable future.  The last few waves gave us some great OT sets to wet our appetites for episode 7 merchandise.

Episodes 7, 8, and 9, as well as the Rebels animated series and three standalone films (Rogue One, Han Solo, Boba Fett), plus anything else they dream up, like another season of Yoda Chronicles or the like. Thankfully, Droid Tales has been using existing sets.  Just between those items you are looking at 20-30 sets per year, minimum, so they will most likely limit OT / Clone Wars sets to a trickle. Any new SSD would most likely come from the post-empire era; I doubt the Executor itself will be re-manufactured again in the next decade.

• Like 1

Somewhere in the next six movies there is not a ship between them that will be iconic or impressive enough to warrant a UCS version, Disney/Lucasfilms will have failed. We already have four (six?) UCS Star Wars sets actively for sale: Red Five, Sandcrawler, Slave 1, and Tie Fighter. Six if you count (unofficially) the Death Star and Ewok Village. If Red Five retires and they finally stop making Death Stars (Lego, not the Empire) there will be room for another big set. My hope is that we see something in The Force Awakens that rocks our socks off.  A bust of Kylo Ren, with mask? UCS BB-8?  It would be disappointing to see a recycle of existing UCS sets.

• Like 2

Somewhere in the next six movies there is not a ship between them that will be iconic or impressive enough to warrant a UCS version, Disney/Lucasfilms will have failed.. My hope is that we see something in The Force Awakens that rocks our socks off.    It would be disappointing to see a recycle of existing UCS sets.

Agree.
If they recycle the OT ships AGAIN, it would be a total failure for Lego and could be a catalyst for a downfall.
I think the key is not Lego, its the design team of Star Wars.  Come on give us a Ship to drool about.