STAR WARS VII - "The Force Awakens" - Movie Discussion

gregpj

On 4/24/2016 at 10:47 AM, thoroakenfelder said:

The further we get away from anything the more flaws you can find. Here's my favorite flaw from ANH. Some kid shows up with a kid princess to your secret base. Based on the ending ceremony there are dozens of available pilots. You have 24 fighters. The kid says he's a good pilot and some guy that's been with the rebellion a day longer say he's a good pilot. Without running any tests, you figure, "Let's give him one of our only fighters." In the middle of the fight, you place him in charge of a flight element. There is no logival reason why he should have been in the seat of that X-Wing or been the one making the shot in the trench run.

Or,what about some of these? Apparently there was only about a dozen TIE Fighters in a space station the size of a small moon.

Apparently years of training and dedication to learning the ways of the force can be distilled down to flailing blindly with a lightsaber in a cargo hold, carrying an alien on your back while running and doing handstands for about a week.

Apparently the Rebel Alliance military doesn't have a lot of problems with people taking a lot of personal time, as Luke runs off on them in ESB and Jedi.

The rank of General is apparently handed out to anyone. Lando had zero exposure to the alliance. Han had left the alliance on some kind of personal thing and wasn't heard from for a year, ostensibly causing COmmander Skywalker and Princess Leia to take a leave of absence, and the moment they come back they're all put in positions of authority.

That's just a few things off the top of my head. I think if I really thought about it, I could come up with a lot more. The thing is, I'm not really interested in picking apart the entire fabric of the series. I just want to enjoy it. are there problems with the OT, the PT and TFA? Of course there is. Nothing is perfect. If someone has serious problems with the last 4-5 outings in the same series, can anyone explain to me why there's even a hope that episode 8 is going to bring back the great times?

One more thing: Rey lives her whole childhood on a hot desert planet. She jumps on a ship and ends up on StarKiller Base in the snow. Even Han Solo has a warm bomber jacket on, but Rey soldiers on in thin clothes throughout a few snow scenes without even once rubbing her arms, showing blueness in the face, chattering teeth or any other cold symptoms. Heck, she doesn't even complain about the cold (unlike other women I know who put on sweaters when the A/C kicks in).

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Phil B said:

One more thing: Rey lives her whole childhood on a hot desert planet. She jumps on a ship and ends up on StarKiller Base in the snow. Even Han Solo has a warm bomber jacket on, but Rey soldiers on in thin clothes throughout a few snow scenes without even once rubbing her arms, showing blueness in the face, chattering teeth or any other cold symptoms. Heck, she doesn't even complain about the cold (unlike other women I know who put on sweaters when the A/C kicks in).

actually, in one scene she's wearing Finn's jacket. Obviously she complained enough that he gave it to her.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Darth_Raichu said:

Not if you are a fan of the French captain with the most British accent in a whole alpha, beta, delta, and gamma quadrants :jester:

I thought that it was funny that the universal translator didn't translate vulgarities. Like the time Picard said "Merde!"

I just found this while looking for my source, and it's hilarious.

• Like 1

An interview with one of my favourite comic writers on his approach to the very awesome Darth Vader comic book. " That's always my approach to most things in terms of,  What haven't we seen yet?" I don't like doing the same thing again and again because things kind of get boring." Attention Disney, promote this man into the film division.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/gillens-darth-vader-prepares-for-the-end-of-games

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zskid00 said:

These sets are overpriced and retailers know it.  Hopefully a short shelf life will help them in the afterlife.

Finally got around to watching Ep. VII on DVD (rental) last weekend.  Ugh.  Even the new Sith dude is some kind of emo pretty boy with daddy issues.  Makes me miss Jar-Jar & co.  I don't think anything can save Ep. VII sets.  As in the past, it's OT or bust.

• Like 3

Finally got around to watching Ep. VII on DVD (rental) last weekend.  Ugh.  Even the new Sith dude is some kind of emo pretty boy with daddy issues.  Makes me miss Jar-Jar & co.  I don't think anything can save Ep. VII sets.  As in the past, it's OT or bust.

I've never heard Adam Driver referred to as "pretty" before. :)

28 minutes ago, GhostDad said:

Anyone who says that Kylo Ren is a better character than Jar Jar Binks is a complete and total moron.  Jar Jar forever!

• Like 1

Just now, exciter1 said:

Dn97nK8.jpg

SACRILEGE...do not ever -- and I mean ever -- debase the greatest character ever in the history of Star Wars lore in my presence.  I will not stand for it.  But, now that I think about it, there's not much I can do about it so carry on

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, redcell said:

SACRILEGE...do not ever -- and I mean ever -- debase the greatest character ever in the history of Star Wars lore in my presence.  I will not stand for it.  But, now that I think about it, there's not much I can do about it so carry on

WE always know Darth Jar Jar has been pulling all the strings since episode 1.   

1 hour ago, redcell said:

Anyone who says that Kylo Ren is a better character than Jar Jar Binks is a complete and total moron.  Jar Jar forever!

Well, I meant that Kylo Ren is a poor substitute for Darth Maul as the arch villain's righthand man.  So in that respect, as in many others, Ep. VII is inferior to the prequel trilogy.  But now that you mention it, at least Jar-Jar was intended to be stupid.  Kylo Ren is just pathetic.  About as scary as an ewok with a glowstick.

21 minutes ago, GhostDad said:

Well, I meant that Kylo Ren is a poor substitute for Darth Maul as the arch villain's righthand man.  So in that respect, as in many others, Ep. VII is inferior to the prequel trilogy.  But now that you mention it, at least Jar-Jar was intended to be stupid.  Kylo Ren is just pathetic.  About as scary as an ewok with a glowstick.

I dare you to google that.

On ‎5‎/‎9‎/‎2016 at 2:13 PM, zskid00 said:

I can't imagine what the "glowstick" search results would be.  There are some scary Ewok memes out there.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTwuaNfbKXyrw4XnRI8MYW

And to think... Mr. "Yub Nub" there defeated an entire legion of the Empire's most elite stormtroopers.  I believe that was a day after a couple hundred Aztecs crossed the Atlantic in dugout canoes and conquered Spain.  It's so sad that there are actually only two SW movies -- Episodes IV and V.  I really wish someone would make more of them...

• 3 weeks later...