10223 - Kingdoms Joust

Ed Mack

For some of the heavier hitters and the long time investors, what's your thought on the Kingdoms Joust set (10223) as well as non themed Castle sets in general? 

For a lower cost exclusive, is the Joust a decent gamble, or better off spending a little more on the Asylum or something along those lines?

Castle sets in general, it's hard to get a good read on from looking at sets from the last several years. Since they kind of rebrand the theme every couple of years, it's hard to eye any generic castle set as being a super strong performer down the line...

One major plus of the recent Kingdoms line, is that it is far superior to the current Castle theme. All the blue really makes the sets unattractive. Red goes much better. Overall, IMHO, Kingdoms looks more authentic. If you take a look at past medieval sets, generally they do quite well. It is a major theme amongst Lego collectors, builders, fans in general etc. All this to say that there is always likely to be demand for most, if not all, of the sets along these lines. That said, I`m not sure how many people care about that "specific" set in regard to Lego remaking so many. I assume quite a few just go for what is available, but could be wrong. Far as the Joust goes, we really haven`t seen too many like that. There has been a few in the past, but not as many as some others. It should do well because it is a solid looking set, great playability, and overall makes a nice display. I`d say the only thing threatening the growth of this set would be when Lego releases another ( I say when, because it is inevitable). For that reason I`d be cautious. 

Arkham will be a guaranteed winner. There just isn`t any other way to say it. Wonderful looking set, and includes a boat load of excellent minifigs. When retired, my guess is the ceiling will reach as high as $400-$500, with the only impediment being the number people have stocked away. Coming from a Batman fan myself, I can absolutely say that he`s not going out of style anytime soon. Everything Lego batman is going to go up, just a matter of when. 

• Like 1

The problem with the joust set is we dont know when it will retire. It reminds me a lot of the medieval market, which stuck around for YEARS after the castle theme it was originally tied to was retired. The MM has seen poor returns, partly because it was around so many years and the market was saturated, but also because no other sets were around from that series. Will the joust suffer the same fate, being oversold for years being bought up by hopefully investors and when the time comes no one wants or needs the set? no one can predict the future, i personally bought two for myself when prices were around $100 each.

As for collecting more I would wait for either cheaper prices or indications that the set has or is about to retire.

The problem with the joust set is we dont know when it will retire. It reminds me a lot of the medieval market, which stuck around for YEARS after the castle theme it was originally tied to was retired. The MM has seen poor returns, partly because it was around so many years and the market was saturated, but also because no other sets were around from that series. Will the joust suffer the same fate, being oversold for years being bought up by hopefully investors and when the time comes no one wants or needs the set? no one can predict the future, i personally bought two for myself when prices were around $100 each.

As for collecting more I would wait for either cheaper prices or indications that the set has or is about to retire.

I don;t think 10193 MM has seen poor returns - up 40% in the 14 months its been retired. Yes last year was the year of the flippers but they are mainly gone now and supply of MISB & NISB ( I cannot remember the difference ) is drying up. We should see steady if unspectacular growth now.

10223 in comparison is rare, it rarely comes up on Ebay uk and when it does, its within 10-20% of RRP. I have never seen a used one listed yet.

That said it is at a high price point, nearly 30% more than MM and we do not know how long it has to run. I have not bought any yet.

• 3 months later...

I don't see this discussed that often, but it's been around a while (2012) but it sticks out a bit and doesn't really go with much else other than castle stuff? Is it popular or a bit of a dud in the grand scheme of things?

For reference I bought one "just incase" for the time being.

I don't see this discussed that often, but it's been around a while (2012) but it sticks out a bit and doesn't really go with much else other than castle stuff? Is it popular or a bit of a dud in the grand scheme of things?

For reference I bought one "just incase" for the time being.

It is a nice set. Especially if you have two and combine them. MMV is doing rather well too.

You should consider that this is the only castle (not theme, by castle I mean freaking fortresses, including Hogwarts and VC) set in years not using ridiculously huge and cheap molds, just plain bricks. I believe it will be sought after later by collectors because of this reason. And I would not be surprised if it went EOL soon.

I don't think you can go wrong with this set, it's a very nice set and a satisfying build.  Less discussion means it might be flying below the investment radar, which means not as many people are hoarding it.

The latest Castle theme is kind of a dud so unless Lego produces an awesome replacement for it, people will be looking towards sets like Medieval Market Village, Mill Village Raid, and Joust for their Castle fix.

I've been looking at this set for awhile on Target and Toys R Us hoping one of them would have a deal on it. Nothing so far. Anyone know of a way to pick these up for below RRP besides the airlines deal?

Discounted Gift cards are your best bet through our very own Brickpicker link to Raise.com

http://srv.buysellads.com/ads/click/x/GTND4K77CASDLK7WCA7LYKQIF6SIK53YCYAD4Z3JCKAI52JYFTYIL5QKC67IL27NF67DEK3EHJNCLSIZ

I think this set will be a winner, since its release in 2012 i havent seen it cheaper than $99 on amazon and it is usually full price, it even sells on ebay above retail on a regular basis. It is part of the previous castle series but it can easily be paired with any of them IMO, plus it has features that resemble and match well with the medieval market. Another benefit is that most people will typically try and buy 2 of them set as it is designed to fit back to back and match perfectly.

The one down fall is we have no idea when it will retire, if we follow the MM which was the exclusive set for that castle series, it stayed around for years, if i remember correctly it lasted the entire time during the kindgoms series and finally retired once the current castle sets came out. I would grab a couple for "just in case" for now, maybe snag a few more once this series of castles starts retiring but be prepared to be quick on your feet when it finally retires, you can usually find them at local lego stores after they retires or just be prepared to buy of ebay, theres always a few sells who dont pay attention to prices and end up selling their newly retired sets and near retail, prices. :money:

Pixmania.nl have it at 100eur.

Thanks, im aware but I dont like Pixmania. Read some bad reviews about this store. They ship from abroad so maybe difficult to return items if they are damaged during shipping. Do you have any experience with them?  (Toysrus also ships from germany to holland, toysrus is very small in holland they also dont have physical stores here only a website. But you can return for free they come pickup at your door)

I did see it at some other shops for around 90

Thanks, im aware but I dont like Pixmania. Read some bad reviews about this store. They ship from abroad so maybe difficult to return items if they are damaged during shipping. Do you have any experience with them?

pixmania.fr is really good, each set has its own box.

I never had to return anything though...

I have received many boxes and never been disappointed, but maybe it's only luck, or only in France.

Note that if you can, always chose a "distribution-point" (instead of the traditionnal post/post office) because shipping is better (little slower but boxes arrive in better condition).

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

This set is currently Out of Stock Ship September 15th. Haven't noticed it being out of stock. Also noticed its limit order of 2. Wish I had got in on a couple through Air Miles rewards in Canada but missed the boat.

Do we think these are signs of imminent EOL and what do people think about this set. I havent paid a lot of attention to the Kingdoms line.