FIFA WC BRAZIL 2014

Bold-Arrow

so no games today....not cooooooool.

Anyone predicting any upsets in the round of 16?

-USA has an ok chance of overtaking Belgium

-Hoping Costa Rica will keep on going

-Mexico cant be overlooked either  

I have a couple I am mulling.

I think the US team has grown. Klinsmann has done an incredible job and the people worrying about what he says, etc. need to shut up IMO. His only thing I have a problem with was not bringing Landon Donovan. Otherwise, he has done great. Regardless of the points or outcome, the US looks dangerous. 

And his gameplan yesterday was fine. The rain created more problems for it and not having Jozy, but group stage soccer is somewhat a chess match. He could have pushed people forward but instead he played a defensive gameplan with counter attack (you could see the wingers moving up the sides super fast when the US stopped shots). You would have liked more chances, but at this stage it was the smart thing to do. The people saying "They threw it in and played for a tie" need to understand, the way they played was smart. Why push forward and take a chance at Germany ripping you up. Save it for when you hopefully get a rematch with them :)

As for next round:

1. US over Belgium : Belgium is super young and I think you see a new experienced US team here. I think they find a way to get it done.

2. Brazil over Chile : This is going to be super and really close as these two are rivals, but the home crowd pushes them ahead

3. France over Nigeria:  France continues their under teh radar run with a big win (maybe 3 from the super Benzema)

4. Germany over Algeria: I think this one could be too close for comfort as Germany might relax just a bit looking at the opponent. But in the end, too good.

5. Netherlands over Mexico: Just too strong

6. Colombia over Uruguay: I think Columbia pulls the mild upset. They have a super set of strikers in the front.

7. Costa Rica over Greece: I think this train keeps rolling

8. Switzerland over Argentina: I am probably wrong here, but I really think the Swiss have a nice attack and Argentina is playing a really weird formation that has at times looked very susceptible to an attack. Messi has been brilliant, but is he enough?

As for next round:

1. US over Belgium : Belgium is super young and I think you see a new experienced US team here. I think they find a way to get it done.

2. Brazil over Chile : This is going to be super and really close as these two are rivals, but the home crowd pushes them ahead

3. France over Nigeria:  France continues their under teh radar run with a big win (maybe 3 from the super Benzema)

4. Germany over Algeria: I think this one could be too close for comfort as Germany might relax just a bit looking at the opponent. But in the end, too good.

5. Netherlands over Mexico: Just too strong

6. Colombia over Uruguay: I think Columbia pulls the mild upset. They have a super set of strikers in the front.

7. Costa Rica over Greece: I think this train keeps rolling

8. Switzerland over Argentina: I am probably wrong here, but I really think the Swiss have a nice attack and Argentina is playing a really weird formation that has at times looked very susceptible to an attack. Messi has been brilliant, but is he enough?

I agree with everything except Netherlands vs Mexico..... I just dont see netherlands having an easy job..... This match is most likely going to be just as close as Brazil vs Chile..... unless something like Germany vs Portugal type of red card happens ofc......

Today my predictions are

Brasil vs Chile = relatively high scoring match, probably 2,5+ goals...

Colombia vs Uruguay = expecting Colombia to win but to be sure i predict Colombia or draw

Cannot wait for the matches!

I see Brazil and Columbia making it to the quarterfinals 

That was a good game right there! Boy, if Brazil would have lost that game.........riots in the streets!!

Yeah I thought "wow, will favelas be on fire ? People firing everywhere, cops shooting with real bullets, etc." but on second thought it would have been like any another day.

• Like 1

Anyone else hate Penalties? I really just don't like them at all. Soccer is a team sport and the penalty kick is unfair to a goal keeper and puts all the pressure on one player.

Even though 2 other Chile players were denied, that guy will be the one remembered even though his was a better shot - do it 100 times again and it would go a different direction.

I wish they did something awesome: Like 3 on 2 Attack starting at midfield, or at least what Hockey does with a running start type thing. break away would be awesome to watch, would it not?

What a goal for Columbia ..

Exciting first game. Both teams deserved to win .

VibrantJitteryAmericanriverotter.gif

For those who missed it!!!

Amazing.... best goal of the tournament so far in my opinion!

Anyone else hate Penalties? I really just don't like them at all. Soccer is a team sport and the penalty kick is unfair to a goal keeper and puts all the pressure on one player.

Even though 2 other Chile players were denied, that guy will be the one remembered even though his was a better shot - do it 100 times again and it would go a different direction.

I wish they did something awesome: Like 3 on 2 Attack starting at midfield, or at least what Hockey does with a running start type thing. break away would be awesome to watch, would it not?

While I could generally agree with you to an extent, Chile have only themselves to blame they got to penalties.... that woodwork in 120th minute from Chile was their goal.... and it did not go, so they lost... logical!