Does anyone here NOT build sets?

iahawks550

My 5 year old is in the dark ages soI haven't really built anything recently. the majority of my collection just sits unopened in the basement. I guess I should start referring to my collection as an investment!

How can your five year old already be in his dark ages? They should just be discovering and getting into lego at that age. I thought only teenagers and young adults experienced the dark age.

The last Lego sets I put together were in the early 80's (space sets).  I haven't opened any of the stuff I've bought over the last two years, and don't really have the desire to.

same here. But I will buy a VW camper van for myself. I guess this is the most appealing lego set at the moment, which can be displayed in every household and has the greatest amount of potential buyers.

How can your five year old already be in his dark ages? They should just be discovering and getting into lego at that age. I thought only teenagers and young adults experienced the dark age.

I would say she is burnt out on legos. She occasionally builds random things but she hasn't built any sets in awhile. She still plays with the minifigs though. We have an unfinished dolphin cruiser, haunted house, unexpected gathering, winter village cottage and cloud cuckoo palace. For the palace, she just took the unikitty pieces out and built her lol. She did build quite a few sets before she got burnt out though! The largest set was Helms Deep.

Ironically, I built my first set in months last night.  I have always enjoyed building, but got too wrapped up in selling recently.  Just for fun, I built Deadpool's helicopter from 6866.  I am kind of curious to switch out all the dark red pieces for black ones.  I think it would look pretty awesome in black!

Ironically, I built my first set in months last night. I have always enjoyed building, but got too wrapped up in selling recently. Just for fun, I built Deadpool's helicopter from 6866. I am kind of curious to switch out all the dark red pieces for black ones. I think it would look pretty awesome in black!

Good idea. There isn't much that doesn't look good in black.

I would say she is burnt out on legos. She occasionally builds random things but she hasn't built any sets in awhile. She still plays with the minifigs though. We have an unfinished dolphin cruiser, haunted house, unexpected gathering, winter village cottage and cloud cuckoo palace. For the palace, she just took the unikitty pieces out and built her lol. She did build quite a few sets before she got burnt out though! The largest set was Helms Deep.

Oh I see. Maybe she just isn't ready to be fully interested in them yet. As crazy as it may sound, not every kid loves lego (is this possible!?). I have a 7 year old son and a 6 year old daughter. My son has been building sets by himself since he was four (with a little help from dad of course, mainly with the stickers). He has loved them since day one, and has put together many large sets by himself, including the Death Star. My daughter on the other hand goes in spurts. She enjoys the friends sets, but she has a short attention span and can't hold interest long enough to complete a small-medium set in one sitting. It took us almost two weeks off and on to finish the dolphin cruiser together, but once we finished it she was hooked on it. Some kids like to build, and some kids just like to play with the completed set.

I love building sets, but don`t do it nearly as much as I used to. Occasionally I`ll pick up a set, here and there, and build it, and I`m looking to grab a Sea Cow and R2-D2 next x2VIP, but that`s really been the extent of it the last couple years. Mostly I just buy stuff to collect, then invest now, and like I said, the occasional build. Really need to do more of that  :resent:

I build a fair amount of sets, but i have so limited display spaces that i tend to "rotate" sets. Ones i have had for a few years i may get bored of, sell it, and then put something new and shiny in it's place :D

I do feel a bit guilty opening them though. I have no issues opening smaller sets for personal gain, but the bigger ones can be painful. Not only because they obviously cost more; but they have potential to be worth even more down the line.

Purchased a QAR a month or so ago at a decent price intending to build it but i haven't got around to it. The longer it sits the more guilty i feel thinking about opening it ><

I am 65 years old and never built a Lego set in my life.

Even someone with the timing and investment sense that you have must have a few ugly dogs in your kennel. Pick one, break the seals, build it, and display as a reminder that even with due diligence sometimes even the master will screw up. They really are fun.