10214 - Tower Bridge

M4x18

6 minutes ago, Haay said:

I'm guessing that people who didn't get the TB yet and who really like the new Big Ben set are now buying the TB to match it with the upcoming BB set.

Maybe. But I think a more possible scenario is that because TLG announced BB, the hoard bets that TB might retire soon then starts hoarding aggressively.

• Like 3

Yeah that's the way i read this too. People building a Tower Bridge to tide them over until Big Ben comes out.  I'm having a similar inclination myself to pull a TB off the shelf to build. 

Of course there will also be the speculators thinking big ben = tb retirement and its time to grab them while they can.

Personally given the price point of Big Ben i think it makes tb look like bad value for money in comparison so will be interesting to see if the interest remains when Big Ben has been released. 

32 minutes ago, Fenix_2k1 said:

Personally given the price point of Big Ben i think it makes tb look like bad value for money in comparison so will be interesting to see if the interest remains when Big Ben has been released. 

Well, that's maybe only true for the UK, where Big Ben is having an exceptional low price-point:

TB: £209.99 / $239.99 / 219.99€

BB:  £169.99 / $249.99 / 219.99€

In Germany, they're the same price, and in the USA the Big Ben is even slightly more expensive than the TB. So with a higher brick-count of TB, the 'value for money' would still be on the TB.

Edited by Haay

Yeah that's the way i read this too. People building a Tower Bridge to tide them over until Big Ben comes out.  I'm having a similar inclination myself to pull a TB off the shelf to build. 

Of course there will also be the speculators thinking big ben = tb retirement and its time to grab them while they can.

TB has been out forever....it's certainly hoarded beyond "normal". I want to crack the seals and build one, I think it's going to be a very long time before any profits can be realized.

I wouldn't necessarily count on everything being "brickpickers" and "investors" swooping in and grabbing everything up.  In this case, it could very much be AFOLs and collectors that have neglected the Tower Bridge for some time, then they saw the Big Ben press release, and felt they better move before it is gone. 

Personally, I haven't bought a tower bridge, but the collector exclusives have become one of those things that have struck my interest over the last few years, and I'm thinking about grabbing one just to have it in my collection.  I'm probably not the only one thinking along those lines.

22 minutes ago, fossilrock said:

I wouldn't necessarily count on everything being "brickpickers" and "investors" swooping in and grabbing everything up.  In this case, it could very much be AFOLs and collectors that have neglected the Tower Bridge for some time, then they saw the Big Ben press release, and felt they better move before it is gone. 

Personally, I haven't bought a tower bridge, but the collector exclusives have become one of those things that have struck my interest over the last few years, and I'm thinking about grabbing one just to have it in my collection.  I'm probably not the only one thinking along those lines.

The new 5 limit in EU may also be a factor. What it does suggest is that it could stay in production if demand stays strong, for whatever the reaon may be.

28 minutes ago, fossilrock said:

No matter what kind of LEGO you collect, the TB doesn't disappoint once it's built. If you've ever seen the real TB, the set is even that much more fantastic.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Haay said:

I'm guessing that people who didn't get the TB yet and who really like the new Big Ben set are now buying the TB to match it with the upcoming BB set.

Yep, just have to read around on some non-investing Lego forums and it's pretty clear this is what's happening. People want TB because they like BB so much and they are afraid it will retire soon and they'll miss out on their chance to own the pair.

• Like 1

On 5/23/2016 at 9:00 AM, gregpj said:

No matter what kind of LEGO you collect, the TB doesn't disappoint once it's built. If you've ever seen the real TB, the set is even that much more fantastic.

Yes, indeed. I love it a lot but it did take up a lot of space to display!

And see how exclusive BB is. It even got 3 'exclusives' tags!!! lol

bb.png

On 5/23/2016 at 2:14 PM, Haay said:

Well, that's maybe only true for the UK, where Big Ben is having an exceptional low price-point:

TB: £209.99 / $239.99 / 219.99€

BB:  £169.99 / $249.99 / 219.99€

In Germany, they're the same price, and in the USA the Big Ben is even slightly more expensive than the TB. So with a higher brick-count of TB, the 'value for money' would still be on the TB.

I think LEGO wants to use Big Ben as an entry drug to gather new LEGO fans in the UK, by expecting that patriotic not-yet LEGO fans may be converted.

8 minutes ago, inversion said:

I think LEGO wants to use Big Ben as an entry drug to gather new LEGO fans in the UK, by expecting that patriotic not-yet LEGO fans may be converted.

I think it's an apology for putting a Second Hand on the clock face of the Architecture Series version of Big Ben.

With the announcement of a new flagship in the heart of London that will also serve as a tourist attraction I honestly can't see them retiring TB anytime soon. They'll have this and Big Ben on show and will look to sell these to the visiting tourists who will be looking for mementos of their visit

6 minutes ago, LahH001 said:

With the announcement of a new flagship store in London, in the heart of London that will also serve as a tourist attraction I honestly can't see them retiring TB anytime soon. They'll have this and Big Ben on show and will look to sell these to the visiting tourists who will be looking for mementos of their visit

(not completely disagreeing...)

I've traveled around a lot. These two are monstrous and honestly I feel reluctant bringing these home if I were there... Even my sister is in London now, I don't want to bother her to bring any of these home for me. Not sure how others feel about their size and weight though. They may want to bring these or may want something lighter/smaller (and they can bring more) home. I feel an Arch-size TB or BB will probably sell better/easier souvenir-wise. Just my two cents.

Edited by cissi

7 minutes ago, LahH001 said:

With the announcement of a new flagship in the heart of London that will also serve as a tourist attraction I honestly can't see them retiring TB anytime soon. They'll have this and Big Ben on show and will look to sell these to the visiting tourists who will be looking for mementos of their visit

Not too sure about the attraction to tourist considering the size and weigh. It won't even go in as carry one luggage and will have to be checked in. 

Perhaps the architecture series like Big Ben, or if they come out with a TB, will be a more popular seller

1 minute ago, Miami Bomb Squad said:

Lego is going to retire the TB.
Can't see why there will be 2 big landmarks from the same Country, no less the same City.

Because one sells well and the other just got released? TB will retire, no idea when that will be though.

Not too sure about the attraction to tourist considering the size and weigh. It won't even go in as carry one luggage and will have to be checked in. 

Perhaps the architecture series like Big Ben, or if they come out with a TB, will be a more popular seller

I'm sure they'll have a delivery service that will ship anywhere in the world from one of their regional distribution centres. Anyway the local population of London will be able to more than absorb another store (currently have two) The fact that TB and Big Ben were mentioned in the press releases as something to pick up, just adds weight. I think SOH is more likely to go and it is currently TOOS and it doesn't have an updated box. Cue the hoard to make a beeline to their local TRU to clear the shelves of SOHs!