10225 - UCS: R2-D2

Ed Mack

You can say all you want about the new movies coming out next year, but 'sold out' is a scary sign if you don't have any of this 2.5 years deep into the life span. How many sets had extra production runs after being sold out (not oos) at LEGO Shop at Home? Of course nothing is for sure but one gotta think about the odds.

• Like 1

Still 5 in stock in my local shop @ 175 euros so will sit this one out for now. Maybe they will do a BOGOF for New Year!

Well I'm pretty sure you can still find them in physical stores.

Last time I was in Berlin I still saw a few GE and TH.

And looooots of R2D2 (which is why I'm really puzzled right now... and this comes as a big surprise).

So I bet over the next week, maybe even couple of weeks it will absolutely be possible to find them in your friendly neighbourhood LEGO dealer store.

Amazon had them in stock yesterday and I think I may have seen on there that there were more coming in November (not in Lego shop, sorry for the confusion).  

AS mentioned, there is enough stock in local shops not to worry about losing out if Lego do EOL it but I still have reservations about this one for that very same reason- carried by too many stores and base price too high,

But my bet still stands regarding 7965 MF, that one is going nowhere for now!

Valenciaeric, yes you did saw on Lego LEGO Shop at Home with expected date of delivery to the end of November, but that's means nothing as i have lost HH and SSD in the same situation.

And 7965 is going nowhere?? It's Sold Out too on LEGO Shop at Home! have posted but seems that it's not a relevant set for all..

Valenciaeric, yes you did saw on Lego LEGO Shop at Home with expected date of delivery to the end of November, but that's means nothing as i have lost HH and SSD in the same situation.

And 7965 is going nowhere?? It's Sold Out too on LEGO Shop at Home! have posted but seems that it's not a relevant set for all..

7965 is the MF right?

So it's a pretty cool set and I think it will perform quite good.

The only thing that bothers me is that there already have been some versions of it and with the new movies upcoming I can see how LEGO brings out yet another version of it.

So I guess you have to be cautious about the MF...

Personally I think it's the best version of this set right now (including the UCS MF :-P since the UCS one is just too big for my taste to own it personally).

I bought 2 of them as investment and hope they pay off. A third one is for personal build or reselling depending on how good it performs ^.^

Locotus01, fully agree, only noticed that is sold out on LEGO Shop at Home and no one has comment that so only wanted to inform. It's a very known set and on sale everywhere

and with many kind of discounts, but when all were going, we will remember this lovely set (just my 2cts).

Disclosure-i have only one :-(

Let's take a breath.  The question that Cross posted was about what $200 set at this moment should a person go "all Ed" in?  My answer, with a few easy and obvious clues was the Tumbler.  Chase.Ok figured it out, but I couldn't approve his post from the Iphone.  Am I saying this set is going to retire soon?  No, but really who knows?  LEGO is possibly messing with EOL dates and this is a prime candidate and the recent activity on LEGO LEGO Shop at Home is odd.    

If the recent SSD, Haunted House and Town Hall experience has indicated anything, it has shown that you can never have enough of a grade A investment set.  It takes time to accumulate $200 LEGO sets and the Tumbler will be even more difficult to acquire than most.  While it is not readily available, it is available at many brick and mortar LEGO stores.  The Tumbler is a fantastic set.  It is also a Batman set, which only adds to its appeal.  Also, the new Batman movie won't hurt sales.  It's not always about timing retiring sets.  It's about sets that will explode in growth after retirement and acquiring enough of them to make a substantial profit.

Wait, wait, wait.  You didn't mean set 10504?  I just bought 950 of them!!!

Just can't see R2 going with the new movie coming out next year. We know R2 is in the movie. It will sell well next year. It would be a major misstep to retire this before the end of next year.

Unless they have something newer and better to replace it that they project would sell a lot more copies than the R2-D2 set that, at that point, would have been out 3 years.