10218 - Pet Shop

legoaddiction

When will 10218 Pet Shop become permanently unavailable at retail?  

466 members have voted

1. 1. When will 10218 Pet Shop become permanently unavailable at retail?

Guest TabbyBoy
22 minutes ago, labfreak7 said:

Honestly, this set is probably the most hoarded of all the recent modulars. I'd stay away unless you want one for your personal collection. The value will most likely hover around retail even months after official retirement.

I think the Palace Cinema will be hoarded more as it's a corner building and more "loved" by the horde therefore I won't be buying any for that reason. I believe that the Grand Emporium was the last modular worth buying. Assemby Square will be the next but, ONLY if it's 100% exclusive to LEGO which it probably won't be. Because I'm in the middle of bailing, my Pet Shops will be sold as soon as I recover RRP after fees.

1 minute ago, TabbyBoy said:

I think the Palace Cinema will be hoarded more as it's a corner building and more "loved" by the horde therefore I won't be buying any for that reason. I believe that the Grand Emporium was the last modular worth buying. Assemby Square will be the next but, ONLY if it's 100% exclusive to LEGO which it probably won't be. Because I'm in the middle of bailing, my Pet Shops will be sold as soon as I recover RRP after fees.

I respectfully disagree.  The Pet Shop was a great "filler" set for anyone who made a Modular block.  It fit.  It blended well.  Palace Cinema is a wonderful set, that doesn't fit IMO.  Looks like it doesn't belong.  

• Like 4

Guest TabbyBoy
16 minutes ago, Ed Mack said:

I respectfully disagree.  The Pet Shop was a great "filler" set for anyone who made a Modular block.  It fit.  It blended well.  Palace Cinema is a wonderful set, that doesn't fit IMO.  Looks like it doesn't belong.  

We can't agree on everything as we'd all be hoarding the same sets, right? My best purchases have been made when "thinking outside the box" ;-)

I still think that at all the modulars are superb sets and I'm always going to keep one of each.

54 minutes ago, Ed Mack said:

Lego could have went with a more small town looking theater to look similar with other modular kits  but it looks more like a certain famous Chinese theater in California.  The limo design is horrible too. I would have rather seen a modern limo like in the VIP  Airport Service. 

I think the only movement in price we will see in after market for Pet Shop is in 10 years when Lego re-releases it. I'm treating Pet Shop like it's the bubonic  plaque.

1 hour ago, TabbyBoy said:

My favorite current modular is PC. GE was my favorite when it was available. I don't like the PS at all but that doesn't mean I don't have any, of course.

2 hours ago, dcdfan said:

My favorite current modular is PC. GE was my favorite when it was available. I don't like the PS at all but that doesn't mean I don't have any, of course.

Personally I find the Parisian Restaurant the most beautifully and strongly designed Modular. It is a cohesive design, with excellent details both inside and outside. 

As a movies-fan I like the PC theme (cinema) but am not 100% sold on the execution of the design. It has some downsides that reduce overall attractiveness. 

Like many have said here, and multiple times too, PS is one of a kind in that you can have multiple of the housing side in a street and it will look great. It's a great selling point of the PS set. :) 

• Like 3

I think all the modulars have their own merits and uniqueness make for a really nice display. Investment wise, PC, PS, even GE were well stocked by resellers. I know I have multiples of each. For that reason growth will be slow after retirement. Doesn't mean they are not nice sets, just too many out there.

Currently there are 193 GE on eBay. Trending price is hovering around 100 over msrp. Many more are in storage waiting to be listed. We saw similar growth with FB, as that one is a stellar set, but was massively hoarded too, and that was before things started to decline. Modulars for investment are a bad choice right now.
  • Like 2

On ‎12‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 8:05 PM, labfreak7 said:

I think all the modulars have their own merits and uniqueness make for a really nice display. Investment wise, PC, PS, even GE were well stocked by resellers. I know I have multiples of each. For that reason growth will be slow after retirement. Doesn't mean they are not nice sets, just too many out there.

Currently there are 193 GE on eBay. Trending price is hovering around 100 over msrp. Many more are in storage waiting to be listed. We saw similar growth with FB, as that one is a stellar set, but was massively hoarded too, and that was before things started to decline. Modulars for investment are a bad choice right now.

I see 129 results on eBay for new GE.  There are two around $265, but after that they jump very quickly to $285 - $295 shipped.  Not amazing, and I sold all mine at a slightly higher price last year, but it's certainly not the sort of disaster people seem to be expecting from Pet Shop.  Incidentally, I don't think the number of sellers means much.  There are half as many sellers for Imperial Hotel (for example), and it's selling for less than 10% over MSRP.

4 hours ago, GhostDad said:

I see 129 results on eBay for new GE.  There are two around $265, but after that they jump very quickly to $285 - $295 shipped.  Not amazing, and I sold all mine at a slightly higher price last year, but it's certainly not the sort of disaster people seem to be expecting from Pet Shop.  Incidentally, I don't think the number of sellers means much.  There are half as many sellers for Imperial Hotel (for example), and it's selling for less than 10% over MSRP.

The important thing for sets like these are the number of early sales o genuine end users. Provided demand is strong, the QFLLWAHOE will eventually run out of stock and the price will rise, as we have seen before with GE and FB or 7965. Resellers may also dive in to get more if they feel there is profit in it.

If sales are not as good, then we can expect stagnation as no one is going be buying this at above RRP to resell.

2 hours ago, Val-E said:

The important thing for sets like these are the number of early sales o genuine end users. Provided demand is strong, the QFLLWAHOE will eventually run out of stock and the price will rise, as we have seen before with GE and FB or 7965. Resellers may also dive in to get more if they feel there is profit in it.

If sales are not as good, then we can expect stagnation as no one is going be buying this at above RRP to resell.

I do think people are more willing to pay above RRP for modulars, the question is how many AFOLs have not gotten this set yet / want another one and also how many new AFOLs we can expect.

There's just a lot of supply, so it might take quite a while until the price can increase.

A couple of guys in eastern Europe have warehouses full of retired sets and Pet Shop is no exception. Once the smalltime QFLLs run out of stock, I think the maximum price (in Europe) could be determined by these people for quite a long while.

For example:

http://www.bricklink.com/store/home.page?sID=735592&itemID=104005793#/shop?o={"invID":"104005793"}

Currently at 185€. However, I do expect them to increase the price steadily as stock dwindles.

Of course not everyone will order at these kinds of places, but the fact that they have so much stock makes me think there are other big players that have a bunch of stock left and are ready to put it up on ebay/amazon. This means they can keep up with the demand for a very long time.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, BrickLegacy said:

$200 FBM / Prime.  Not a bad start for the most hoarded set in Brickpicker history. 140+ sellers is gonna be a grind, tho.

It's basically $180 shipped on eBay, MISB in a decent box.  So I'm not exactly overwhelmed.  The number of sellers (143) doesn't seem too bad for a modular though.  I'm expecting PS to climb at least to ~$250 before plateauing.  Really rapid post-EOL bounces seem to mostly involve sets with a lot of post-EOL reseller buying, and that inevitably leads to crashes down the line (as with Arkham Asylum and Sea Cow).

• Like 1

It's basically $180 shipped on eBay, MISB in a decent box.  So I'm not exactly overwhelmed.  The number of sellers (143) doesn't seem too bad for a modular though.  I'm expecting PS to climb at least to ~$250 before plateauing.  Really rapid post-EOL bounces seem to mostly involve sets with a lot of post-EOL reseller buying, and that inevitably leads to crashes down the line (as with Arkham Asylum and Sea Cow).

I think Pet Shop is a special modular and will surprise everyone, regardless of hoarding. I don't compare it to AA, Sea Cow or even GE.