STAR WARS VII - "The Force Awakens" - Movie Discussion

gregpj

2 minutes ago, jeff_14 said:

If anything, Star Wars is the ultimate insurance to take risks. If you believe the haters, Phantom Menace was a crime against humanity. It made over a billion dollars. Its sequels made a little less but still more than the original trilogy movies. If you can't take a risk with that kind of record, when can you?

They most likely use ep 7 to stack as much odds on their favor as possible before the release of the brand new concept called ep8 & ep9 :dontknow:

1 hour ago, jeff_14 said:

If anything, Star Wars is the ultimate insurance to take risks. If you believe the haters, Phantom Menace was a crime against humanity. It made over a billion dollars. Its sequels made a little less but still more than the original trilogy movies. If you can't take a risk with that kind of record, when can you?

The prequels were absolute garbage though.  And just because it made a lot of money, doesn't mean the movie is any good.  There are lots of movies that have made a lot of money, yet are utter crap.  Everything about the prequel trilogy just oozed utter garbage, from the garbage writing, to the garbage acting, to the garbage green screen effects ON EVERY SINGLE THING, to ruining the mystique of Vader.  There's just too much wrong with them, and it's beyond refreshing to have that taste washed out of my mouth with VII.  The funny thing is, that to the normal layman, even those with knowledge of the original trilogy, gloss over some of the flaws of the movie.  But it's going to take us on a journey that we won't see coming.

And you should know how the internet is, the biggest critics are the loudest, but also a small minority of the people that actually care.  And besides, most of the people are just nitpicking for nitpicking sakes.  I do find it strange though, that the same people who are absolute critics to VII, loved the prequel trilogy.  It's hard for me to take them seriously if that's their barometer of what a good movie is.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, citymorgue said:

And you should know how the internet is, the biggest critics are the loudest, but also a small minority of the people that actually care.  And besides, most of the people are just nitpicking for nitpicking sakes.  I do find it strange though, that the same people who are absolute critics to VII, loved the prequel trilogy.  It's hard for me to take them seriously if that's their barometer of what a good movie is.

This baffles me as well... Lucas was always an ideas guy, so sure, there are some ideas there. But he needed a team of professionals willing to tell the emperor* he had no clothes.

*George Lucas is the emperor in this case.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, citymorgue said:

The prequels were absolute garbage though.  And just because it made a lot of money, doesn't mean the movie is any good.  There are lots of movies that have made a lot of money, yet are utter crap.  Everything about the prequel trilogy just oozed utter garbage, from the garbage writing, to the garbage acting, to the garbage green screen effects ON EVERY SINGLE THING, to ruining the mystique of Vader.  There's just too much wrong with them, and it's beyond refreshing to have that taste washed out of my mouth with VII.  The funny thing is, that to the normal layman, even those with knowledge of the original trilogy, gloss over some of the flaws of the movie.  But it's going to take us on a journey that we won't see coming.

It's hard for me to take any of this seriously as it's all out hate. And I never said making money equals quality. My point was that Star Wars will make money no matter what you do with it so why not aim higher since there is no downside risk. The day a Star Wars movie doesn't make money is the day the zombie apocalypse is underway. 

Prequels were original, Force Remakens was not. Too bad because I quite enjoyed the few new things in it. You can love something and still criticize it. There's no rule that to be a fan you must be zealously uncritical. It's like with sports. The hardest critics of most teams are their true blue fans. 

• Like 2

Honestly the prequels were pretty crappy but I still found some good things about them and enjoyed them because they were Star Wars and I'm a sheep when it comes to Star Wars lol. Yes ep7 had a lot of similarities to ep4 but it was still extremely enjoyable and entertaining and when it comes down to it that's what Star Wars films are meant to be. It started out as a B movie space film and they'll always be that at the core. Over the years with the huge growth in popularity people have taken it too seriously and wanna nitpick at the tiniest things lol. 

Edited by California92563
  • Like 4

There is suppose to be 5 of these Lego Force Awakens prequel videos, but so far I have only found 2.  Pretty cool info about Maz the famous space pirate.  These seem official, so any info is cannon?  Cool.

Maz video:

http://api.invodo.com/3/player?a=toysrus.com&api_key=c3b2c390751e1ee6d5e0774af5323dd82326cb99&player_type=e&p=BFHNM6XC

Akbar Rescue:

• Like 2

On ‎4‎/‎20‎/‎2016 at 3:05 PM, California92563 said:

Over the years with the huge growth in popularity people have taken it too seriously and wanna nitpick at the tiniest things lol.

There is a clip on the Cinema Sins channel titled "Everything wrong with Who Framed Roger Rabbit". Funny as some of those rants are, you have to be real creative (and insanely nitpicky) to find what could possibly be wrong in a film like that. Other channels like Nostalgia Critic or I Hate Everything help to reinforce the point you brought up with people critiquing the holy heck out of every teeny tiny little thing. Sometimes it can be amusing but often rather depressing honestly. Nothing is perfect and I just want to enjoy myself for a little while.

• Like 2

The further we get away from anything the more flaws you can find. Here's my favorite flaw from ANH. Some kid shows up with a kid princess to your secret base. Based on the ending ceremony there are dozens of available pilots. You have 24 fighters. The kid says he's a good pilot and some guy that's been with the rebellion a day longer say he's a good pilot. Without running any tests, you figure, "Let's give him one of our only fighters." In the middle of the fight, you place him in charge of a flight element. There is no logival reason why he should have been in the seat of that X-Wing or been the one making the shot in the trench run.

Or,what about some of these? Apparently there was only about a dozen TIE Fighters in a space station the size of a small moon.

Apparently years of training and dedication to learning the ways of the force can be distilled down to flailing blindly with a lightsaber in a cargo hold, carrying an alien on your back while running and doing handstands for about a week.

Apparently the Rebel Alliance military doesn't have a lot of problems with people taking a lot of personal time, as Luke runs off on them in ESB and Jedi.

The rank of General is apparently handed out to anyone. Lando had zero exposure to the alliance. Han had left the alliance on some kind of personal thing and wasn't heard from for a year, ostensibly causing COmmander Skywalker and Princess Leia to take a leave of absence, and the moment they come back they're all put in positions of authority.

That's just a few things off the top of my head. I think if I really thought about it, I could come up with a lot more. The thing is, I'm not really interested in picking apart the entire fabric of the series. I just want to enjoy it. are there problems with the OT, the PT and TFA? Of course there is. Nothing is perfect. If someone has serious problems with the last 4-5 outings in the same series, can anyone explain to me why there's even a hope that episode 8 is going to bring back the great times?

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, thoroakenfelder said:

The further we get away from anything the more flaws you can find. Here's my favorite flaw from ANH. Some kid shows up with a kid princess to your secret base. Based on the ending ceremony there are dozens of available pilots. You have 24 fighters. The kid says he's a good pilot and some guy that's been with the rebellion a day longer say he's a good pilot. Without running any tests, you figure, "Let's give him one of our only fighters." In the middle of the fight, you place him in charge of a flight element. There is no logival reason why he should have been in the seat of that X-Wing or been the one making the shot in the trench run.

Or,what about some of these? Apparently there was only about a dozen TIE Fighters in a space station the size of a small moon.

Apparently years of training and dedication to learning the ways of the force can be distilled down to flailing blindly with a lightsaber in a cargo hold, carrying an alien on your back while running and doing handstands for about a week.

Apparently the Rebel Alliance military doesn't have a lot of problems with people taking a lot of personal time, as Luke runs off on them in ESB and Jedi.

The rank of General is apparently handed out to anyone. Lando had zero exposure to the alliance. Han had left the alliance on some kind of personal thing and wasn't heard from for a year, ostensibly causing COmmander Skywalker and Princess Leia to take a leave of absence, and the moment they come back they're all put in positions of authority.

That's just a few things off the top of my head. I think if I really thought about it, I could come up with a lot more. The thing is, I'm not really interested in picking apart the entire fabric of the series. I just want to enjoy it. are there problems with the OT, the PT and TFA? Of course there is. Nothing is perfect. If someone has serious problems with the last 4-5 outings in the same series, can anyone explain to me why there's even a hope that episode 8 is going to bring back the great times?

Amen to this. There are other sci-fi features around that are much more plausible than the whole Star-Wars universe. But what it lacks in consistency and sense it more than makes up in cool action scenes and great vehicles. Oh, and sound effects ..... lots of cool sound effects. The lightsaber sound is sheer genius - love it.

• Like 1

I'm a '77 baby and grew up with the O/T movies. I enjoy all things Star Wars, but prefer the original material.

My 20 year old son grew up with the P/T movies and Clone Wars cartoons, and prefers them.

My 7 and 9 year old sons are all over the TFA and Rebels cartoon show. They begrudgingly watch the O/T movies to humor me.

I'm curious if there is any substantive demographic preference for one era of Star Wars movies/cartoons/toys based on what was popular during some key period in a SW fan's life?

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Deadfraggle said:

I'm a '77 baby and grew up with the O/T movies. I enjoy all things Star Wars, but prefer the original material.

My 20 year old son grew up with the P/T movies and Clone Wars cartoons, and prefers them.

My 7 and 9 year old sons are all over the TFA and Rebels cartoon show. They begrudgingly watch the O/T movies to humor me.

I'm curious if there is any substantive demographic preference for one era of Star Wars movies/cartoons/toys based on what was popular during some key period in a SW fan's life?

I think you sort of nailed it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Deadfraggle said:

My kids saw ANH first (they are nine), then the rest of OT, then PT except the last hour which was too dark for them, followed by TFA. They like all of them, but TFA and ANH are their clear faves.

• Like 1

If someone has serious problems with the last 4-5 outings in the same series, can anyone explain to me why there's even a hope that episode 8 is going to bring back the great times?

Most TFA apologists have said Ep 7 was just a set up film for all the new, exciting stuff that will happen in Ep 8. I have hope it will be great unless they title it "Episode 8: New Order Retaliates" then all hope will dwindle.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Steve Brule said:

Most TFA apologists have said Ep 7 was just a set up film for all the new, exciting stuff that will happen in Ep 8. I have hope it will be great unless they title it "Episode 8: New Order Retaliates" then all hope will dwindle.

So, despite your dislike of TFA you're going to side with the people who did like TFA even though you've already prejudged Episode VIII based on your dislike of TFA? I hope it works out for you, but If you're already talking bad about a movie a year and a half before it comes out and before they even finish principal photography,

1 hour ago, Steve Brule said:

TFA was written as the start of a new trilogy.  ANH was not.  The last time we got a film to set up a trilogy was TPM.

So, despite your dislike of TFA you're going to side with the people who did like TFA even though you've already prejudged Episode VIII based on your dislike of TFA? I hope it works out for you, but If you're already talking bad about a movie a year and a half before it comes out and before they even finish principal photography,

I didn't dislike it. Just thought it was disappointing to see a remake. They had dozens of directions they could have gone. Star Wars is a massive universe with so much potential yet they went down a path we've already walked.

I'll go into Ep 8 with an open mind just like I did with 7 having read no reviews or spoilers. I just don't want to see an excellent franchise end up like Marvel with all of their watered down films that get spewed forth and gobbled up each year.

Maybe all of our internet complaints will change Disney's mind about how they handle future storylines? :)

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, biking_tiger said:

Similar elements =/= remake

The only thing that will change Disney's "mind" uses this symbol: $

Exact same plot points does equal remake. Both Rebels and bad guys are pursuing a droid with secret information who winds up on a desert planet where his owner sends him away to escape capture. Said droid is found by a mysterious youngster with parental abandonment issues that has a connection to the Force and the main bad guy who then leave the planet after fighting some locals with the aid of a stranger aboard the Millennium Falcon with Han and Chewie. There is an alien bar scene with the heroes and someone with knowledge of the Force, a rebel planet is destroyed by the Death planetoid, the droid is delivered to the rebels, there is a break and enter and escape from the planetoid following a confrontation between an old man and the bad guy in black where the old man buys it otherwise our heroes are never hit by laser blasts, and then there is a fighter assault on the planetoid where it is destroyed by an impossibly lucky X-wing pilot amidst a big dogfight. Which movie am I describing? ;)

• Like 6

22 minutes ago, biking_tiger said:

Similar elements =/= remake

The only thing that will change Disney's "mind" uses this symbol: $

Hmm, movie 7 just told Disney that people wanted same old / similar elements in their SW movies (and SW fans will watch anything with SW on the title :P ).  This is actually disturbing for movie 8.

• Like 3