10214 - Tower Bridge

M4x18

I've tried this and it can be a real pain for sets that don't have numbers.  It's easier for me to sort and generally know where the pieces are on the table.

I found it more challenging just think if there were no instructions & the bags weren't numbered that would be insane

The difference between now and when i was a kid is that back then i never needed an exact piece because i hardly ever followed instructions and i had a that'll do attitude rather than being a perfectionist. That and the fact i had no problem pouring my lego all over the floor and crawling on my hands and knees searching for pieces i wanted.

Now I've got wooden floors, knackered knees and people who'd play hell  if my lego was all over the floor. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, citymorgue said:

Anyone else around that doesn't sort their pieces out?

With numbered bags I never felt the need to do any kind of presort. This may change when it comes to building the TB.

2 hours ago, marcandre said:

My wife also sorts them out. She keeps the house in order too so it makes sense. 

I'll need to keep building LEGO sets in mind as a way to test prospective spouses for housekeeping abilities. :jester:

Also, this may be slightly off-topic but I just received a Tower Bridge with 17S6 seals.

• Like 3

Looking at getting one of these to collect and build, but not sure which one is going to be more valuable once it retires.  So what does everyone think?  Which one is the better collector item?

Welcome to the site. Please take a moment and read some threads on this site...

• Like 2

Oh stop it guys... he's new.  The better "collector's item" would be the one most coveted by collectors, and (often) the rarest. If they were both to retire tomorrow, I'd say the SOH would be "rarer", because of it's higher price and shorter life.  Of course, if only the Tower Bridge were to retire tomorrow, then it instantly would become the rarer of the two, and would likely appreciate in value faster. The fact is, your question is more complicated than it sounds ... the most honest answer for you is probably, "It depends."  Beyond that,  all you will get are a bunch of opinions, and as dcdfan has encouraged you, you can find plenty of opinions on these two sets in their respective threads.

1 hour ago, Dwarre2 said:

Ok, thanks I will do some more looking on the forums. 

The baby picture cracked me up!  Well played 

There is a LOT of useful information on this forum, many interesting threads..., define your way to go. You will experience the value of this community is fantastic. There are a lot a members who are willing to provide advice and share thoughts. Enjoy!

By the way, I appreciate both sets...iconic landmarks. TB looks stunning but SOH intrigues me...can't describe it..

Welcome! My guess is OH because of pieces and price. I think it's a better overall set. No one will know for another 2-3 years which was better.

Wish you guys would show him a link instead of posting pictures and hey welcome to the world of Lego you're on your own!

Top right of site has search what they were getting at was to see if this topic has been brought up before. Type in key words and see if it's been talked about or other threads about it!

Awesome app/site! Once again welcome

It's also gotta be mentioned that the end value of any item is relative to the market you're selling it in. In 5 years time if both sets are retired and you're selling both in the UK, I'd guess the TB is going to be more popular. If you're selling down in Aus, I'd guess the SoH will net the bigger payout. If you're selling either in the US, it's anyone's guess! 

Moral of this message is keep your end-game target market in scope! 

• Like 1

As a collector, not an investor, I cannot provide info either way - however, it seems the appropriate question is 'why' someone would purchase one over the other.

Personally, I connect more with SOH instead of TB, because I've been to Sydney... in addition, SOH looks to me like a more interesting and challenging build... tough part is that SOH appears to be much more difficult to display due to footprint (width & depth) whereas TB is more 'shelf-like' material for display...

With all of my ramblings aside, I would choose SOH over TB with the much tougher choice of SOH vs Big Ben (greater visual impact over TB).

Bigger rhetorical question for you investors: what do you think your future customers would want, and what would they be willing to spend for it?

Guest brickcrazyhouse

My vote goes to TB.  smaller foot print when displaying. with Big Ben coming will pair nicely in oh 8-10 years :D

Guest TabbyBoy

If I didn't have the ones I have now, I'd not bother as you'll have to wait a long time get a decent return. Even though they are superb sets, they are as "unexclusive" as they get and I suspect are massively hoarded. I will be getting Big Ben but, to display not sell.

I guess we might know more about SOH when it's restocked in the lego store & possibly find out if TB is going to be retired when BB comes out. I read somewhere that lego tend to retire sets at the end of the year or when there's high demand for a particular set. I think that there run TB with BB until the end of the year then it's going to be retired. As for SOH who knows some say it's going lego will probably give it another year

• 2 weeks later...

Hoping to get some expert opinions: I've been offered an open box of this set for $150.  It supposedly has 28 bags, 3 books, 8 grey plates, and 4 blue plates.  I'll be checking when I see the set, but are the contents correct?  I've read that the set should have 5 blue plates, while I've read in other forums that there are 4 blue plates .  Can anyone advise what the correct count is?  Also, is $150 a fair price for an open box?  Thanks.