9492 - TIE Fighter

Jeff Mack

This isn't the best deal but its not terrible. I remember target online had these at $35 at one point also.

Considering the original price point is $54.99, $40 is good and if I wanted another then sure. Plus those should be disappearing from stores very soon I would think.

• 5 months later...

I have had some TIE fighters that I got from a Kmart 50% clearance even almost a year ago. I stockpiled these and got them for roughly $20 after a discount I applied. I set the price on these for $50 and waited forever for Amazon to sell out at their lower $40 price point. After Amazon dropped their price to $34 I'm guessing they flew off the shelves because they went from Amazon sales rank of roughly 20,000ish to the #19 selling toy in all toys and the #6 selling toy in the toy category building sets. I only noticed this because I was shocked to see actual sales of these pending in my FBA.

If Amazon doesn't restock, this might be a good toy to flip for Christmas (at least on Amazon). I'm going to increase my price before my remaining few run out.

Or maybe they are smarter than you (us)---and don't need to worry about a lousy sawbuck.  People with money are usually lookling for convenience--not running around to filthy kmarts and walmarts trying to save a few bucks.  Lot easier to hit "buy" and receive the item on the porch 2 days later.  That's worth $10 to a lot of people. 

• Like 3

Or maybe they are smarter than than you---and don't need to worry about a lousy sawbuck.  People with money are usually lookling for convenience--not running around to filthy kmarts and walmarts trying to save a few bucks.  Lot easier to hit "buy" and receive the item on the porch 2 days later.  That's worth $10 to a lot of people.

That would be true if I didn't mention target.com having a cheaper price.

Or maybe they are smarter than you (us)---and don't need to worry about a lousy sawbuck.  People with money are usually lookling for convenience--not running around to filthy kmarts and walmarts trying to save a few bucks.  Lot easier to hit "buy" and receive the item on the porch 2 days later.  That's worth $10 to a lot of people. 

True.  You pay for convenience.

I have always found Amazon customer's loyalty odd. There are so many items that you can find from the actual retailer's website for much less, but Amazon customers are either lazy and won't shop around other websites or undyingly loyal.

Case in point, check out the Lego Kingdoms Chess set right now. You can currently pay full price on Lego.com at 49.99. Or you could buy it on Amazon from me for $80. Both are purchased online. Both come to your front door. Now if it was close to Xmas time, I could get using Amazon, as mine is guaranteed to be there in 2 days. But seriously? Just about any Exclusive lego set that Amazon doesn't sell itself currently (either they don't carry at all like the TRU and Walmart exclusives, or they are out of stock on) sells for vastly more than Lego.com has it for. And sells successfully at that.

Why can't we just be adults here. Some people who have money and don't have time for research find it easier to do a simple search on eBay or Amazon and just complete the transaction in less than three minutes.

We on the other hand would gladly go out of our ways to find items for cheap (for ourselves or to make $$) and that is all that matters.

BTW, I love the TIE Fighter build. I purchased during the BOGO 1/2 at B&****** and wish I picked up more. This set will shine when it retires.

Why can't we just be adults here. Some people who have money and don't have time for research find it easier to do a simple search on eBay or Amazon and just complete the transaction in less than three minutes.

We on the other hand would gladly go out of our ways to find items for cheap (for ourselves or to make $$) and that is all that matters.

BTW, I love the TIE Fighter build. I purchased during the BOGO 1/2 at B&****** and wish I picked up more. This set will shine when it retires.

So this being a serious remake, why do you think its going to shine? I feel like stuff  like this, y wing, xwing, etc are best to just stay away from. Curious the thought behind it.

I will say this is the best looking one by far - the older ones are all pretty clunky looking compared to this one.

So this being a serious remake, why do you think its going to shine? I feel like stuff  like this, y wing, xwing, etc are best to just stay away from. Curious the thought behind it.

I will say this is the best looking one by far - the older ones are all pretty clunky looking compared to this one.

I got a decent stockpile of these at 50% off or more, so I have trouble staying away from those deals.  If they get up to MSRP or 15% over that, I'll be selling.

Considering the age of the packaging style I think this set is meant to be an ongoing fixture of Lego and Star Wars.  It's an iconic and recognizable ship.

Side note.  I pay for convenience all the time.  I could hunt for deals on Ebay, but I save myself time, effort, and hassles buying through Amazon.  Time = money.

The Y-Wing, X-wing, etc have a lot of remakes because they are really iconic in the SW movies. With all these remakes, the values of the set are bound to go down. But at 50% off, you really cannot lose any money.

Mostly because it looks and feels more of the TIE fighter. I've seen the older set(s) and they do look a bit off. Maybe it is just me? Sorry, don't mean to come off as an expert or anything, just my opinion.

I once owned a painting company.  I paid my workers to paint my house.  My friends asked "Why would you pay someone to paint your house when you are a painter and own a painting company?"   Time, baby.  That was time I could spend with my family or work more.  Figure it out.  

Anyway, great answer.

Guest eightbrick

Mostly because it looks and feels more of the TIE fighter. I've seen the older set(s) and they do look a bit off. Maybe it is just me? Sorry, don't mean to come off as an expert or anything, just my opinion.

No it's not just you. For one thing, the old ones use blue instead of grey for some crazy reason... :frantics: I got one for 35 bucks last year from sears, that's it.

No not a bit - just always like to hear others viewpoints. I definitely discount sets I shouldn't. Looking at the sets, this one is way better than the others and the first that is truly recognizable.

I worry that Star wars has become too overloaded with sets though.

Mostly because it looks and feels more of the TIE fighter. I've seen the older set(s) and they do look a bit off.

This is why I bought two at Walmart last year for $34 each. It is the best rendition to date as well as the 1st actual redesign of the basic TIE Fighter in eleven years. The selection of minifigures are great too like the exclusive Death Star Trooper.

• 3 months later...

this is particularly sweet given the steam coming out of my wife's ears when a squadron of 10 tie fighters showed up unannounced delivered by the UPS guy up my drive with a handcard when his truck wouldn't make it during a blizzard in the berkshires yesterday :0  time to do a little jig.