gregpj

15 minutes ago, Bold-Arrow said:

I knew those kids from the Ewok movies were connected to SW 7 somehow :P

Or....

Billie Dee Williams will make a cameo in movie 8 :cool:

Or...

Rey could be Porkins' granddaughter :P

23 hours ago, yang said:

I finally bought the Bluray and watched episode 7. During the whole time, I thought I was watching a parody of episode 4 "a new hope"......

Yes, It was a shameless cash grab. The storyline was based on the principle of "what can we add/do next to make more money"

Unfortunately, it was so flawlessly successful - I wonder if they will ever be able to resist the $$$, and give us an actual original story.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Val-E said:

Ford were still making Mustangs with live rear axles till up until a couple of years ago and Boeing are still making 747´s so evolution for big organisations is tough in the real world too.

Don't let this movie limit your imagination. After all, we are talking about Star Wars, it needs creativity, it defines creativity. Think about the creativity of the 1977 movie.

Forget about what others think about this movie, just ask yourself: are you 100% satisfied with this version of episode 7? If you are, good for you. I'm not satisfied, I had higher expectation. I believe there are hundreds of ways to make this episode 7 much better, sadly they chose a lazy way.

Actually, look no further, I think some BPers on this forum including yourself might come up with better ideas for episode 7...... Just look at the creativity from the MOCs.

Edited by yang

3 minutes ago, thekragle said:

if rey does not wind up being a skywalker then Disney will finally alienate the 'old guard' star wars fans and star wars will just become 'another movie.'

Warning: possible spoilers ahead

Spoiler

Star Wars 8 will reveal that Rey is the reincarnation of Darth Vader and will be titled Echoes of the Dark Side, according to a Reddit user who claims to have a copy of the script.

Redditor LouEvilOne claims the script reveals a number of unexpected plot twists in the forthcoming film, including that "Rey is the reincarnation of Anakin Skywalker".

The post alleges that Luke Skywalker travels to his hiding place "to better understand how the process [of reincarnation] works". There, he learns that "the spirit of the chosen one is reincarnated by the Force every time the universe is thrown out of balance, which apparently happens on a semi-regular basis".

This explains why Rey is "so crazy powerful with the Force (remember that Anakin blew up the Trade Federation donut ship by himself when he was like 8 years old)", says LouEvilOne.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, yang said:

Don't let this movie limit your imagination. After all, we are talking about Star Wars, it needs creativity, it defines creativity. Think about the creativity of the 1977 movie.

Forget about what others think about this movie, just ask yourself: are you 100% satisfied with this version of episode 7? If you are, good for you. I'm not satisfied, I had higher expectation. I believe there are hundreds of ways to make this episode 7 much better, sadly they chose a lazy way.

Actually, look no further, I think some BPers on this forum including yourself might come up with better ideas for episode 7...... Just look at the creativity from the MOCs.

No personal interest in SW and haven´t seen the movie so you are asking the wrong guy! For, me so long as they keep scraping that barrel and people fall for it, that´s fine. Anything to help sustain the value of my portfolio. We´ve seen with EP1-3 and Lego Movie, that a new tack on the classic space story does not translate into good investments - people just want momma´s original flavour pie.

7 hours ago, Val-E said:

No personal interest in SW and haven´t seen the movie so you are asking the wrong guy! For, me so long as they keep scraping that barrel and people fall for it, that´s fine. Anything to help sustain the value of my portfolio. We´ve seen with EP1-3 and Lego Movie, that a new tack on the classic space story does not translate into good investments - people just want momma´s original flavour pie.

Rogue one is just going to be more of the same old designs to pander to the OT lovers.

15 minutes ago, thoroakenfelder said:

Rogue one is just going to be more of the same old designs to pander to the OT lovers.

Maybe. . They seem to be adding a lot of new characters, and vehicles into it that haven't been seen before.  Yeah, there will be At-At's, Tie's and X-wings, but I suspect we will get our share of newness.

10 hours ago, Phil B said:

Warning: possible spoilers ahead

Reveal hidden contents

Boo!! I prefer some variation of my Rey is a clone theory (a few pages back). it flows better with episode 2&3

35 minutes ago, thoroakenfelder said:

I think after the prequel trilogy they had to do something to reconnect with OT fans. Doesn't mean they can't move forward now with the follow ups.

My Rey theory? Her last name is Kenobi.

Just now, Fenix_2k1 said:

I think after the prequel trilogy they had to do something to reconnect with OT fans. Doesn't mean they can't move forward now with the follow ups.

My Rey theory? Her last name is Kenobi.

yeah, The Force Awakens was an attempt to recover lapsed fans. People who felt like the PT was not for them might look at familiar people, vehicles and even situations and say "This is my Star Wars." All the people complaining that TFA is too derivative are probably the same ones who complained that the PT was wrong for being too different. I can find something to enjoy in all of the movies (although AotC is hard to watch). I also love how all of the people who complained about TFA having too similar of designs are gushing over the return of the exact original designs. I think I am only feeling a little off about Rogue one because it's not part of the Saga proper. It's a spin off, and I've read my fair share of spin off media over the years. I'm just hoping that the further dilution of the brand and scrambling to come up with a new movie every year doesn't completely flatten the series.

13 minutes ago, thoroakenfelder said:

I think I am only feeling a little off about Rogue one because it's not part of the Saga proper. It's a spin off, and I've read my fair share of spin off media over the years. I'm just hoping that the further dilution of the brand and scrambling to come up with a new movie every year doesn't completely flatten the series.

So the only fair way to judge Rogue One is by comparing it to those 2 Ewoks movies.  I am feeling good about Rogue One already :D

• Like 1

2 hours ago, thoroakenfelder said:

yeah, The Force Awakens was an attempt to recover lapsed fans. People who felt like the PT was not for them might look at familiar people, vehicles and even situations and say "This is my Star Wars." All the people complaining that TFA is too derivative are probably the same ones who complained that the PT was wrong for being too different. I can find something to enjoy in all of the movies (although AotC is hard to watch). I also love how all of the people who complained about TFA having too similar of designs are gushing over the return of the exact original designs. I think I am only feeling a little off about Rogue one because it's not part of the Saga proper. It's a spin off, and I've read my fair share of spin off media over the years. I'm just hoping that the further dilution of the brand and scrambling to come up with a new movie every year doesn't completely flatten the series.

I don't see why someone complaining about the Force Awakens being derivative would complain that the PT was too different. They are opposed ideas. I defend the PT all the time precisely because it is different, while having serious concerns with Force Remakens for tricking me into watching a movie I'd already seen. Similarly, it makes sense to have the same vehicles in Rogue One as the OT because they are set at the exact same time, while Force Awakens is 30 years later. I agree that there are real world parallels with military and commercial vehicles staying similar over that period of time, but there are also vast differences too and seeing Force Awakens was sort of like going to Cuba and seeing the old cars. Given how different the fighters were in the PT from the OT over a shorter timespan than 30 years, one would expect some progression. On the other hand, my take is that the economic costs of basically a 50 year Civil War including the construction and destruction of 3 Death Stars (4 if you consider that the Force Awakens version was twice as big as the previous ones) would wreck the galactic economy and pretty much eliminate any non essential R + D spending as time went on. ;)

1 minute ago, jeff_14 said:

I don't see why someone complaining about the Force Awakens being derivative would complain that the PT was too different. They are opposed ideas.

I wasn't being hyperbolic, I was actually describing situations that I have witnessed. I'm not knocking PT Vs. OT vs. ST I'm just sort of over the constant negativity because people can't experience their childhood again. The studio listened to the fans who said they hated the PT and it was awful and gave them what they said they wanted. For people like me, who just wanted another fun Star Wars movie, it was entirely acceptable. I went with no expectations and had a good time. For Rogue One, I'm going in with no expectations or prejudices and maybe it will blow me away. Thankfully, the bar is set somewhere above AotC, and I doubt it will hit that low.

I do like your analysis that a 50 year war would lead to lower ability to spend on R&D.

• Like 1

i dunno.  TFA is 100x better than the mess I know as the "prequels".  

however, i "thank the maker" more and more after each TFA movie sitting.  i'm thankful JJA is not directing the next 2 films as his editing - writing combo (is way better than me but still) bad / choppy.  JJA almost made the perfect film but got in his own way.

hey, i still watch the movie once per week with the kids and enjoy it.

• Like 4

All this whining calling it the "Force Remakens" etc gets old. Yes, I agree I can see some minor plot similarities to ANH (with the biggest being the starkiller base), but there's so much new stuff in the Force Awakens that calling it a direct ripoff is just a simple act of lazy thinking and copping out on being critical of the film. 

The Force Awakens remains one of the most fun and entertaining films of the last few years in my book.  Id rank it in the top 10 over the last decade..  JJ did an excellent job, and I hope somewhere down the line he gets to make at least one more Star Wars film. 

The kylo vs rey battle at the end remains the best fight scene in all the Star Wars films.

• Like 3

I enjoy them all too and am not expecting to recapture my childhood. The reason Force Awakens left a bad taste after the first viewing was that it committed the cardinal sin of copying a prior movie. It's fine to use similar themes, etc. but this was like a paint by numbers New Hope with far too many identical plot points. I've come to enjoy it as an excellent remake and am praying that they never see fit to copy one of the previous ones again. That's one reason I'm excited all the more for Rogue One (despite the Death Star again) since it will be an original story. It may well be I enjoy the spinoffs more than the Skywalker stories going forward.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, fossilrock said:

All this whining calling it the "Force Remakens" etc gets old. Yes, I agree I can see some minor plot similarities to ANH (with the biggest being the starkiller base), but there's so much new stuff in the Force Awakens that calling it a direct ripoff is just a simple act of lazy thinking and copping out on being critical of the film. 

The Force Awakens remains one of the most fun and entertaining films of the last few years in my book.  Id rank it in the top 10 over the last decade..  JJ did an excellent job, and I hope somewhere down the line he gets to make at least one more Star Wars film. 

The kylo vs rey battle at the end remains the best fight scene in all the Star Wars films.

You're kidding I hope. That fight scene was ugly and accomplished nothing. Remove it and nothing about the film changes other than Finn being injured. There are more than minor plot similarities. The entire premise of the movie and so many of the main scenes are the same as New Hope. 

I will always wonder what could have been if JJ Abrams  directed the script Lucas turned in for this movie. At least it would have been something new. 

• Like 2

The intro was pretty darn original.  The only part that I agree could have been left out is the starkiller base sequence.  I'd have rather seen something other than another death star concept.  However, the rest of the film followed it's own path.  To state that this is a ripoff is selling it short..

5 minutes ago, jeff_14 said:

You're kidding I hope. That fight scene was ugly and accomplished nothing. Remove it and nothing about the film changes other than Finn being injured. There are more than minor plot similarities. The entire premise of the movie and so many of the main scenes are the same as New Hope. 

I will always wonder what could have been if JJ Abrams  directed the script Lucas turned in for this movie. At least it would have been something new. 

No, i'm not kidding.  To me that fight scene was better than anything in the prequels.  Ok, maybe the fight scene in ESB is on par with it, but that scene was excellent. 

"The fight scene accomplished nothing"?  Huh.. wow. 

Edited by fossilrock

Yeah, the film is going to pay homage to the previous storylines, otherwise it wouldn't be a sequel. 

Sure, they could have gone the way of the recent mad max film and made it look completely separate from the original 3 films, but they didn't.  Many of the shots in that comparison film are simple homages.  There was quite a lot of new things in this film.  As many have stated, it's a "soft reboot".  Safe enough to keep the old fans happy (well except the always negative star wars fanboy types, since they are never happy), but has enough different characters and story arcs to make it take on a new life. 

None of these new movies should be considered as canon.

George Lucas is the only person who knows what actually happened in Star Wars. He had the story, Disney rejected it, and replaced it with another one.

Imagine the Beatles had written an original album, but all the rights/control were purchased by someone else. The buyers then decided they didn't like the songs (maybe it didn't sound enough like their other material), so the owners wrote their own songs (which sounded very similar to other Beatles songs), and brought in other musicians to play them, and then they released that as a Beatles album.

The movies might be good, even great - but they will never really be Star Wars.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, fossilrock said:

i don't mind the sometimes similar story-lines.    what gets me are 1) some scenes seemed "rushed" (e.g. hanging w/ maz in the bar), "dump" (e.g. maz screaming "HAN SOLO" when they are trying to keep a low profile), Rey "abnormal" growth (e.g. she basically became Michael Jordan on the court after 15 mins of practice), Leia ignored Chewie after Han's demise but hugged some stranger, the entire red arm things with golden-rod and JJ cut retail peg warmer Constable Zuvio from the film.  I'll stop here.

at least we'll always have the movie novelization (based on an earlier script so it fixes most of the items).

• Like 4