***Introducing Private Groups***

We are going to try a new feature of allowing members to create Private Groups.  These will be areas of the forum that do not show up at all unless you are part of that group.  These areas will be for those of you that would like to discuss or comment on topics in a more intimate atmosphere without feedback from the general public.  We realize everyone has different techniques and views of the LEGO investing world, some that may not agree with the masses and then that creates issues and tons of deleted posts. The private forums will be for those types of topics. Overall they will not be moderated. Ed and I will be the only ones outside of the invited members that can view any of these areas.  We will make it known now that we do have the authority to remove any content that we feel is not appropriate or damaging to the site.

Anyone can create a new private group and invite as many members as they wish into that group.  We have put a fee of 250 Brickpoints to create each group.   Every post in these private groups will cost you 5 Brickpoints each.  While Brickpoints have not been a big focus or hidden lately, I can assure you that they will become much more of a focus in the upcoming and future updates.

Groups need to be approved by an admin.  If it does not get approved in a short period of time, please send me a PM.  For each new group, I just need to set some quick permissions to make sure it shows up for all invited members after its created.

You can have a little fun with your group.  Give it a name, add a logo and some background graphics.  It has all the features of the forum, so nothing is different there.  It has its own home page area to see who is part of the group and latest posts.  If this works out well, we will solicit feedback and enhance it.  Please let us know if you have any questions.

CREATE A NEW GROUP NOW!

2014-04-18_10-06-04.png

• Like 1

I think this is a good option for some of members on here that like are worried about those spying eyes watching you.  It's also good for the members that like to spew out a bunch of garbage and pollute the forum. I will be interested to find out later how many groups do get created over time.  Maybe we will never find out.

• Like 1

maybe you should clarify also how brickpoints are acquired

http://community.brickpicker.com/topic/5320-enhance-the-brickpicker-database-and-earn-brickpoints/

http://community.brickpicker.com/topic/8631-how-to-earn-brickpoints/?hl=brickpoints

http://community.brickpicker.com/topic/5634-how-do-i-start-earning-brickpoints/?hl=brickpoints

Overall its:

• 5 Points - Create a New Forum Topic
  • 1 Point for each forum post
  • 1 Point for blog comments
  • Points for doing reviews, blogs (this is a big way to earn points)
  • Points for updating the price guide database
  • Like 1

Will there be away to see a list and a description of the groups?  There may be members that are not invited to join a group but would like to request admittance.

At the moment, it will be completely anonymous until we see what actually goes on with it and get feedback.

I am unsure about the concept, but "charging" for posting seems a little counter productive. Doing this for opening a group seems fine though.

I think you are missing the point.  This is a "special" feature that only benefits those individuals that are involved. Ed and I are not huge fans of the private forum, but we think that there may be a place for it.  If no one uses it, I won't lose any sleep honestly.  It is there because members have brought it up to us.  There are those who may want to post and talk with people but not on the main forum.  You are paying for use of a special feature, one that only you and your group gain from.  I guess we can charge a monthly cash fee instead?

• Like 1

Certainly not a bad idea. I don't know how much I will use it, but mostly I think that some of the people who waste posts complaining about other people wasting posts will enjoy that just a bit more. As really that is what is wearing on me more than the random chatter.

And spending brickpoints is good - as it will encourage people to earn more of them. Ha!

• Like 1

Certainly not a bad idea. I don't know how much I will use it, but mostly I think that some of the people who waste posts complaining about other people wasting posts will enjoy that just a bit more. As really that is what is wearing on me more than the random chatter.

And spending brickpoints is good - as it will encourage people to earn more of them. Ha!

I agree. Why does the random chatter really matter? So many of the topics are just the same stuff over and over when they are strictly on topic. And threads about retirement and such are mostly speculation anyway so what's the big deal?!

• Like 1

I like the idea but why should it cost brickpoints to create a group or even make post?

Why shouldn't it cost points?  Again, like I just said.  If you don't use it, fine with me. It is a feature that is there for those that would like to create a private group and talk amongst themselves.  That is all.  It is a unique feature that does not benefit the site or the community in any way.  The Brickpoints are there to make sure it doesn't get out of control.  Like I said, it's more or less a premium feature that only serves as a benefit to those involved.  The rest of the site gains nothing from it.

I like the idea but why should it cost brickpoints to create a group or even make post?

So you are "enforced" to post in the public forum...otherwise there is the risk that everybody will post only in their private forum....I think

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Brickpicker mobile app

I hope emazer will create a private topic about his investment strategies....and invites me!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Brickpicker mobile app

Just in case he does and doesn't invite you, don't feel bad. I'll sum up the topics for you now:

Current strategies - buy at least one SSD, DS, GE, PS per month until said sets are no longer available

2015 strategy - continue buying from the previous year's list plus add a few newer large sets like TB.

2016 strategy - more of the same. Maybe start mixing in EV.

FOR ALL YEARS - never exceed 200 transactions.

That's about it ?

• Like 7

Just in case he does and doesn't invite you, don't feel bad. I'll sum up the topics for you now:

Current strategies - buy at least one SSD, DS, GE, PS per month until said sets are no longer available

2015 strategy - continue buying from the previous year's list plus add a few newer large sets like TB.

That's about it

There are way too many punctuations in that paragraph for it to make sense :(

• Like 4

I agree. Why does the random chatter really matter? So many of the topics are just the same stuff over and over when they are strictly on topic. And threads about retirement and such are mostly speculation anyway so what's the big deal?!

Its not really that it should or shouldn't be there - its just always going to be on a site with new people joining all the time, especially in topics where people hang out in like Daily Deals and the retirement thread.

The point is, let Jeff/Ed and the moderators sort it out with site organization and features (like the new Daily Deals jeff mentioned) rather than going on and on about it and putting off new members by being A-holes to them because they didn't think to search for old topics or really think about forum etiquette.

That's about it

If you reveal all this information in one place, you will drive away new members.  Oh, you already did.

• Like 1

Let's cut to the chase...There is a whole group of members, both active posters and lurkers who do not want to share information with 20,000 members.  We have been asked numerous times about a "private" forum.  While Jeff and I do not want to segregate the forums, the people who will use this service are not sharing information now anyway, so there is no fear of losing valuable discussion to the private forums.  

Jeff and I feel this is a special option and that if members want special privileges, there has to be some cost...thus the BrickPoints fee.  Otherwise, every Tom, Dick and Harry will want their own special forum.  Remember one thing, this site is about LEGO and making money form LEGO bricks.  The site and information has been free for everyone, but as the site matures and more features are developed, there might be some fees associated with those extra services.  People make money from the information gathered on this site, so why can't the site prosper financially as well?

That being said, this is not about Jeff and I making money off of private forums.  For all we know, zero members will use this option and we really don't believe in the idea.  I will not participate in them, nor will Jeff.  But that doesn't mean that this feature is not valuable to someone else.  This is about giving every member a reason to come to this site and to spend some time here.  This is a feature that has been discussed many times and by charging a small fee, this gives some value to the feature  in our opinion.  99% of the site's members might not want to get involved, but 1% might use it everyday.  We will give it a try and make adjustments along the way...Thanks

• Like 1

Thanks for sharing. 

I have 2 questions: 

1/ is there an article on how BrickPOints work? I haven't been able to find a history of the points gained and spent for example. Would be great if you were to use the brickpoints more intensely, to explain how this works and allow people to track them. 

2/ on groups: I must agree that groups could be an interesting feature. This being said, as a newbie I would first need to get the opportunity to get into a group to be able to enjoy the exchanges. In general, there are a lot of repetitive comments that make following some posts a little tiresome. Having a focus group could be nice. But how would you visualize these groups? And how will they interact with the forums? 

Thanks for your views on this.

Thanks for sharing. 

I have 2 questions: 

1/ is there an article on how BrickPOints work? I haven't been able to find a history of the points gained and spent for example. Would be great if you were to use the brickpoints more intensely, to explain how this works and allow people to track them. 

2/ on groups: I must agree that groups could be an interesting feature. This being said, as a newbie I would first need to get the opportunity to get into a group to be able to enjoy the exchanges. In general, there are a lot of repetitive comments that make following some posts a little tiresome. Having a focus group could be nice. But how would you visualize these groups? And how will they interact with the forums? 

Thanks for your views on this.

1.  The links I posted earlier will lead you to topics that explain how to get Brickpoints.  Also like I stated earlier there will be an update to the site coming that will put Brickpoints/logs into clear view

2. As the groups are invite only, the main thing is to make yourself a valuable member in the public forums so that people notice you and invite you to join groups.  If you do nothing but joke around and show no value, then the chances of you being invited to join groups will be much lower.