10223 - Kingdoms Joust

Ed Mack

This is a niche product and therefore will attract niche collectors. Niche collectors are almost always prepared to pay more for what they want, more than the mass market will. This is a neat set that displays very well. I think it will do well in the long term.

I have no trouble investing where others see no point :)

I can't believe I almost listened to the people who begged me not to get a ton of Hoth Echo Base when they were $80 or so (CAN). People hate on lots of sets...but if you think it is cool, I say diversify and get a couple tucked away. I suspect in all the hubbub of other large sets retiring or going in/out of stock, that you won't have too many competitors in the aftermarket.  At the very least, you don't have to compete with Emazers, who would likely have 65 of these to unload....

• Like 1

I have no trouble investing where others see no point :)

I can't believe I almost listened to the people who begged me not to get a ton of Hoth Echo Base when they were $80 or so (CAN). People hate on lots of sets...but if you think it is cool, I say diversify and get a couple tucked away. I suspect in all the hubbub of other large sets retiring or going in/out of stock, that you won't have too many competitors in the aftermarket. At the very least, you don't have to compete with Emazers, who would likely have 65 of these to unload....

Always zag when everyone else zigs. That is how you win. :)

• Like 1

IMO, theres something telling me this set might perform better than a lot of people think.  Buy it at LEGO Shop at Home with the double points and the promo you can get a buy in at about $100 ... depending on your ceiling for profit this can be a winner ...

Sell it for around $200 (thats if it reaches that height, which might not be a problem) and after fees and shipping youll still come away with a profit of $50-70 ... not bad at all ...

maybe grabbing a couple to diversify your portfolio isnt a bad idea at this point of 10223s life ...

10193 medieval market village kicked my butt, so i am twice shy now about the kingdoms line. Medieval market was a very nice set, but hardly any appreciation. In comparison, Joust just doesn't compare, and based on that, I will pass.

Recent BP data suggests 10193 might be about to start showing some significant gains. I think it will get a nice boost in the next few months, and those that held will be able to make a solid (maybe not great) return. I think 10223 will be similar - it won't be a quick flip by any stretch...maybe a two year hold to see a decent return?

IMO, 10193 is probably one of the greatest Castle theme sets, and it's a slow gainer. Could be because of it's long life span.  Maybe it's because it's not a castle, I don't know.  For that reason, I won't go all in on any "castle" themed sets in the future.  That's not to say I won't buy them for building or to have 1 or 2 shelved, but not going to be a big buyer in them.

Always zag when everyone else zigs. That is how you win. :)

I suggest you do not do this on the freeway. :P

10193 medieval market village kicked my butt, so i am twice shy now about the kingdoms line. Medieval market was a very nice set, but hardly any appreciation. In comparison, Joust just doesn't compare, and based on that, I will pass.

It has nearly doubled in price in the UK. Not spectacular but still good if you got them at a discount.

Joust is an exclusive the same as the Haunted House is:  Attached to a theme but designed for older builders.  The Haunted House I believe is a bit overrated as far as resale goes.  It's a niche product that many AFOL are attaching if misguidedly so to the Modular series.

Joust is an exclusive the same as the Haunted House is:  Attached to a theme but designed for older builders.  The Haunted House I believe is a bit overrated as far as resale goes.  It's a niche product that many AFOL are attaching if misguidedly so to the Modular series.

Overrated!!?? Was the immediate and massive bump in price when it moved to Sold Out not an indicator that people will pay handsomely for it? Compare the HH with, say, the FB in terms of recent sales after moving to sold out and I think there is a big difference...

• Like 1

Overrated for long term investment.  We'll see of course, but I think it's one of those "sky is falling" moments for resellers.  It's a seasonal set that probably didn't well during it's normal run.  The hype is being generated because people are attaching it to the Modular series which it is not.  It's definitely a good investment but I don't see it being another Green Grocer.

Could you please move your discussion to the HH thread then? Or at least indicate at the beginning of every post that it's about the HH?

I got a little bit confused first reading "overrated for long term investment" concerning the kingdoms joust ^.^

At least KJ has that going for it: It's not overrated ^.^

• Like 1

Could you please move your discussion to the HH thread then? Or at least indicate at the beginning of every post that it's about the HH?

I got a little bit confused first reading "overrated for long term investment" concerning the kingdoms joust ^.^

At least KJ has that going for it: It's not overrated ^.^

My bad - I am always off on tangents...SQUIRREL!

As for KJ, I think it has the potential to do as well as MMV, which is moving slowly (but definitely up). Not every set is going to double in six months. I think a better Castle/Kingdoms line would also really help. Assuming LOTR/Hobbit waves are done, which seems likely, the door is open for a more AFOL-oriented medieval line (the current Castle theme has been criticized for being a little too junior looking). I think within the next 18 months TLG will have another line with some kind of castle in it, and that would be the time to sell KJ.

• Like 1

Don't want to further derail the topic but I always find it amazing people comparing today's sets to green grocer etc. It's almost meaningless, at lease not a fair comparison at all. No sets from today will have that kind of growth, that is not because they are not as good or less spectacular. We are in a different investment ERA now. How many people were hoarding green grocers back in the days? How many people are hoarding HH now? 

Back to KJ. Did not see any in my local lego store yesterday. I think this one is very close to being done.

• 2 weeks later...

got one today from Amazon, 99 euros plus shipping. Looks like a nice and quite rare set - hope it will do well.

It's a pretty nice set that has been exclusive. It has been largely available up until now though (and I bet it's still on a lot of shelves, the LEGO store in Berlin I visited did have plenty of them).

For 99

• Like 1

I always loved the knights theme so personally I cannot wrong with it xD

I'm a little bit sad that I missed out on the other cool kingdoms sets but to be honest I could buy them if I wanted to since the price didn't go that high.

I cannot imagine that LEGO will not eventually bring out even cooler sets for that theme. The Joust Set always reminds me of Game of Thrones ;-)

• Like 1