STAR WARS VII - "The Force Awakens" - Movie Discussion

gregpj

11 minutes ago, Darth_Raichu said:

Whaat? How is that similar? There is no ancient senile Jedi or twins or Force nullifying creatures.  

Were you referring to Luuke, one of the weakest point of the otherwise great trilogy? 

I was mainly referring to the cloning of force sensitive individuals and the destruction of the facility ;) btw I love your comment about the ancient senile Jedi! Lol 

Edited by California92563
  • Like 3

On 2/20/2016 at 7:13 PM, BrickLegacy said:

Anyone else less enthusiastic about TFA now that you've seen it and it's been a couple of months?

The more I reflect on the movie, the more I come to the realization that it doesn't compare to the original trilogy.  It's not even close.  Maybe I'm just getting old and my expectations are too high for new Star Wars films.  I was certainly more impressionable as a child when the OT was released and toys flooded the market.  I've had plenty of free Friday and Saturday nights to sneak away to see it again and I'm just not that enthusiastic about going for a 3rd time.  That sounds crazy since we've waited over a decade for this movie.  There's just something stale and unoriginal about the whole plot and presentation.  I know we've beaten that to the ground, but as a die-hard Star Wars fan I'm wondering if my expectations are just too high?

When I left the theater, I gave it a 8.5/10.  I'm down to about a 7 now  The OT are 10,9,10 for me (in that order).  

This felt like another James Bond movie.  Same script, same actors, same gadgets.  Entertaining, but very safe.  Nothing memorable other than a few battle scenes and a few unexpected lines of humor that I did enjoy.  Kylo Ren was a huge let down.  Most great movies have a nasty, evil villain.  Ren had that potential until he took his mask off. That was just too soon for me.  Emo Kylo Ren, indeed.

As for the box office records and fan mania, TFA reminds me of Frozen.  Some good music, a few interesting characters, and a familiar plot line.  But the villain was an overall disappointment and the movie wasn't original.  Disney fans love Frozen because they craved something with the Disney brand and style.  Other than Pixar, there was a huge Disney drought since Lion King (Scar is one of the best villains of all time).  Disney finally gave them something better than average and they ate it up.  I thought it was average and supported by a great marketing campaign.  I'm starting to feel the same about TFA.

Why am I ranting and comparing TFA to Bond and Frozen?  I don't know.  Maybe this belongs in the Tumbler thread.  

+1

And after watching the Star Wars Rebels finale last night, it made me even more depressed at how unoriginal and rehashed TFA played out. Sorry, not dragging Rebels into TFA thread, but for comparison's sake, I thought Rebels finale was class! Did meet Kylo Ren in Hollywood Studios the other day, he was very menacing in person. Kids were terrified.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Jeffrey_Dollars said:

i pre-ordered the blueray/dvd/digital HD from amazon and it said the digital version i paid for would be available to watch on the 1st, but im looking in my amazon video library and its not there

Yeah, that wasn't going to work. The digital version you get is a code printed on a paper and inserted into the case. You have to load it on Disney Movies Anywhere. I think that Amazon only promised that their digital version would be available today. Thankfully, the BR DIgital version loads to Amazon and Vudu if your accounts are linked on DMA

• Like 1

I pre-ordered it on apple tv, and had it when I woke up.  Watched it this morning, along with the documentary feature.  This movie gets better with each viewing.

With the last couple episodes of rebels making that series better and better, I can't wait for Rogue One.. I think we are definitely back in the golden age of Star Wars, again.  Such good times and a far cry from the prequel days when I lost interest after the Attack of the Clones.

21 minutes ago, fossilrock said:

I pre-ordered it on apple tv, and had it when I woke up.  Watched it this morning, along with the documentary feature.  This movie gets better with each viewing.

With the last couple episodes of rebels making that series better and better, I can't wait for Rogue One.. I think we are definitely back in the golden age of Star Wars, again.  Such good times and a far cry from the prequel days when I lost interest after the Attack of the Clones.

Rey is still my favorite thing about TFA, that hasn't changed.

• Like 5

34 minutes ago, exciter1 said:

Rey is still my favorite thing about TFA, that hasn't changed.

I like all the new characters in the resistance.  Personally, my favorite new character is Finn.  John Boyega, to me was the best thing in Force Awakens, with Rey a close second.  I personally felt Boyega stole the show.. I also like Oscar's portrayal of Poe, and hope that in Ep8 they expand on his character arc, and take him to new heights.  All 3 of those characters are going to carry this series to new heights, and I don't think they could have cast it any better.

I'd say the weakest new characters would be Kylo and Phasma.  I was hoping Phasma would be dead from the planet's collapse, and that would be the end of the weakest character arc since Darth Maul.  But, supposedly, she's back in Ep8, and I think that could ruin this character even further.  However, like Clone Wars and Rebels turned Maul into a much better character, they'll probably do the same with Phasma by carrying her arc outside of the movies.  She'll be absolutely pointless in the movies, but will be rescued in comics, tv shows, etc.  I'm hoping they don't waste a lot of screentime with her in the upcoming sequels.  Gwedeline Christie's characters just come off as bland. I feel the same way about her portrayal of Bree in Game of Thrones.  She's just "blah"...

I also find Adam Driver just a little better than average.  How he walks around in the Kylo uniform is a little annoying.  To me, he's kind of an ok villian, but he's not Darth Vader from the OT.  I still think Driver has potential to broaden the character arc though, but Kylo isn't going to be as iconic as Vader, IMO.  Of course, I have no idea where they are taking him in ep8, so I reserve some judgement.

I'd rather see Benicio del Toro's character or some other character take up the screen time over those two though.  I can just imagine what he's going to bring to the next movie.  If he's even half as crazy as his portrayal of Dr Gonzo in Fear and Loathing... he will be my favorite Star Wars character instantly. 

Edited by fossilrock

1 hour ago, fossilrock said:

Yeah I agree I really enjoyed it when I watched it last night off of my Apple TV as well. 

13 hours ago, MarleyMoose said:

I watched the deleted scenes last night. Will probably watch TFA tonight after work.

anyone else note that some deleted scenes were cut down themselves or cutout entirely?

E.g.  Maz doesn't use the force in her cellar when confronting the stromtroppers.  Instead, we Han Solo doing stand-up.  

Note: I hope Rian Johnson uses better editors than JJ for ep 8.

After watching the snows-speeder chase scenes, I'm glad it was cut if that was the "finished" product.  The CG in that scene are bad...

neverthless, I'm a happy owner of ep 7 now :)

2 hours ago, jaisonline said:

anyone else note that some deleted scenes were cut down themselves or cutout entirely?

E.g.  Maz doesn't use the force in her cellar when confronting the stromtroppers.  Instead, we Han Solo doing stand-up.  

Note: I hope Rian Johnson uses better editors than JJ for ep 8.

After watching the snows-speeder chase scenes, I'm glad it was cut if that was the "finished" product.  The CG in that scene are bad...

neverthless, I'm a happy owner of ep 7 now :)

That scene with the snow speeder wasn't close to polished.  That scene was more than likely decided that it wasn't working and needed to be cut early in the CGI creation phase.

I'm glad all those deleted scenes were cut.  None of them were that necessary, and the flow was much better without them.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
30 minutes ago, yang said:

I finally bought the Bluray and watched episode 7. During the whole time, I thought I was watching a parody of episode 4 "a new hope"......

Congrats. You are the 1,000,000 to post this comment on the internet!  As your prize you win nothing and this movie remains the most successful domestic film of all time.  

(I get what your saying but I have found it better with each watch, especially the charector building and acting, really looking forward to ep8)

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, CoastaLego said:

Congrats. You are the 1,000,000 to post this comment on the internet!  As your prize you win nothing and this movie remains the most successful domestic film of all time.  

(I get what your saying but I have found it better with each watch, especially the charector building and acting, really looking forward to ep8)

No doubt they are successful in terms of money grabbing, but box office success does not necessarily mean a great movie. We've seen so many examples nowadays (transformers being another example). 

I just feel they are so lazy in the plot and the design. I mean look at the spaceships, so after 30 years (in the movie after episode 6), they are still flying ISD, x-wing, TIE fighter and MF? And another Death Star?

Sorry, I know I'm a late whiner, I'm sure all of these must've been discussed over and over again.

Edited by yang

1 hour ago, yang said:

No doubt they are successful in terms of money grabbing, but box office success does not necessarily mean a great movie. We've seen so many examples nowadays (transformers being another example). 

I just feel they are so lazy in the plot and the design. I mean look at the spaceships, so after 30 years (in the movie after episode 6), they are still flying ISD, x-wing, TIE fighter and MF? And another Death Star?

Sorry, I know I'm a late whiner, I'm sure all of these must've been discussed over and over again.

Transformers got slammed by critics and force awakens was a critical success. That's not really a fair comparison. Star wars had box office success and critic success.   

You think thirty years is crazy for xwings being the same?  A thousand years ago in that universe things look about the same as they do now. 

12 minutes ago, CoastaLego said:

Transformers got slammed by critics and force awakens was a critical success. That's not really a fair comparison. Star wars had box office success and critic success.   

You think thirty years is crazy for xwings being the same?  A thousand years ago in that universe things look about the same as they do now. 

Relax dude, I'm not arguing with you. You love the new movie, I get it. But there are thousands and thousands of ppl who don't, just like you said, I'm one of them. End of story. No need to argue and try to convince others that they are wrong. It's just a movie......

34 minutes ago, yang said:

Relax dude, I'm not arguing with you. You love the new movie, I get it. But there are thousands and thousands of ppl who don't, just like you said, I'm one of them. End of story. No need to argue and try to convince others that they are wrong. It's just a movie......

Haha what? I didn't love it. I even said in the first post I get what you are saying.

I was light hearted in making fun of you for saying something that has been said time and time again.  

But you are comparing to movies that were slammed by critics doesn't match up because this one wasn't. 

2 hours ago, yang said:

So obviously, the genius

Spoiler

Mon Calamari

who designed the B-Wing died sometime between ep 6 & 7 :P

(SW Rebels FTW !!!!!)

• Like 2

21 hours ago, yang said:

Ford were still making Mustangs with live rear axles till up until a couple of years ago and Boeing are still making 747´s so evolution for big organisations is tough in the real world too.

• Like 1