9492 - TIE Fighter

Jeff Mack

I am starting to regret not stocking up on these at $35. I think I underestimated the quality of the set because it is a remake. But the older ones are crap. I don't think styrockets, but it makes it to $100 maybe.

I hope it gets to $100.  The cheapest I saw it was $24.50 each during 50% off clearance at KMart  mid-January 2013.

On a personal note, between a choice of this TIE Fighter or the X-Wing out at the same time, I easily gravitated towards the TIE Fighter. The X-Wing was a good redesign but, good grief, it's number what on the list of 'yet another X-Wing'? Plus the TIE Fighter has some exclusive characters and looked absolutely spot-on to the source. The X-Wing was also perfect but, again, another redesign of a redesign with only a single unique minifigure.

On a personal note, between a choice of this TIE Fighter or the X-Wing out at the same time, I easily gravitated towards the TIE Fighter. The X-Wing was a good redesign but, good grief, it's number what on the list of 'yet another X-Wing'? Plus the TIE Fighter has some exclusive characters and looked absolutely spot-on to the source. The X-Wing was also perfect but, again, another redesign of a redesign with only a single unique minifigure.

Yeah I don't see any reason the Xwing gets anywhere past $60. You can get most of the old Xwings for about the same price and this one is just not that much better than the older ones.

On the other hand, the Tie Fighter is easily the best one in the series. I looked over my collection today and realized I was irritated I only have one.

• 1 month later...

I can find some tie fighters still at little retailers. Should I buy some or not? I have only one of these.

Depends on the price. If they are still at retail, I wouldn't buy them. I would only buy them at a decent discount. There will probably be a remake of the TIE Fighter in 3-4 years, so there is limited time for the set to go up in value.

This is one I`ve wanted to grab but haven`t been able to locate for less than $45. Was probably available for cheaper, but if so I missed it. Tie Fighters will always do decently well because they are so iconic. Wonder if Epsiode 7 will feature any/or variations.

• 4 months later...

I think these are going to hit $100 free ship by Christmas.

I do agree. And it stands perfectly with the 9493 x-wing so it helps too. :)

X-wing vs tie-fighter, for people who remember this game !

x-wingtie-sm.jpg

It's not exclusive and certainly a new one will come before 2016/17 but I wouldn't be surprised to see its plateau at $100 (shipping excluded) in 2015, until the new Tie fighter comes.

Congrats to guys who got some at $25. :)

Everyone who grabbed a lot of these really lucked out with there not being a new one in this star wars wave.

I almost guarantee there will be a new one early next year. Get these out by Christmas. One I unfortunately missed out on because of my own dumbness.

Also, the Xwing could be huge this Christmas if it goes OOS before hand. There wont be a similar priced one on the market.

A store near me still has a few 9492 at RRP.

Worth picking up a couple?

They haven't exactly gone through the roof in EU since they went EOL, but I always figured they are such an iconic SW ship.

I got two a few months back in the hope of the new movie boosting the price. I hope they don't bring out another one in the meantime.

A store near me still has a few 9492 at RRP.

Worth picking up a couple?

They haven't exactly gone through the roof in EU since they went EOL, but I always figured they are such an iconic SW ship.

I got two a few months back in the hope of the new movie boosting the price. I hope they don't bring out another one in the meantime.

try to haggle and ask for discount if you buy more than one. Tell them it is an old set... bla bla bla

• Like 1

I doubt this set will be remade soon. The one that just went EOL is the only remake so far, with the previous one dating back to 2001. More likely, they decide to do compatible remakes of the Tie Bomber and Tie Interceptor, since the only previous versions of these also date back many years and were in that horrible blue and black colour scheme rather than the new and more authentic black and grey that we see in this set and the previous Darth Vader Tie Advanced and the Tie Defender. 

This is an iconic ship and any self-respecting fan has to have 3 Ties for each X-wing as it is standard for them to fly in wings of 3, as any fan of the movies and especially the combat sim games would know well.

Also, with the new movies set 30 years after Return of the Jedi, it is doubtful that the Ties will still be in use, certainly not in the exact same style as the one we all know and love. Which means any Tie released around the new movies will likely be based on any updated model (if any). 

I got 4 of these sets at $35 back in January and am looking forward to unloading at least 2 for Christmas for around $100.