STAR WARS VII - "The Force Awakens" - Movie Discussion

gregpj

Anyone else less enthusiastic about TFA now that you've seen it and it's been a couple of months?

The more I reflect on the movie, the more I come to the realization that it doesn't compare to the original trilogy.  It's not even close.  Maybe I'm just getting old and my expectations are too high for new Star Wars films.  I was certainly more impressionable as a child when the OT was released and toys flooded the market.  I've had plenty of free Friday and Saturday nights to sneak away to see it again and I'm just not that enthusiastic about going for a 3rd time.  That sounds crazy since we've waited over a decade for this movie.  There's just something stale and unoriginal about the whole plot and presentation.  I know we've beaten that to the ground, but as a die-hard Star Wars fan I'm wondering if my expectations are just too high?

When I left the theater, I gave it a 8.5/10.  I'm down to about a 7 now  The OT are 10,9,10 for me (in that order).  

This felt like another James Bond movie.  Same script, same actors, same gadgets.  Entertaining, but very safe.  Nothing memorable other than a few battle scenes and a few unexpected lines of humor that I did enjoy.  Kylo Ren was a huge let down.  Most great movies have a nasty, evil villain.  Ren had that potential until he took his mask off. That was just too soon for me.  Emo Kylo Ren, indeed.

As for the box office records and fan mania, TFA reminds me of Frozen.  Some good music, a few interesting characters, and a familiar plot line.  But the villain was an overall disappointment and the movie wasn't original.  Disney fans love Frozen because they craved something with the Disney brand and style.  Other than Pixar, there was a huge Disney drought since Lion King (Scar is one of the best villains of all time).  Disney finally gave them something better than average and they ate it up.  I thought it was average and supported by a great marketing campaign.  I'm starting to feel the same about TFA.

Why am I ranting and comparing TFA to Bond and Frozen?  I don't know.  Maybe this belongs in the Tumbler thread.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BrickLegacy said:

I was certainly more impressionable as a child when the OT was released and toys flooded the market. 

I think this is a point that a lot of people often overlook when talking about these things. Nostalgia.

Every micro generation has those things on which they look back fondly. I'm in my mid 20s, and if you ask me about memorable childhood shows and movies, I would probably go right to those older Nick shows like Rugrats, Hey Arnold, The Land Before Time, etc. And believe me, I still have a lot of discussions about these shows with my peers. If you asked a 15 year old today what their favorite shows/movies are, I'm sure their answer would be completely different.

That's not to say that you can't compare the OT and TFA side by side on their own merits. I do think the OT are stronger films than TFA and enjoyed the OT more. Still, I'd be interested to hear the opinion of a 10 year old today (who doesn't have any long-term attachment to the films) as to which film(s) he or she enjoys more. I wouldn't be surprised if he or she said TFA.

Edited by lostontheverglow

3 minutes ago, lostontheverglow said:

I think this is a point that a lot of people often overlook when talking about these things. Nostalgia.

Every micro generation has those things on which they look back fondly. I'm in my mid 20s, and if you ask me about memorable childhood shows and movies, I would probably go right to those older Nick shows like Rugrats, Hey Arnold, The Land Before Time, etc. And believe me, I still have a lot of discussions about these shows with my peers. If you asked a 15 year old today what their favorite shows/movies are, I'm sure their answer would be completely different.

That's not to say that you can't compare the OT and TFA side by side on their own merits. I do think the OT are stronger films than TFA and enjoyed the OT more. Still, I'd be interested to hear the opinion of a 10 year old today as to which film(s) he or she enjoys more. I wouldn't be surprised if they said TFA.

Out of curiosity I just asked my 5 year old son.

"Buddy, do you like the Force Awakens or ..." and before I could finish my sentence he responded with "Ninjago?"

I asked him again but completed the sentence this time.  He liked The Forced Awakens better "but in 3D".

I give up.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, BrickLegacy said:

I just asked my son.

"Buddy, do you like the Force Awakens or ..." and before I could finish my sentence he responded with "Ninjago?"

I asked him again but completed the sentence this time.  He liked The Forced Awakens better "but in 3D".

I give up.

:lol:

Kids are the products of the environments in which they're raised. In the current child generation, that's smartphones, tablets, and 3D movies.

• 4 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, thoroakenfelder said:

See, I thought that the previews for the trailers were silly, and this just goes a step further. As though this is the thing that will make someone purchase the movie if they weren't going to.

Welcome to Marketing 101: the 2015/2016 edition :D

I suppose this is not going to be the only teaser for the trailer of bonus materials either

19 minutes ago, Bold-Arrow said:

I did notice upon my sixth viewing that right being Kylo killed his dad there was a pretty quick scene where what's left of the light out side is overconeby complete darkness . Very telling . 

Umm...you may want to try to fix that. Or repost when you've sobered up.

• Like 1

Here is my theory of Rey's origin.  I have this in my head for a while, just been too lazy to write it down :P

Spoiler

She is Darth Vader's daughter... This explains how she was so good with the force, too much midichlorian 

?????  HOW ????? The dude's lower part was cut off a long time ago

How? Simple, Rey is a clone of Leia Organa Solo ;)

What if the Rebels decided that Leia was simply too valuable of an icon and her death would ruin the rebellion?  They created several clones of her as backup in case the real one died.  What if the real one died when Ben Solo was little and the one seen on TFA was really a clone?  That would be enough to make teenage Ben Solo snap when he found out the truth (he kept saying the New Republic was full of lies).  Also, perhaps Han left clone Leia not only because Ben turned dark but also because he could not stay around pretending that Leia was still alive.  In any case, Ben found where the rest of Leia's clones were stored and destroyed the facility.

Except that 1 clone escaped somehow (or someone rescued it).  And this clone happened to be programmed with the knowledge of how to use the Force (just like how each clone trooper has different specialty based on his programming).  The programming is hidden so this clone child can blend in exile (Jakku).  The key to unlock this hidden programming was a lightsaber.  She just happened to discovered Luke's old one.  Since she was pre-programmed she could manipulate the force easily as soon as she became aware of her connection to the force (take that Kylo :P )

The question is who put the Force programming to Leia's clone? Was it Luke or was it one of the Sith?  This opens up possibility for Rey to be either light or dark side by the end of episode 8.

At least this is how I would write Rey's backstory in episode 8.  Is it too dark for Disney movie?

Discuss :P

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Darth_Raichu said:

Here is my theory of Rey's origin.  I have this in my head for a while, just been too lazy to write it down :P

Reveal hidden contents

Discuss :P

That sounds oddly familiar to a popular trilogy that is now non canon lol (*cough cough* heir to the empire) ;) 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, California92563 said:

That sounds oddly familiar to a popular trilogy that is now non canon lol (*cough cough* heir to the empire) ;) 

Whaat? How is that similar? There is no ancient senile Jedi or twins or Force nullifying creatures.  

Were you referring to Luuke, one of the weakest point of the otherwise great trilogy? 

• Like 2