Buyer said her son playing with LEGO and got rashes?

cissi

Cissi, I would agree with justafrog and get the crazy out of your hair ASAP. :)  Just by the way they shifted the story, you can tell they are not the people you want to deal with long term.  

There is a good chance they leave negative feedback whichever way you decide to approach this.  I would pick a way that costs less time and effort.  Plus, when you are being reasonable, there is less thing for the other side to complain about.  Just make sure you communicate via eBay email/case at all time.  There are ways to deal with the neg especially when you keep a clear head on all communications.

Oh and also put them on BBL to minimize future headaches

I hope it helps

When I list on EBay, and select " no returns" on my listing, when prompted by EBAY, it doesn't mean anything?. Justafrog (who seems pretty well versed with EBay) stated she believes EBay will force a return even though the item was delivered as described.

I think the most you can do (and Ebay standing behind you) is forcing buyer to pay return shipping if item is as described and he wants return....

Which is exactly what i have listed in my ''rules'' on Ebay for purchases....

When I list on EBay, and select " no returns" on my listing, when prompted by EBAY, it doesn't mean anything?. Justafrog (who seems pretty well versed with EBay) stated she believes EBay will force a return even though the item was delivered as described.

No return means nothing .. buyer can just claim item not described ( and your no return becomes moot). If the buyer wants a return/refund just do it. In the end buyer will always win.

Hmmm, thanks for all these, guys. These are very helpful for me to weigh my choices. Frankly I'm not worried getting a neg feedback or a case being filed. I'm also going to record the date and time I chatted with the eBay rep about it. But I think I may choose to let her return to avoid all the hassle dealing with a crazy. Good thing that I didn't leave her a good feedback yet. Any say about me giving her a neg feedback if she giving me one?

How about this:

"Hi, if you have any doubts about its authenticity. There's no worry. It's 100% authentic LEGO, purchased from Kmart. It has been stored on 2nd floor of a smoke-free/pet-free house. You can find all the product information on these big online retailers:
Please feel free to contact LEGO if you have any doubts they are not real.

I don't usually accept returns. But as a goodwill gesture, you may return the item for a full refund but the return shipping cost will be on you. The item was delivered to you in brand new condition. Please make sure ALL 405 LEGO pieces are returned in the new/slightly played condition. Again, I'm truly sorry that your son happens to be allergic to LEGO bricks. I hope a trip to the doctor will help diagnose the symptoms. Thanks."

Sound okay?

Hmmm, thanks for all these, guys. These are very helpful for me to weigh my choices. Frankly I'm not worried getting a neg feedback or a case being filed. I'm also going to record the date and time I chatted with the eBay rep about it. But I think I may choose to let her return to avoid all the hassle dealing with a crazy. Good thing that I didn't leave her a good feedback yet. Any say about me giving her a neg feedback if she giving me one?

How about this:

"Hi, if you have any doubts about its authenticity. There's no worry. It's 100% authentic LEGO, purchased from Kmart. I has been stored on 2nd floor of a smoke-free/pet-free house. You can find all the product information on these big online retailers:

LEGO site: http://creative.lego...ducts/6166.aspx

Amazon: http://www.amazon.co...words=lego 6166

Toys R Us: http://www.toysrus.com/buy/lego-bricks-more/lego-bricks-more-system-ultimate-building-set-6166-2629037

Please feel free to contact LEGO if you have any doubts they are not real.

I don't usually accept returns. But as a goodwill gesture, you may return the item for a full refund but the return shipping cost will be on you. The item was delivered to you in brand new condition. Please make sure ALL 405 LEGO pieces are returned in the new/slightly played condition. Again, I'm truly sorry that your son happens to be allergic to LEGO bricks. I hope a trip to the doctor will help diagnose the symptoms. Thanks."

Sound okay?

I'd remove your last comment and add refund will be given once item is returned in condition as stated above.

Also you cannot leave negative feedback or write negative comments on a positive feedback.

I'd remove your last comment and add refund will be given once item is returned in condition as stated above.

Also you cannot leave negative feedback or write negative comments on a positive feedback.

thx! lol I thought I play a bit sarcasm there. :P

I didn't leave her any feedback at the first place yet.

I see too many sellers letting their personal feeling get involved in the way of rational buiness decisions. So you , any seller, is right and they , the buyer is wrong, is wrong so what??? Sometime you just have to take the hit and carry on for the sake of your business. I'm not saying you have to fall for a scam or a scumbag trying to steal your money, but at times you need to swallow your pride and just let it go.

P.s : this is a side note , nothing to deal with the OP

• Like 1

I hear ya. It's hard not to say what you really want to.

Hopefully she doesn't send it back and checks herself into a mental hospital.

after all this, I may consider report her abusing eBay buyer protection. Anyway, I will update what comes up after she replies to my message and may need your guys' wisdom again! :D

I sold the 6166 Big Brick Box set not long ago and just got a message from a buyer who told me that her son playing with those LEGO bricks and got rashes. She included pictures in her message. The brick box I sent to her is brand new and therefore sealed. Has anyone heard about allergy to the LEGO bricks?

I'm arriving late to this party.  The whole rash claim is a ruse...that or the parent is the hyper sensitive type that thinks the world is out to harm her baby.  We are lucky enough to have a fantastic pediatric team for our kids and they issue a book that they've all co-authored to all their patients.  The idea is that it's your first reference and the closest to having the doctors within reach in your home.  What does this have to do with your LEGO sale?  Well, the book has a list of childhood basics that they don't want you to call in about and what do you think is at the top of that list?  You guessed it, Rashes.  Rashes are pretty much the most common and usually most harmless of childhood conditions.  There is no telling where her child got the rash or why unless it's analyzed in a lab and there is a path of infection that can be identified.  Even then, unless it's something crazy and very serious, which I doubt it is, it will simply go away.  I would challenge the claim that the child received a rash at all from the LEGO at all because there's really no way to prove it, try to cut out the falsity and get to the point of what the buyer is really after.

It's also suspect that it took 10 days for the rash to appear.  Again, assuming there is a rash at all, it's probably from a friend or maybe a mouse or their cat pee'd on the LEGO while they were at the store.  You know...it could be anything really.

Wait, you said you had photos...  I'm not asking you to post them, because I really don't think you should, but you can compare the photos yourself to known rashes online like Hand, Foot and Mouth or the like. 

I've beaten the rash thing too much maybe, I just think it's a serious accusation that a sealed item you sold caused a medical reaction/illness.  Really, if she wants to pursue this, because it was factory sealed she should be going after LEGO, not you.

Clicked into the conversation to read about the rash part but it looks like it is about best practices for returns/refunds.

So, the 6187 - Road Construction Set purchased new at TRU in 2009 gave my son (4 at the time) rashes. I couldn't believe it after my wife noticed it, but I could rub one of the pieces on his arm and within 5 minutes a rash in that area would appear. I called LEGO and they replaced the set and there were no further rashes with the replacement set. He has played with dozens of other sets since then with no other occurrences.

Quick update: When I rubbed the pieces on my arm, no rashes! I totally was/still am a bit skeptical about it due to how kids do have the strangest things happen to them, but something about that set made his skin get red bumps. Could have been the bags the pieces came in or the rubber elements had something as an irritant.

Clicked into the conversation to read about the rash part but it looks like it is about best practices for returns/refunds.

So, the 6187 - Road Construction Set purchased new at TRU in 2009 gave my son (4 at the time) rashes. I couldn't believe it after my wife noticed it, but I could rub one of the pieces on his arm and within 5 minutes a rash in that area would appear. I called LEGO and they replaced the set and there were no further rashes with the replacement set. He has played with dozens of other sets since then with no other occurrences.

She should really be contacting Lego with this.  If it is real, it is something to bring up with them, not the seller.

Edit: And she should probably speak with a pediatrician about it too...

You're saying that a Lego set gave you rashes. Wow! There might be some truth to that story, but I am still doubting it.

I would just take the hit.  In the big picture, you'll eventually make the money back.  The time spent trying to resolve this by writing back and forth and waiting on ebay will be a nightmare with a lot of wasted time and possible negative feedback.  Just give her the money back and hope that she will ship them back to you.  Who knows how far this mess can go.  Just make sure to adjust your ebay settings properly so that she can't buy from you anymore.  You have to consider that she is either stressed out about her son breaking out and looking for a target or she's financially stressed.  Don't try to save your investment by getting in the way of a concerned mom and her child.

I know it is ridiculous/insane to accuse LEGO bricks for her kid's rash. I did including in my message back to her encouraging her to contact LEGO if LEGO bricks do bring rashes to her kid. I didn't hear from her since replying to her this morning, about 4 hours ago.

I know it is ridiculous/insane to accuse LEGO bricks for her kid's rash. I did including in my message back to her encouraging her to contact LEGO if LEGO bricks do bring rashes to her kid. I didn't hear from her since replying to her this morning, about 4 hours ago.

Maybe she contacted Lego? Who knows. I hope this works out in your favor in the end.