10221 - UCS: Super Star Destroyer

Jeff Mack

SSD  

395 members have voted

1. 1. How many sealed SSD's do you have

• 4-5
    • 6-10
    • more than 10
    • I'm Emazers and I built a replica SSD out of sealed SSDs.

This is an amazing one to watch. I was late to game after re-discovering Lego and I love this ship...back in January I paid $575 (w/shipping) for a personal set and waited two months for sea freight to deliver it from across the world. I haven't opened it yet, but I will...I'm going to need a stiff drink to do it, though, especially if it keeps soaring. Still, I just don't think I could part with this crown jewel of my budding Lego Star Wars collection.

• Like 2

I saw that one out there and thought about posting.  8.0, I'd like to see what that criteria is.

Not really understanding why someone would pay to have that graded.  It looks pretty beat up to me, and since AFA charges by size, that costs a whole lot to grade (around $180-200 + S/H both ways, it looks like).  Then you're pretty much limiting yourself to buyers who will never open it up.

I'm still kicking myself for selling one of four I had, for $650 last Nov/Dec, because I thought I was running out of space :)

Edited by I am Niko

I saw that one out there and thought about posting.  8.0, I'd like to see what that criteria is.

i wonder how much you have to pay someone to say its an 8.0.  and woo-hoooo anyway - its an 8.  

at this sales price point it seems sort of silly to have wasted your money on grading.

Edited by cladner
  • Like 2

I think we're barely at the beginning of the upward movement in price of this set.  The new series of movies hasn't even kicked off yet and overseas buyers are already buying older Lego sets at premium prices and having them shipped in storage containers out of California and Florida. In 2-3 years this set could be another 2-3k set for new collectors who must have all the large classics.

So confused. Ds is saying sold out again. Is the ssd post a joke or real?

I think i'm catching on to the lego terminology.  So, they are basically sold out on their online store, and have no more in stock within that store.. However, they probably have more stock in their system that was going to be allocated elsewhere, but might not have been fullfilled in a store, etc, and so they allocate it back to the main warehouse, even though it's not in the online store warehouse, say "shipping by x date", and then once that amount runs out, they have to switch it back out to Sold Out, because they can't fullfill anymore if they just let it open and let everyone submit orders. That doesn't mean more could possibly be on the way eventually.

When it went back online, whoever took advantage and ordered them at least should get their fulfilled, but since there is very limited quantity in stock (at more than likely some other warehouse in pakistan or something like that) they have to move that back to the states to fullfill the order.  The only thing is, what's the difference between TOS, and SO?  That makes little sense.

I think death star has limited time, and will be gone by years end, but will trickle in and out of stock over the next few months.  But, by november you won't see it anymore.  My opinion...

Looks like SSD is over $1K in Amazon's Buy it Box.  Ebay is around $900.  I'd say it is time to crown this one as the next $1K set.  Nice that it had a head start with its MSRP.  I'd say there are a couple more that might make it that high, but probably not for a few years.

I am putting my prediction of a $1,500 buy it box on this by on Dec 31st at noon CST.  Anyone want to guess?

The Death Star will be $1000 or so within a year after it retires, about 75% of guys on here said it would take years for the SSD to reach $700 or so, so if you don't want to make the same mistake on the DS, be sure you get as many as you can.  Ed

• Like 3

The Death Star will be $1000 or so within a year after it retires, about 75% of guys on here said it would take years for the SSD to reach $700 or so, so if you don't want to make the same mistake on the DS, be sure you get as many as you can.  Ed

You may be right; however, I don't think it has the same collectable factor like the SSD.  It is more of a play set rather than a collectable set.   Time will tell :)

• Like 1

SSD wasn't around for 7 years, either.   I'm sure the set will do fine, I will never call it a dud, but it's old news.  You also know there will be a remake of some kind in the future, it's too iconic for that to not happen.  Whether it be like 10143 or 10188 or a mix of both, it will happen.  I have mine, hope they do well.

• Like 1

You may be right; however, I don't think it has the same collectable factor like the SSD.  It is more of a play set rather than a collectable set.   Time will tell :)

Not really sure how to gauge if display set > play set but I think SSD would have better price appreciation against the DS solely because of its shorter production life.

All of these same opinions are in this SSD thread from last year as well.  It's really no risk, if you have the cash to dump into Death Stars.

You're right about the "if you have the cash point". I'll add that you need the time too. 

Even then, there is still risk, and that is opportunity cost.

If you buy death stars this year instead of something about to expire, you may miss out on quicker profit that could have been turned into death stars later.  This seems like an arbitrary statement (true for any set), but for the death star its worth asking because....

If you bought death stars 1 year ago instead of r2d2/ Grand emporium that was a bad opportunity cost

If you bought death stars 2 years ago instead of town hall / ssd / monster house that was a bad opportunity cost

If you bought death stars 7 years ago instead of a UCS falcon that was a bad opportunity cost

So if your pool of funds is such that getting multiple DS's prevents you from getting much of anything else, it's a serious risk when you consider the set's history to this point.

That also means that this set is probably the most OVER-ESTIMATED when folks say this thing has been hoarded for years. It takes a SERIOUS commitment to store a bunch of these. Few have the space / time / $$ to do that. Even if tons of people have bought them over the years, how many have been forced to give up after 5-7 years of them collecting dust, doing nothing? Or more realistically, all the ones that were turned over during periods of Out-of-Stock  for 100 dollar profits?

Everybody THINKS there's a million DS's waiting in reseller hands, but i bet its way less than folks assume.

-Also sorry to post this in the SSD thread, thought it was DS talk.

Edited by mudcatsfan