Selling Lego on Amazon.com

Deeker

9 hours ago, Jackson said:

Are the U-Haul boxes heavy duty?

I enter dimensions every time. Am I doing it wrong?

No, they are not heavy duty.  They are similar to the standard Lowes or Home Depot moving boxes.  I think the extra large ones are a different dimension size than the Home depot XL boxes, but I haven't checked that for a while.  If they were the same price, i'd pick Uhaul over Home depot boxes.  

This was posted by TheBrickPeople on the amazon forums..regarding the certificates. Seller's got over 1K in feedback last 12, over 8K lifetime.  Posted about 8 hours ago, so I'm assuming we are all about to get something...no? Sht about to get real? Amazon asking for images now?

"I submitted the LEGO documents found in this link (https://www.lego.com/en-us/aboutus/lego-group/product-safety5) and Amazon says those documents are insufficient. I posted the response from Amazon below.

I followed up with LEGO, and they stated that they only share actual testing reports with retailers and regulators, of which I am neither.

Anyone else have any ideas?"

Greetings,

Amazon’s policies require that all toys sold through the Amazon website meet specified certification standards. In order to sell these products on Amazon, you must apply by submitting the following items.

1. Your seller ID (merchant Token)/ vendor code associated with your Amazon account.
2. Please be informed that we can only accept genuine images. Therefore, kindly take clear photo of the product displaying the product type, batch, serial or model number.
3. A document confirming that your product was tested according to the below standards:
i) ASTM F963-16 /ASTM F963-17
ii) The Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act (CPSIA)

A document confirming that your product was tested according to the standard listed by a laboratory that is certified to the ILAC ISO 17025 standard.

Amazon Global Selling – Compliance Solutions Providers in the United States: https://services.amazon.com/solution-providers/#/search/US/compliance?localeSelection=en_US4

By applying to sell these products you certify that all materials you submit in conjunction with your application are true, authentic, and accurate. Note that Amazon may remove your selling privileges for failing to meet these requirements.

We appreciate your cooperation on this important matter.

Edited by LegoBro

This was posted by TheBrickPeople on the amazon forums..regarding the certificates. Seller's got over 1K in feedback last 12, over 8K lifetime.  Posted about 8 hours ago, so I'm assuming we are all about to get something...no? Sht about to get real? Amazon asking for images now?

"I submitted the LEGO documents found in this link (https://www.lego.com/en-us/aboutus/lego-group/product-safety5) and Amazon says those documents are insufficient. I posted the response from Amazon below.

I followed up with LEGO, and they stated that they only share actual testing reports with retailers and regulators, of which I am neither.

Greetings,

Amazon’s policies require that all toys sold through the Amazon website meet specified certification standards. In order to sell these products on Amazon, you must apply by submitting the following items.

1. Your seller ID (merchant Token)/ vendor code associated with your Amazon account.

2. Please be informed that we can only accept genuine images. Therefore, kindly take clear photo of the product displaying the product type, batch, serial or model number.

3. A document confirming that your product was tested according to the below standards:

A document confirming that your product was tested according to the standard listed by a laboratory that is certified to the ILAC ISO 17025 standard.

Amazon Global Selling – Compliance Solutions Providers in the United States: https://services.amazon.com/solution-providers/#/search/US/compliance?localeSelection=en_US4

By applying to sell these products you certify that all materials you submit in conjunction with your application are true, authentic, and accurate. Note that Amazon may remove your selling privileges for failing to meet these requirements.

I received this email as well this morning. They don’t specify which ASINs this is for, but I assume it is for the 2 they previously asked me about. I will have to give them a call because I provided the ATSM documentation, but don’t know where to get the CPSIA one.

EDIT: Actually, my notification was slightly different:

Greetings,

Amazon's policies require that all toys sold through the Amazon website meet specified certification standards. In order to sell these products on Amazon, you must apply by submitting the following items.

1. Please be informed that we can only accept genuine images. Therefore, kindly take clear photo of the product and product packaging clearly displaying:

i) Manufacturer name

ii) Manufacturer address

iii) Warning label (as applicable)

2. A testing report confirming that your product was successfully tested to the standards listed below by a CPSC-approved laboratory:

i) ASTM F963-16 / ASTM F963-17

9 hours ago, LegoBro said:

Greetings,

The images are generally required if you sell a toy above a certain age . . . I think 12 or 13? IIRC you could get around the certification hurdle if you listed a toy for an older child. In that case, Amazon only required images of the product. New ball game if they require both an image and CPC. I think by holding back certification, LEGO has found a very simple way of ensuring only authorized resellers can list their products. 

Anyone who is versed in legalize might want to chime in on this language at the bottom of every LEGO compliance form: "LEGO retail customers and agents of the US CPSC and US CBP may request a test report by contacting . . ." and see if it would be possible to file a FOIA request with CPSC to compel them to hand over the documents. It should only take 6 to 9 months. 

has anyone found any pattern as to who they are sending these to? High volume sellers? Only sellers with a professional account? Only non-retired sets? Completely random? 

I haven't received anything yet but also do not have any active listings at the moment. But I'm getting ready to send in a ton of inventory & this has me very worried.

Edited by HappyHawkeye
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, HappyHawkeye said:

has anyone found any pattern as to who they are sending these to? High volume sellers? Only sellers with a professional account? Only non-retired sets? Completely random? 

I haven't received anything yet but also do not have any active listings at the moment. But I'm getting ready to send in a ton of inventory & this has me very worried.

I have not gotten anything either. FBM only for 5 years or so now. About 40 listings, most retired but have a few new sets I was flipping to get to 25. If they start hounding me with this stuff I'll likely bail from amz. Too much hassle & they don't want small timers like me anyways. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HappyHawkeye said:

Same here.  I've been selling on Amazon for a few years.  I had no active FBA inventory when this request was sent out so I wonder if that's why I haven't been caught up in it...yet. 

On 10/15/2018 at 6:42 PM, stoltzjl77 said:

Yep got it, panicked. I did a quick search and found this link:

https://www.lego.com/en-us/aboutus/lego-group/product-safety/

You can get certificates for most sets it looks like. I couldn't find one for Milano vs. the Abelisk (76081) but all the other ASIN's I got queried about in the email were there. So I guess I'll be sending a bunch of emails to child-safety@amazon.com. What a pain!

Were you able to get the certificate for Milano vs. the Abelisk (76081)?

Or it doesn't matter at this point because those certs were useless anyway?

Anyone continuing sending shipments to FBA or holding off until we figure out what's going to happen?

Edited by Lego_Monsters

Were you able to get the certificate for Milano vs. the Abelisk (76081)?
Or it doesn't matter at this point because those certs were useless anyway?
Anyone continuing sending shipments to FBA or holding off until we figure out what's going to happen?

Been sending them in every few days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This may re-assure some of you guys. As many of you I received the safety document inquiry message and I provided the LEGO.com documents on three ASIN’s. However, none of the ASIN’s listed was active, two were not in my inventory since last year and one was inactive (sold out). I proceeded to delete that one from my inventory right away.

Two days later I replied to the case Amazon created. I asked a simple question: “Since I no longer have these ASIN's in my inventory do I still need to provide the safety documents?” This action opened up a second case that was pending for 10 days until yesterday. See below the reply. 

”Thank you for the update. From your message, I see that you no longer have inventory stock for these ASINs. I will resolve this case, if you wish to sell any of the above ASINs please get back to us with the documents so that we can help you. If we have additional requests for this item, we will reach out again.” Amazon Product Compliance.

Based on the above I am hopeful that in my case not providing the proper safety documents will only gate the ASIN’s listed and won’t result in a complete removal of my selling privileges which would suck.

The original case from Amazon requesting the safety documents is still open pending Amazon review but I anticipate that the LEGO.com documents won’t be sufficient.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, brickology101 said:

This may re-assure some of you guys. As many of you I received the safety document inquiry message and I provided the LEGO.com documents on three ASIN’s. However, none of the ASIN’s listed was active, two were not in my inventory since last year and one was inactive (sold out). I proceeded to delete that one from my inventory right away.

Two days later I replied to the case Amazon created. I asked a simple question: “Since I no longer have these ASIN's in my inventory do I still need to provide the safety documents?” This action opened up a second case that was pending for 10 days until yesterday. See below the reply. 

”Thank you for the update. From your message, I see that you no longer have inventory stock for these ASINs. I will resolve this case, if you wish to sell any of the above ASINs please get back to us with the documents so that we can help you. If we have additional requests for this item, we will reach out again.” Amazon Product Compliance.

Based on the above I am hopeful that in my case not providing the proper safety documents will only gate the ASIN’s listed and won’t result in a complete removal of my selling privileges which would suck.

The original case from Amazon requesting the safety documents is still open pending Amazon review but I anticipate that the LEGO.com documents won’t be sufficient.

Thanks for posting this. I'm just going to remove the ASIN's they asked and hoping they would close my case. I'll just dump those sets on ebay instead.

9 minutes ago, brickology101 said:

I think the line about removing your selling privileges is referring to your documentation not being fake.  I don't think they are removing selling privileges if you supply no documents.  They may just remove those ASINs.  If you read it:

• Like 1

Perhaps this will reassure some of you guys. Just as many of you I received the safety document inquiry on three ASIN’s. In 

4 minutes ago, cobrakai said:

I think the line about removing your selling privileges is referring to your documentation not being fake.  I don't think they are removing selling privileges if you supply no documents.  They may just remove those ASINs.  If you read it:

Good point. Thanks.

Looking through the ASINs that were flagged every one had the word "Toy" in the listing. 

Most Lego sets listed on Amazon either have only the name of the set or it is referred to as a "building kit".  None of those required any sort of documentation.  

Now I do have other active listings with "Toy" in the title that were not flagged but it was about 50/50.  Maybe its a coincidence but it is something to keep in mind moving forward.  In theory since these items were originally sold by Amazon they should have all the required safety info on hand as it would have been provided by Lego.  Maybe these listings were created by Sellers that just happened to become the dominant listings but never had the Child Protection stuff affiliated with them.  Many of the titles are not what you would expect from Amazon with phrases such as "hot toy item" being thrown in.  Sounds like something a seller making a new listing would use.  

Thanks to everyone who has shared info on this matter.  

Edited by V22driver
  • Like 2

51 minutes ago, brickology101 said:

Perhaps this will reassure some of you guys. Just as many of you I received the safety document inquiry on three ASIN’s. In 

This isn't really reassuring, as next year may  will be worse. Whether they require safety documents for every set, outright block Lego, or lock down listings. I anticipate selling branded items, especially big name branded items to be a grind moving forward.

I recently had a listing I've exclusively sold for 3 years deactivated. I have invoices for selling it and have fought-en off I.P. claims multiple times. It's been about a month and half since it was deactivated and i provided proof. Still no update on the case. Its a branded item from a European company but Asmodee prints the contents here in the U.S. Not sure how this will pan out. I'm able to sell Asmodee branded items but i don't want to give into the brand change.

RO/RA can be hard at times. Look at book sellers, shoe sellers, even Lego when the gate came down. Its a matter of when and not "If". Diversify and stay smart out there.