***Introducing Private Groups***

Jeff and I were thinking about a feature in which members would pay other members for advice.

Sent from my iPad using Brickpicker

Next thing you know you'll need to get a license to dispense Lego investing advice. Glen Beck will stop pushing gold and switch to Lego, there will be hour long infomercials at 3am showing happy people at some water front house talking about how they made their fortune in Lego and you can too if you buy this system for 5 easy payments of $199.99.

Next thing you know you'll need to get a license to dispense Lego investing advice. Glen Beck will stop pushing gold and switch to Lego, there will be hour long infomercials at 3am showing happy people at some water front house talking about how they made their fortune in Lego and you can too if you buy this system for 5 easy payments of $199.99.

You can kid all you want but when money is involved, people are paid tidy sums for their advice. Why should LEGO reselling be any different? We are just brainstorming here but what would some inexperienced investor pay for a solid a LEGO investment strategy?

Sent from my iPhone using Brickpicker

Overall this section was created as a trial for:

• People that want to go into their own area and spew whatever garbage they want because they know we don't want it on the main forum
  • People that are paranoid that Lego is watching them and want to change their username.
  • People that think they have massive secrets and don't want to share
  • People that feel that don't want to deal with noobs (even though they were once a noob)
  • I am sure there is more we can add to this list

As of this exact moment there are 0 people using it and it doesn't bother me at all.  I just don't want to hear about it later if it gets removed from the site.  If people think this feature should be free, sorry. Everyone is lucky that Ed is a nice guy.  My original setup was for 500 Brickpoints to start and 10 a post.  He talked me off the ledge.  Bottom line, Ed and I try to cater to everyone.  We have no fear in trying something new.  If it works, great, then there is something here for everyone.  If it doesn't.  Then it goes. 

I am happy for you bringing new stuff to the site, however I am not using it since I feel its of no use to the ''average'' Joe out here.....

To me overall this attempt feels like making elitist groups who will group up and ''hide'' their discussions....

And there is absolutely no need for it since if i seen correctly, you can already have multi participant private message discussion.....

Jeff and I were thinking about a feature in which members would pay other members for advice.

In my humble opinion this is a great option/idea, however I would limit it to paying with Brickpoints and nothing else.... 

You can kid all you want but when money is involved, people are paid tidy sums for their advice. Why should LEGO reselling be any different? We are just brainstorming here but what would some inexperienced investor pay for a solid a LEGO investment strategy?

What is stopping someone from copying one of emazers' post, put a few punctuations, and 'resell' it to unsuspecting chumps ?

I am happy for you bringing new stuff to the site, however I am not using it since I feel its of no use to the ''average'' Joe out here.....

To me overall this attempt feels like making elitist groups who will group up and ''hide'' their discussions....

And there is absolutely no need for it since if i seen correctly, you can already have multi participant private message discussion.....

In my humble opinion this is a great option/idea, however I would limit it to paying with Brickpoints and nothing else.... 

The private forum can be used by friends or people living in similar regions, it doesn't have to be an elite group.  As for the "pay for LEGO advice idea," yes...BrickPoints was the method of payment we were thinking of.  

I guess my fear is who decides who is worthy of giving advice? What happens when bad advice is followed and money is lost? Seems like a huge can of worms at best and a liability issue at worst.

Look, if someone takes a second mortgage on their house and goes out and buys $100k in Lego and it tanks, that is their call.  We already have a disclaimer on this site. Whatever anyone on the site does with their money is their own responsibility.  

We have talked about different scenarios.  Both could work well.  Being helpful on the forum and showing people that you do know what are you talking about could come back to help you out in the long run.

It wouldn't surprise me if there are people already compiling a book, video or investment strategy to cash in and inform the world of the money making prospects that could potentially flood and destroy the market as we know it. I guess it's inevitable it will happen sooner or later

What is stopping someone from copying one of emazers' post, put a few punctuations, and 'resell' it to unsuspecting chumps ?

People would have to request another member give them advice and that member would have to agree to it.  It would be a PM sort of thing and Jeff would have to develop a working app.  Members could advertise their "rates" for advice.  Like I said, we were just kicking around the idea, but for some knowledgeable members, it could be a situation where they can benefit and other inexperienced members can as well.

It wouldn't surprise me if there are people already compiling a book, video or investment strategy to cash in and inform the world of the money making prospects that could potentially flood and destroy the market as we know it. I guess it's inevitable it will happen sooner or later

Yes, the BrickPicker book and video will be released shortly.   :thumbsup:

There are people on this site with all different strengths.  Some are fantastic at identifying parts, some are minifigure gurus.  Others are very knowledgeable about dealing with the different marketplaces.  A lot of this will feed into the classifieds and other future ideas.   Why not allow people have the a chance at using their knowledge to help fund their online marketplace or for those that don't care to buy and sell but know a lot, they can get a set off the brickpoints store ?  As Ed and I have said in the past.  Whether you use these features or not, that is your choice.  A website needs to grow and reinvent itself. We are trying to bring something new to the plate.  

Ed is almost done with it.  It's one page and says "Buy low, sell high"  He just needs to do some proof reading and spell checking.

Second page says, "Buy what you like!"

Edited by Jeff Mack
Ed is putting a lot of overtime into this baby now

The private forum can be used by friends or people living in similar regions, it doesn't have to be an elite group.  As for the "pay for LEGO advice idea," yes...BrickPoints was the method of payment we were thinking of.  

Yes I fully understand all the various things it can be used for, but the point is, what is there so different that cannot be achieved via multi participant private messaging?

Yes I fully understand all the various things it can be used for, but the point is, what is there so different that cannot be achieved via multi participant private messaging?

Simplicity.  Having all your friends and connections on the same page.  I am not really trying to promote the private forums.  They are here if you want them.  We try to give members some options.  Onto the next feature.  Jeff has been rewriting the entire code of the site to make it work with the new Daily Deals, Classifieds, Blogs and Brickpoints.  I get to see his updates on weekends when we work together and the new stuff looks great.  He has been working real hard to bring a lot more stores(non-US) and their deals to the site as well.  

Simplicity.  Having all your friends and connections on the same page.  I am not really trying to promote the private forums.  They are here if you want them.  We try to give members some options.  Onto the next feature.  Jeff has been rewriting the entire code of the site to make it work with the new Daily Deals, Classifieds, Blogs and Brickpoints.  I get to see his updates on weekends when we work together and the new stuff looks great.  He has been working real hard to bring a lot more stores(non-US) and their deals to the site as well.  

Does not belong here probably, but is there a possibility for a feature where I can choose a country and it lists the stores that ship to that destination? Because if you consider non-US stores as well, this would be a killer for me and others.

Does not belong here probably, but is there a possibility for a feature where I can choose a country and it lists the stores that ship to that destination? Because if you consider non-US stores as well, this would be a killer for me and others.

Jeff has a whole new template for the Daily Deals and other parts of the site that is designed to cater to the member's local retailers.  He has reached out to many new retailers and you will see it in action soon.  

Jeff has a whole new template for the Daily Deals and other parts of the site that is designed to cater to the member's local retailers.  He has reached out to many new retailers and you will see it in action soon.  

Here is the topic, if I'm not mistaking.

http://community.brickpicker.com/topic/9304-looking-for-non-us-lego-online-retailers/

• Like 1