No more free listings?

Cetona

I've never paid for a listing fee before.  My assumption is that is the price paid to list the item, but reading some posts it sounds like it is only charged when you sell the item.  If it is only when I sell the item, then it isn't going to be as big of an impact to me.  If it's to list the item (as I assume) then it's a much bigger deal. 

I also, as was already mentioned, wonder about what items that auto-relist will do.  I'll likely make sure all of my items are canceled before 5/15.  Sigh.

From reading the verbiage included with the e-mail, and on the corresponding eBay link, it's "insertion fees," so regardless of whether an item sells or not, looks like we're going to have to pay up-front.

This is such a bummer for me too. Very casual, small-time, don't need a store.

So apparently we can still use the 'Buy It Now' option along with auctions, but the major problem I have with this is: Will they extend the duration of auctions, or keep it at 7 days max? (For free, that is)  

When I first started selling on eBay a couple years ago, I followed the eBay 'research' and was only listing auction-style. It did nothing for me. Ever since I switched, I've only been using the 50 Buy It Now listings. So something's gotta give.

I guess the big takeaway for me is... RIP (almost) polybag and minifigure investments.

• Like 1

Guest betsy805

Im sorry but quick question, if i list my item with buy it now style but didnt sell it do i need to pay the 30 cents? Even i didn't sell my item?

Yes.  The .30 is the insertion fee, it has nothing to do with whether the item sells or not.

The current month promotion of 50 free auction or BIN listings lists 06/01/14 00:00:00 PDT as the end date/time.  With this new structure starting May 15th do you think the current promotion will go through the end of the month or the BIN's will need to be used by the 15th?

The current month promotion of 50 free auction or BIN listings lists 06/01/14 00:00:00 PDT as the end date/time. With this new structure starting May 15th do you think the current promotion will go through the end of the month or the BIN's will need to be used by the 15th?

That's my question as well. Seems odd for them to start this in the middle of the month. Why not start June 1?

Sent from my iPad using Brickpicker

You can add buy it now for free to your auction style listings, so it doesn't change that much does it? Set your starting bid equal to your buy it now price and you're good to go.

You can't do that. Starting auction price has to be 30% lower than the BIN price.

You can't do that. Starting auction price has to be 30% lower than the BIN price.

Shows how much I know.... I use fixed price 99% of the time.  This sucks.  Ebay must see a whole lot of fixed price listings going unsold.

Shows how much I know.... I use fixed price 99% of the time. This sucks. Ebay must see a whole lot of fixed price listings going unsold.

Me too. You can game the system a little by jacking up the shipping cost to get the overall amount collected closer to your target buy it now price but then it looks like you are over charging for shipping and I personally hate it when sellers do that. No win situation.

Me too. You can game the system a little by jacking up the shipping cost to get the overall amount collected closer to your target buy it now price but then it looks like you are over charging for shipping and I personally hate it when sellers do that. No win situation.

What do you do if you charge free shipping.

• Like 1

This really sucks, especially or small sellers like myself.... I maybe sell 1 item a month..... 

Guess I should be happy, since I make majority of money through Bricklink..... :)

From now on I will only use Ebay for high valued items especially Sets..... anything worth less than 20$ = no more selling there!

I think Bricklink might be happy for the change in the long run :D

This really sucks, especially or small sellers like myself.... I maybe sell 1 item a month..... 

Guess I should be happy, since I make majority of money through Bricklink..... :)

From now on I will only use Ebay for high valued items especially Sets..... anything worth less than 20$ = no more selling there!

I think Bricklink might be happy for the change in the long run :D

You will still get 50 free auction or fixed price listings per month.

This only impacts people who want to list between 51-200 items per month via buy it now or best offer, fishing for best prices.

Anything less you're still free, anything more you should probably get a store.

Mudcatsfan -- you will now only get 50 free fixed price style listings in certain categories while all categories will still get 50 auction style (and some categories will get up to 100 auction style).

You will still get 50 free auction or fixed price listings per month.

This only impacts people who want to list between 51-200 items per month via buy it now or best offer, fishing for best prices.

Anything less you're still free, anything more you should probably get a store.

As far as I understood their message it means all who sell under this category (or list whatever) will be given 50 free AUCTION listings not fixed price.

That's my question as well. Seems odd for them to start this in the middle of the month. Why not start June 1?

Desperate times call for desperate measures. As the sell thru rate continues to plummet and server costs skyrocket at ebay something has to give. 

I could not decide if this was eBay's plan all along (which was pretty ingenious and downright manipulative)  or not (most likely not :D).  They created an environment where most sellers would benefit with adjusting to free fixed price listings, then turned around and charged them for the service.

My advice would be to make sure you are listing under the correct category (to take advantage of that extra 50 free listings) and to double check the listing prices BEFORE you submit your listings. 

If you use ALL 50 of  your free listings a month...that's $15.  With that many listings you should be creating some significant revenue.  Are people actually thinking of changing their investing strategy for a few dollars?  If so than it seems to me that your model wasn't a very good one to begin with.

To put this in perspective I have sold all 9 of my Captain America Cycles on 1 free listing over the last 3 months.  That's a whopping .90 against $270 in revenue that I would have to pay.  Not saying I like it, but really, it is an immaterial amount.

If you are a "small time" investor with 10 listings that's $3.  Do we get all worked up if the price of gasoline goes up .05 per gallon?  The reality is that probably affects your investing profit/loss just as much.

• Like 2