9492 - TIE Fighter

Jeff Mack

A: 9462 at MSRP is a money maker NOW, so might as well scoop it up if its at a local toy store.

B: Vader's Tie was traditionally mentioned as the Tie Advance Prototype (and the Tie Advance basically was the same ship, in video games, other books, etc) so it's kind of weird to see a new design for something with established lore... That looks less cool, to boot.

A: 9462 at MSRP is a money maker NOW, so might as well scoop it up if its at a local toy store.

B: Vader's Tie was traditionally mentioned as the Tie Advance Prototype (and the Tie Advance basically was the same ship, in video games, other books, etc) so it's kind of weird to see a new design for something with established lore... That looks less cool, to boot.

I could be wrong, if Vader is in Rebels and he has a ship, it could be different than this.

So random that Pharmacies would have Legos...

yeah, like legos aren't addictive or anything.  so random.

its shocking they sell candy and cigarettes as well as alcohol at the mom and poppers.

i bought my last 10  of this set from shop at home at msrp.  i have 18 and am holding steady til we are at 3x msrp.

the only refresh i am afraid of and yet at the same time desire is a UCS tie fighter which would basically put a hole in cagr or severely limit 9492s roi.

much the same as  the larger ucs-ish xwing 10240 will constrain the smaller x-wing roi until the big xwing retires.

why would anyone pay $150 for the smaller x-wing (2x msrp) when you could get the much larger one for $50 more.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi anybody/everybody!  I'm a NOOB and I have a NOOB question:

I have the option to purchase one of these unopened for $70.  That is slightly below the price listed here, ~$80.  Does anyone have a feel for whether there is much more appreciation left for this set?  I think the movie next year will be a catalyst for the OT overall, but I wonder if this set is roughly topped out.

BTW, I'd only buy it as an investment, not to play with.

I have the option to purchase one of these unopened for $70.  That is slightly below the price listed here, ~$80.  Does anyone have a feel for whether there is much more appreciation left for this set?  I think the movie next year will be a catalyst for the OT overall, but I wonder if this set is roughly topped out.

Just my personal opinion: the time to buy as an investment is when you can get the set for RRP or less.  Buying EOL sets at 25%+ over RRP for "investment" should only be considered for the surest of sure things. I'd personally consider it for something like 10228 Haunted House but not for 9492 Tie Fighter.  On the other hand, if I wanted one for my personal collection I'd be happy to grab one for $70.

Ask yourself this: what set do you think presents the best opportunity for appreciation of your $70 investment?  If you are convinced that 9492 is the best opportunity then go for it.

• Like 1

If you wait long enough (year+), $70 will certainly make money, but it might not be a lot and would be hard to double initial investment. The set has a MSRP of $55 so it will most likely increase in value to at least $110-$120. But you need the set to reach $165 to double money assuming buyer pays shipping, which is 3x MSRP. So it very much depends how much you value your time at.

I'm sure at some point Lego will remake this set, but it should be a number of years. The TIE Fighter before this one came out in 2005

• Like 1

Buy it. One, it's a Tie Fighter (!!!),one of the 5 most iconic ships in all of Star Wars. Second, this is only the second remake and both prior versions were vastly inferior to this one. Third, it's going to feature heavily in the new Star Wars cartoon Rebels starting in less than a month which could jolt demand just in time for Christmas and before any Rebels version lego Tie Fighter is released. 

Buy it. One, it's a Tie Fighter (!!!),one of the 5 most iconic ships in all of Star Wars. Second, this is only the second remake and both prior versions were vastly inferior to this one. Third, it's going to feature heavily in the new Star Wars cartoon Rebels starting in less than a month which could jolt demand just in time for Christmas and before any Rebels version lego Tie Fighter is released. 

The Rebels Tie Prototype will be released early next year.

I have one that I found for 40 awhile back. It was one of those 'doubt it will do that well but I don't think I can lose at this price' kind of purchase.' It is oh so very sweet when these things pan out nicely :)

I hear you. I got 4 at that price and have sold 2 already at twice that. Only difference is I was expecting at least that much of a bump. But with a new Rebels version coming next year I'll be sure to sell my other 2 before then.

Only a few SW sets are instantly recognized by anyone, non SW fans included. TIE fighter ranks together with x wing, ISD and millennium falcon. Just look at the most popular micro fighter sets

Well, I agree, but... the tie-fighter does not exist in micro fighters sets...

(edit: only "tie-interceptor" and "tie-bomber")

Edited by biniou

• 1 month later...