Selling Lego on Amazon.com

Deeker

4 minutes ago, tyclin said:

One Amazon buyer purchased Lego 10234 recently and the package arrived in good condition, stating that the buyer heard there was "rolling sound" in the box concerning the bags "broke" and loose bricks coming out inside the box, the buyer also further raised the concern that the seals were tempered with (the set was purchased from Lego store, specifically selected for good condition box). And the buyer took pictures of all six seals, which surely indicated the seals were not tempered with.

The buyer stated that he or she is also a collector/reseller and it would be a big problem that the bags break inside (based on the "rolling sound" because the buyer compared this set with other collections, other sets DO NOT make that sound). The buyer stated that it is not "custom friendly" that I don't refund or partial refund if the buyer finds the bags break and wants to return because the buyer thinks about opening the seal to check inside. The buyer also suggests an option that I send the replacement set without "rolling sound" at my own expense and the buyer returns the set at my own expense.

What would you do in this situation?

PS: Val-E member suggests better present this to Amazon before going into dealing with the buyer.

Isn't this a repeat post?  I replied to your earlier topic,  

update,  I found it.

9 minutes ago, jaisonline said:

Isn't this a repeat post?  I replied to your earlier topic,  

update,  I found it.

Thank you Jaisonline. I must have missed your reply. I actually replied the buyer and attached a video of unboxing of Lego 10234. So I know there are two base plates not in the bag which certainly makes rolling sound. Even so, the buyer obviously wants to keep on going with the subject of suspicious bag break based on rolling sound. What would you do next?

3 minutes ago, tyclin said:

Thank you Jaisonline. I must have missed your reply. I actually replied the buyer and attached a video of unboxing of Lego 10234. So I know there are two base plates not in the bag which certainly makes rolling sound. Even so, the buyer obviously wants to keep on going with the subject of suspicious bag break based on rolling sound. What would you do next?

This is Amazon, right? Have them go the official route in making a return, they can say "item damaged" or something like that. Not sure if that will cause an ODR ding, but that's what most Amazon buyers would do straight out of the box - I have never communicated directly with a seller on Amazon, always just used Amazon's system.

16 minutes ago, tyclin said:

Never send a replacement on Amazon . You can either do a partial return at your discretion or offer to send a prepaid label and u refund upon receipt . Buyer can always reorder but this one seems a bit paranoid and hard to deal with . 

7 minutes ago, Bold-Arrow said:

Never send a replacement on Amazon . You can either do a partial return at your discretion or offer to send a prepaid label and u refund upon receipt . Buyer can always reorder but this one seems a bit paranoid and hard to deal with . 

@tyclin

i bet that buyer's real motive is a partial refund because he/ she has buyer's remorse of the price paid.

a simple google search can show an unboxing video or pic and i'm not buying the risk of a plate breaking open a bag. BS

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jaisonline said:

@tyclin

i bet that buyer's real motive is a partial refund because he/ she has buyer's remorse of the price paid.

a simple google search can show an unboxing video or pic and i'm not buying the risk of a plate breaking open a bag. BS

That is actually what I think too especially the buyer states that he/she is a reseller. I have to say once you get into selling, you will encounter buyers with various motives. Especially he/she being a reseller, what he/she is doing now will haunt back to he/she later from another buyer of the same kind.

Unfortunately, no matter which selling platforms we use, we are most of the time on the "lose" side even how "abusive" the buyer is. It is customer service. 

21 minutes ago, LegoEdison said:

As a reseller, he is doing it wrong. eBay is cheaper 

As a scammer, he know how to abuse Amazon return / buyer protection policy. 

Ask him to return from your expense and refund in full after you get to back and forget about your lost. 

agreed.  which leads me to think this buyer has a diff agenda.

just hope he gets the same nsib set back.

6 hours ago, jaisonline said:

i'm not questioning you as you're a respected old-timer BP member.  $479 sounds too good to be true.  i wonder if the buyer has a "plan" to return it after a claim.

I mean, I wasn't worried about that until NOW. 

Yeah, I dunno. On eBay the price is hovering around $400, and there are only a handful of sellers on Amazon, so I figured I would post it up and see what happened. I very clearly labeled it in the description that it was open box with contents verified (as much as you can flag that in the description on Amazon, at least). The buyer name and shipping name are different so could be a gift perhaps. I don't do FBA, I ship stuff myself, and big stuff with signature confirmation when I can, so maybe I've just been lucky as a smaller time seller to avoid fraud so far. I guess we'll see.

My main worry with this sort of set is someone might think they are getting the UCS or something and want to return it.

So it was pointed out to me in the "What non-LEGO toys and products do you invest in or collect?" thread that I seem to have made a boo-boo on Amazon.

I bought 2 NES Classics (on 2 completely separate accounts with different billing/shipping addresses) and then listed them on my seller account right away (they sold in minutes).

Apparently that's a big no-no since I used Amazon Prime to have the NES Classics shipped to me.

Whats my best course of action now?  Obviously I won't do this kind of thing again.  

Should I cancel both of the Amazon Seller orders and sell them through eBay or somewhere else?  Or just let it go through and never do it again?  

11 minutes ago, jonnyhanukkah said:

So it was pointed out to me in the "What non-LEGO toys and products do you invest in or collect?" thread that I seem to have made a boo-boo on Amazon.

I bought 2 NES Classics (on 2 completely separate accounts with different billing/shipping addresses) and then listed them on my seller account right away (they sold in minutes).

Apparently that's a big no-no since I used Amazon Prime to have the NES Classics shipped to me.

Whats my best course of action now?  Obviously I won't do this kind of thing again.  

Should I cancel both of the Amazon Seller orders and sell them through eBay or somewhere else?  Or just let it go through and never do it again?  

If this is the first offense, you are almost surely fine. I definitely wouldn't cancel the orders.

How do you have accounts with different billing/shipping addresses? One home and one at work or something?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, jonnyhanukkah said:

U should be fine just don't do it again 

I often forget to switch my purchases to non prime shipping. Nothing has happened to me yet. But I don't quick flip anything. I need to be more vigilant about switching the shipping method.

I think I am being "paranoid" now with all the buyers who message me via Amazon. I got this one,

"Hi, I want to buy lego technic mobile crane mk ii building set as a gift for my boyfriend. Could you please send it as a gift if I order it so it doesn't have the bill information in the box?"

I can understand some buyers do not want to include the bill/packing slip in the packing. Why do they need to ask before even placing the order? they can easily request after placing the order. I have no problem not to include the packing slip (which has the price of the item as well as the shipping cost). Is there specific meaning why they ask before placing the order?

I think I am being "paranoid" now with all the buyers who message me via Amazon. I got this one, "Hi, I want to buy lego technic mobile crane mk ii building set as a gift for my boyfriend. Could you please send it as a gift if I order it so it doesn't have the bill information in the box?" I can understand some buyers do not want to include the bill/packing slip in the packing. Why do they need to ask before even placing the order? they can easily request after placing the order. I have no problem not to include the packing slip (which has the price of the item as well as the shipping cost). Is there specific meaning why they ask before placing the order?

Could be a drop shipper ... I'm smelling scam but I'm pretty jaded right now.

If it's legit, I'd like to meet the type of girl who sends their long distance boyfriend a LEGO set

1 hour ago, tyclin said:

I think I am being "paranoid" now with all the buyers who message me via Amazon. I got this one,

"Hi, I want to buy lego technic mobile crane mk ii building set as a gift for my boyfriend. Could you please send it as a gift if I order it so it doesn't have the bill information in the box?"

I can understand some buyers do not want to include the bill/packing slip in the packing. Why do they need to ask before even placing the order? they can easily request after placing the order. I have no problem not to include the packing slip (which has the price of the item as well as the shipping cost). Is there specific meaning why they ask before placing the order?

they ask because they REALLY really don't want the person they are getting a gift for to see how much they are spending and if you are selling them  one of your price gouger over priced retired LEGO sets you really shouldn't be surprised that they wouldn't want someone to see how much they spent on some plastic bricks.  they are looking for a human on the other end.  they end up coming back and buying more from you when you accomodate their request.

i never include the packaging slip as standard protocol because i'm so cheap and don't want to waste ink and paper for something destined to the trash.  i sell hundreds of items a month all FBM.   i get the request to leave it out all the time anyway so my standard protocol means I never once screw that up.  i have never once gotten a complaint saying where the hell is my packing slip.  from my perspective as a voracious online customer (and the husband of an even greater consumer), the only upside to including a packing slip is if you are really trying to make it easy for the customer to remember where the set came from when they want to return it to you.  

Edited by cladner
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, cladner said:

they ask because they REALLY really don't want the person they are getting a gift for to see how much they are spending and if you are selling them  one of your price gouger over priced retired LEGO sets you really shouldn't be surprised that they wouldn't want someone to see how much they spent on some plastic bricks.  they are looking for a human on the other end.  they end up coming back and buying more from you when you accomodate their request.

i never include the packaging slip as standard protocol because i'm so cheap and don't want to waste ink and paper for something destined to the trash.  i sell hundreds of items a month all FBM.   i get the request to leave it out all the time anyway so my standard protocol means I never once screw that up.  i have never once gotten a complaint saying where the hell is my packing slip.  from my perspective as a voracious online customer (and the husband of an even greater consumer), the only upside to including a packing slip is if you are really trying to make it easy for the customer to remember where the set came from when they want to return it to you.  

I did have requests like these before but normally that was made after the order placed and totally had no problem not to include the packing slip. Because recently I have had "way too many""problematic" buyers, I started feeling paranoid. Therefore, I posted here to see what other members think. 

the only upside to including a packing slip is if you are really trying to make it easy for the customer to remember where the set came from when they want to return it to you.  

And remind them how much they paid for something which could cause buyers remorse. I have always included the packing slip but I'm going to stop now. You convinced me.
  • Like 1

I just saw an FBA seller who sells a lot of Lego (STL PRO) ... now their Lego listings, in the "Condition" column, all say " Brand NEW & SEALED in the Retail Box! Check out our FEEDBACK! We are not an Authorized retailer of this item but the item is Brand New and Sealed. Manufacturer's warranty is not valid, however, our return policy is still applicable "

Why would they do that?

I just saw an FBA seller who sells a lot of Lego (STL PRO) ... now their Lego listings, in the "Condition" column, all say " Brand NEW & SEALED in the Retail Box! Check out our FEEDBACK! We are not an Authorized retailer of this item but the item is Brand New and Sealed. Manufacturer's warranty is not valid, however, our return policy is still applicable "
Why would they do that?

That's me. I'm trolling Amazon and their inconsistent authenticity policies.
  • Like 4