No more free listings?

Cetona

If you use ALL 50 of your free listings a month...that's $15. With that many listings you should be creating some significant revenue. Are people actually thinking of changing their investing strategy for a few dollars? If so than it seems to me that your model wasn't a very good one to begin with.

To put this in perspective I have sold all 9 of my Captain America Cycles on 1 free listing over the last 3 months. That's a whopping .90 against $270 in revenue that I would have to pay. Not saying I like it, but really, it is an immaterial amount.

If you are a "small time" investor with 10 listings that's $3. Do we get all worked up if the price of gasoline goes up .05 per gallon? The reality is that probably affects your investing profit/loss just as much.

I think that eBay's plan is to get people who use the 50 listings to buy a store then the company gets a steady stream of revenue. It's a good business decision.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Brickpicker mobile app

I try to use up my 50 free listings each month. eBay has been running so many promos lately that gives me basically thousands of free listings that I don't even know what to do with. I hope they continue to offer those...then I wouldn't have to upgrade to a store lol.

If you use ALL 50 of  your free listings a month...that's $15.  With that many listings you should be creating some significant revenue.  Are people actually thinking of changing their investing strategy for a few dollars?  If so than it seems to me that your model wasn't a very good one to begin with.

To put this in perspective I have sold all 9 of my Captain America Cycles on 1 free listing over the last 3 months.  That's a whopping .90 against $270 in revenue that I would have to pay.  Not saying I like it, but really, it is an immaterial amount.

If you are a "small time" investor with 10 listings that's $3.  Do we get all worked up if the price of gasoline goes up .05 per gallon?  The reality is that probably affects your investing profit/loss just as much.

This is all understandable and makes complete sense. It is just a little frustrating they are trying to push sellers one way or another. Of couse it makes sense to have people sign up for the stores as they will have a more consistent basis for their income stream and be able to better predict what their quarterly revenue will be. It's a great business decision for them as they have most of us "spoiled" with the free lisitings. I am seeing it as a new "cost of business" which really can be rolled to the consumer by bumping up listing prices to reflect the cost. I feel that is most likely what we will see is even more inflated completed listings on Ebay as we try and compensate for the difference. I am thinking that with 50 listings costing $15 bucks, maybe it is time to take a dive into the business store. I just don't know if I am ready for that commitment.

My issue is i have tons of oddball stuff that i like to sell at a decent price (worth my while) and i'm willing to let them sit out there for a long time.

As an examplei have some 250 items i continually re-list, and people pick them up every so often. For example Star Wars POTF2 figures from 1995-2000. They're easy to find elsewhere on ebay for $1 each, but i have some rarities and some in such perfect condition that a very small set of folks get interested in and are willing to pay a decent price for.

If i list them every month for .30 each, they sell so infrequently, and for such little cash that its not worth it for me. I never know which 2 or 3 of the 250 someone will want on any given month. I've had things for sale for YEARS, and all of a sudden someone will hit the buy it now just because.

For me, this will push me off ebay for that type of item. 

If you use ALL 50 of  your free listings a month...that's $15.  With that many listings you should be creating some significant revenue.  Are people actually thinking of changing their investing strategy for a few dollars?  If so than it seems to me that your model wasn't a very good one to begin with.

To put this in perspective I have sold all 9 of my Captain America Cycles on 1 free listing over the last 3 months.  That's a whopping .90 against $270 in revenue that I would have to pay.  Not saying I like it, but really, it is an immaterial amount.

If you are a "small time" investor with 10 listings that's $3.  Do we get all worked up if the price of gasoline goes up .05 per gallon?  The reality is that probably affects your investing profit/loss just as much.

You are making the assumption that all of the 50 listing are selling in one month and that's not the case. Many don't sell and have to be relisted.

My issue is i have tons of oddball stuff that i like to sell at a decent price (worth my while) and i'm willing to let them sit out there for a long time.

As an examplei have some 250 items i continually re-list, and people pick them up every so often. For example Star Wars POTF2 figures from 1995-2000. They're easy to find elsewhere on ebay for $1 each, but i have some rarities and some in such perfect condition that a very small set of folks get interested in and are willing to pay a decent price for.

If i list them every month for .30 each, they sell so infrequently, and for such little cash that its not worth it for me. I never know which 2 or 3 of the 250 someone will want on any given month. I've had things for sale for YEARS, and all of a sudden someone will hit the buy it now just because.

Yes, I am in similar situation. I have many items that won't sell for months and then will sell slowly over time because I am unwilling to give them away for next to nothing by either lowering the BIN price or through an auction with a low starting amount. I just do this on the side to make some extra money so I will let something sit for months without selling. Doesn't bother me as long as I'm not paying to list it. THIS is ultimately what ebay wants to move away from by forcing auctions. They would rather have a smaller final value fee now than a larger one 6-12 months from now or never if it doesn't sell.

I sell just a small amount each month on Ebay. Not happy at all about the new policy. First they basically extort money for shipping charges, charges that sellers make no profit on whatsoever. Then they bait and switch by getting everyone used to a certain amount of free fixed listings, then turn around and start charging for them. Ebay is going run their business into the ground with their greed. Eventually sellers will just find other ways to sell their items instead of paying the exorbitant fees. Buyers are already complaining about prices because sellers have to raise prices just to cover shipping and all the stupid fees. On small items, ebay actually makes more money on the sale than the seller does. I think i am just about done with them. 

Guys, it's not that difficult.  Just start your auction price right around where you would start your Fixed Price.

ETA:  The only time it might/should hurt is if you offer BIN or Best Offer; because with Best Offer you're empowering a potential buyer with the idea that they're setting the bargain....not you.

This really sucks, especially or small sellers like myself.... I maybe sell 1 item a month..... 

Guess I should be happy, since I make majority of money through Bricklink..... :)

From now on I will only use Ebay for high valued items especially Sets..... anything worth less than 20$ = no more selling there!

I think Bricklink might be happy for the change in the long run :D

Agreed, its finally time to get my bricklink store to have some listings...

A lot of buyers shy away from auction style listings because they don't want to end up in a bidding war and also don't want the price to go up if someone bids against them. I never use auction style listings for this reason. 

When I buy things on ebay, I look for BIN.  Cost is known and I don't have to come back and mess with bidding later.

eBay wants to push those kind of items off the site. A large part of the new Cassini search engine is burying the listings of items that are stagnant, and further burying a seller's complete line of offerings if his/her overall listing and selling habits miss certain thresholds, including old, slow-moving inventory.

eBay wants their site to be full of fresh, competitively priced offerings from sellers who aren't dumbos.

I am sure you have the non-dumbo part covered  :thumbsup:  and you may be competitive in price, but they don't like your oldy moldies and if they can encourage you to get rid of them by taking away the freebies, they will.

(As the proud owner of a large number of oldy moldy listings myself, I do understand and sympathize with why you were relisting them -- eventually, most of them sell, but it can be a long eventually -- but that is a business model that eBay is actively discouraging through the new search engine and now through targeting specific categories that probably have a high number of oldies and/or are so saturated eBay's pleased to lose some of us from them.)

• Like 2

I'm definitely going to explore the bricklink store option. It makes perfect sense since I have a ton (okay, a ton by my low standards) of minifigures and especially polybags that sell so on and off that they are totally not worth selling on eBay, and relisting and tracking as auctions. Just not going to do it that way given the opportunity cost.

I'd imagine this would hold true for most of us who work full time jobs and do this on the side.

Sent from my iPhone using Brickpicker

eBay wants to push those kind of items off the site. A large part of the new Cassini search engine is burying the listings of items that are stagnant, and further burying a seller's complete line of offerings if his/her overall listing and selling habits miss certain thresholds, including old, slow-moving inventory.

eBay wants their site to be full of fresh, competitively priced offerings from sellers who aren't dumbos.

I am sure you have the non-dumbo part covered  :thumbsup:  and you may be competitive in price, but they don't like your oldy moldies and if they can encourage you to get rid of them by taking away the freebies, they will.

(As the proud owner of a large number of oldy moldy listings myself, I do understand and sympathize with why you were relisting them -- eventually, most of them sell, but it can be a long eventually -- but that is a business model that eBay is actively discouraging through the new search engine and now through targeting specific categories that probably have a high number of oldies and/or are so saturated eBay's pleased to lose some of us from them.)

You always make the best ebay posts.

Now every time i see a listing that I know has been on ebay forever I am going to label them oldy moldies. 

• Like 1

I am sure you have the non-dumbo part covered :thumbsup: and you may be competitive in price, but they don't like your oldy moldies and if they can encourage you to get rid of them by taking away the freebies, they will.

This may well be the case, but as a collector first, it would almost mean I don't look to search eBay before anywhere else. (My current practice, which is arguably flawed anyway, but still.)

As with anything, only time will tell whether this move works favorably for them and buyers in the long term.

You are making the assumption that all of the 50 listing are selling in one month and that's not the case. Many don't sell and have to be relisted.

Not making that assumption at all.  It's still $15 per month....if it's the same item relisting itself (ie with a "good till cancelled) or a new item that is replacing one that sold.  It is still just $15 per month that Ebay is giving us. (or in this case, no longer giving us).

Look...I hate many of Ebay's policies too.  No negatvie feedback for buyers, stupid "expected arrival dates" and high fees.  This might make me rethink if I get a store or not, but certainly not rethink my investment strategy.   Question:  Is there any benefit to having a store that we may not have already thought of?  Like maybe increased exposure in the search engine?

Not making that assumption at all.  It's still $15 per month....if it's the same item relisting itself (ie with a "good till cancelled) or a new item that is replacing one that sold.  It is still just $15 per month that Ebay is giving us. (or in this case, no longer giving us).

Look...I hate many of Ebay's policies too.  No negatvie feedback for buyers, stupid "expected arrival dates" and high fees.  This might make me rethink if I get a store or not, but certainly not rethink my investment strategy.   Question:  Is there any benefit to having a store that we may not have already thought of?  Like maybe increased exposure in the search engine?

A benefit that doesn't really add to the bottom line is being able to put your store on vacation mode.  That way you don't have to super plan around when you'll be out for vacation.  Also is nice if random travel pops up spur of the moment for your day job.

I think this may benefit BrickLink in the short run, but I'm still waiting for the fee hammer to fall from the hands of BrickLink's new ownership. They are investing a lot in the site and they are going to want to recoup that money somehow - I fully expect fees to increase by the end of the year. Of course, they'll tell us that what they're doing is for our own good (increasing footprint/reach/customer base) but it will be painful in the short run. Oh well, adapt and overcome - or give up and go home. 'Tis the way of things.

A benefit that doesn't really add to the bottom line is being able to put your store on vacation mode.  That way you don't have to super plan around when you'll be out for vacation.  Also is nice if random travel pops up spur of the moment for your day job.

Yes...I did have a store before and loved that.  Back in the days I had my store all the listings were in the "Found in Ebay Stores" section which i aboslutely hated!.  You could also do "sales" if  you wanted to drive revenue.  That was pretty cool.  Might have to make the switch.

So I called eBay for a dumb buyer issue, and brought up the new free listing policy and shared my honest feedback while I was on the call.

The customer service person documented my feedback and said she would be forwarding to management. She also encouraged me to write to eBay directly, using a feedback link on their site. In addition, she also mentioned they have been getting a lot of negative feedback since yesterday, and the more people call in and write, the greater the likelihood of any modifications to the upcoming policy change, maybe a middle ground resolution.

I was just stating my opinion as a matter of course. I didn't even *demand* a change and I was calm, professional, and collegial the entire time. :D

Point is, if you care enough, you may want to consider writing to them and/or calling.

• Like 3

So I called eBay for a dumb buyer issue, and brought up the new free listing policy and shared my honest feedback while I was on the call.

The customer service person documented my feedback and said she would be forwarding to management. She also encouraged me to write to eBay directly, using a feedback link on their site. In addition, she also mentioned they have been getting a lot of negative feedback since yesterday, and the more people call in and write, the greater the likelihood of any modifications to the upcoming policy change, maybe a middle ground resolution.

I was just stating my opinion as a matter of course. I didn't even *demand* a change and I was calm, professional, and collegial the entire time. :D

Point is, if you care enough, you may want to consider writing to them and/or calling.

That's nice but I can guess where all the feedback is going to be filed. Right in the recycling bin.

Sent from my iPad using Brickpicker

Not making that assumption at all. It's still $15 per month....if it's the same item relisting itself (ie with a "good till cancelled) or a new item that is replacing one that sold. It is still just $15 per month that Ebay is giving us. (or in this case, no longer giving us).

Look...I hate many of Ebay's policies too. No negatvie feedback for buyers, stupid "expected arrival dates" and high fees. This might make me rethink if I get a store or not, but certainly not rethink my investment strategy. Question: Is there any benefit to having a store that we may not have already thought of? Like maybe increased exposure in the search engine?

You said in your previous post that if someone used all of their 50 free then they must be generating significant revenue. This is the assumption you were making. If someone uses 50 but only sells 2-3 items then that might not justify paying $16-20 a month for a store. I understand what you are saying and I agree. It's not going to change what I do. I will either pay for a store or pay for the listings. My point is that I am cheap and I hate paying for something that I was getting for free before. Life goes on.

Sent from my iPad using Brickpicker

• Like 1