10223 - Kingdoms Joust

Ed Mack

Agree KJ is probably a poor investment relative to others but it's actually a great set and hard to beat 9 minifigs/1570 pieces for $95.  I bought one just for my own collection.  I wonder if it will get additional markdowns at some point if it doesn't sell out.

• Like 1

The other interesting thing about this set is we will see how long it takes to sell out based on genuine demand rather tan hoarding frenzy. I think people sometimes lose sight of how sets like R2D2 were sitting happily  on shelves for months until the rumour went round and the investment brigade went on red alert. Why is this important? Because it gives an idea of future demand when resellers want to cash in.

• Like 1

I already have one KJ that I bought about a year ago at $119, and I just bought another one at the current discount.  Great excuse to actually build both of them and put them together like they have pictures :)

For anyone who likes building historical MOCs, this is a great parts pack and value at the current price.

• Like 1

What are the main reason this set isn't popular investment-wise?  I would argue it's because of two primary issues:

1. Medieval Market Village and Mill Village Raid, two larger recent Castle sets, haven't taken off like many believed they would.

2. KJ has been on the market since 2011.

Yet, while the Kingdoms Line hasn't provided Exclusive-like returns, someone who had purchased one of every set in the theme (except KJ) would today have a return of 73% (before fees/shipping) if they sold all their sets - nothing to sneeze at.  Only the King's Carriage Ambush (7188) sports a return below 45% (it's actually negative :negative: ). 

Assuming the same "non-Exclusive" return, KJ would sell for $210 in a couple of years.  If it starts to hit Exclusive-like returns of 150%+, its sales price in a couple years would be $300.  Either way, purchasing this at $100 seems like a no-brainer to me.

Kindgdoms Joust - likely your last chance!

EDIT - By the way, if you need any more reasons this may be a good choice, it pairs nicely with Kingdoms King's Castle, a non-exclusive returning nearly 90%.

I am conflicted on this set.

If you take the time to look at it- it's a beauty.

We know LOTR has eaten up production line space for Castle/Kingdom sets...

but LOTR sets will be going away. And not that far from now, really.

It makes a reasonable case for Joust being a Dark Horse once TLG starts re-focusing on Castle/Kindgoms.

I will acquire a few to hedge my bets... but am rooting for this set personally. It's greatest weakness is the lack of support the theme has received in the last couple of years. That support will return after LOTR licensing is wiped out. Demand for this set may follow... or it may not.

I am conflicted on this set.

If you take the time to look at it- it's a beauty.

We know LOTR has eaten up production line space for Castle/Kingdom sets...

but LOTR sets will be going away. And not that far from now, really.

It makes a reasonable case for Joust being a Dark Horse once TLG starts re-focusing on Castle/Kindgoms.

I will acquire a few to hedge my bets... but am rooting for this set personally. It's greatest weakness is the lack of support the theme has received in the last couple of years. That support will return after LOTR licensing is wiped out. Demand for this set may follow... or it may not.

I agree it looks like a very nice set. Just don't burn too much money on it. The problem is imo that kids don't seem to appreciate the non-romantisized medieval era anymore. When I still played with it, it was one of my favourites. I built the fortresses that I saw in real life and it was fascinating.

In this world of swiping, fiber optics, ipads and justin biebers, there seems to be no more room for this theme. Buy 2 or 3 for the notable adult MOC'er and he'll gladly give you 120-130% retail for it... But more I don't really expect from this set despite its 'coolness' and its relative scarcity. I think the prognosis for this set is even worse in the US then Europe due to the cultural heritage. Succes!

• Like 1

Outstanding post Neo.

It saddens me too that a generation will miss what the Castle and Kindgom sets are all about... my plan is to acquire three, and leave it at that.

I wish the state of our global culture was that this set would be a blockbuster. But you are right, this isn't what the kids "want" right now... here's to hoping that changes in a couple generations.

• Like 1

I agree it looks like a very nice set. Just don't burn too much money on it. The problem is imo that kids don't seem to appreciate the non-romantisized medieval era anymore. When I still played with it, it was one of my favourites. I built the fortresses that I saw in real life and it was fascinating.

In this world of swiping, fiber optics, ipads and justin biebers, there seems to be no more room for this theme. Buy 2 or 3 for the notable adult MOC'er and he'll gladly give you 120-130% retail for it... But more I don't really expect from this set despite its 'coolness' and its relative scarcity. I think the prognosis for this set is even worse in the US then Europe due to the cultural heritage. Succes!

I agree as well. It is a very nice set. But not for the kids nowadays.

A couple of months ago my doctor came over to my house to pick some lego for his grandson's birthday. He also brought his grandson with him. So I nicely grouped all the sets I was willing to sell by theme. Guess what... the grandson did not even give a look at the city sets. Even the Dino sets were not interesting. All he was grasping at was Chima and Ninjago. The rest he did not care for a bit. With alot of trouble his grandfather could convince him to also take a Star Wars set.

So that is the future of investing I believe.

Again... I think the Joust is a wonderful set. I would ask for it for X-mas if I was a kid. But I think we are slowly becoming extinct.

• Like 2

I agree as well. It is a very nice set. But not for the kids nowadays.

A couple of months ago my doctor came over to my house to pick some lego for his grandson's birthday. He also brought his grandson with him. So I nicely grouped all the sets I was willing to sell by theme. Guess what... the grandson did not even give a look at the city sets. Even the Dino sets were not interesting. All he was grasping at was Chima and Ninjago. The rest he did not care for a bit. With alot of trouble his grandfather could convince him to also take a Star Wars set.

So that is the future of investing I believe.

Again... I think the Joust is a wonderful set. I would ask for it for X-mas if I was a kid. But I think we are slowly becoming extinct.

My experience with Castle sets is a little different. 

> Kids buy what they know/see in stores and on TV/PC.  

> AFOLS watch GoT, Borgas,... know about culture and are passionate for medieval history. A joust in such a set-up seems a fine idea. MOC's on these themes will continue to exist. Armies of soldiers and knights needed.

So I wouldn't write Castle sets entirely off. In fact, I've been selling many 2nd hand castle sets handsomely last year. 

And maybe because there were so little good castle sets these last years, the Joust will stand out?

regards

• Like 1

My experience with Castle sets is a little different. 

> Kids buy what they know/see in stores and on TV/PC.  

> AFOLS watch GoT, Borgas,... know about culture and are passionate for medieval history. A joust in such a set-up seems a fine idea. MOC's on these themes will continue to exist. Armies of soldiers and knights needed.

So I wouldn't write Castle sets entirely off. In fact, I've been selling many 2nd hand castle sets handsomely last year. 

And maybe because there were so little good castle sets these last years, the Joust will stand out?

regards

Well said. I doubt that many kids will be begging their parents for a $200 or more KJ in the future, but there will be some buyers. More Lego brand exposure should bring more AFOLs out of the dark ages, and a lot of them probably had Castle sets as kids...

What kind of Date Stamps are you all getting on yours? 

I bought 2 during the Brick Friday LEGO Shop at Home sale this weekend, and i have 44R2.

That's late 2012 for those of you not in the know. That says something to me if brand new shipments were produced (or at least packed) 2 FULL YEARS ago.

This may become a true sleeper winner.

• Like 1