What LEGO set(s) are you piecing together from bulk.

My best find yet... Was advertised as Lego Lot Grey 2 lbs.  Got it for $26 incl shipping.  Take a look at the pic, can you figure out which set?  There is only one and it was missing 13 pieces.  Five digit number ends in 178.  I had a battery pack and motor laying around and it all works great.

Prior to that was a lot of 25 lbs which had a UCS Yoda in it (missing about 18 pieces).  It had about 2 lbs of mega blocks in that lot but I'll take the Yoda any day.

Lego Lot Grey 2 lbs.jpg

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

This wasn't from bulk but I'm finally starting to go through it to verify it's all there and then build it. I bought it with a Rogue Shadow for $300 years ago.The applied stickers are toast and may be a pain to remove. I have a repop replacement set. The bricks are in great shape so far except for some  yellowing.  Instructions are fair to good I'd say...

20170921_140530_resized_1.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...

Just picked up 71 lbs of bulk. Counted over 350 minifigs, a bunch of old dinos, and a stack of manuals .Found zombie bride and groom, deadpool, adult Asoka Tano, Jabba, rancor, old Bossk...

Gentlemen was asking $750 and i talked him down to $400.  After I saw some of the figs and sets in there I gave him $500.

• Like 1

Sounds like a very nice buy overall, and it was a nice honorable gesture to go back up in price when you saw the value in the bin.

350 Minifigs is a pretty significant amount in a bulk buy, that's impressive!    At a lowly $1.50 each you'll have covered your cost and then some, and I'm sure you'll do better than that.

A bit of a shameless cross-post with the 'what did you buy today?' thread, but here is something that will be keeping me busy. Everything boxed here, plus lots of smaller sets without boxes, is mostly mixed together. A couple seem to have been separated, like the Black Pearl, but it's mostly a jumble. I actually have another bulk lot with a few old pirate sets (like Black Seas Barracuda) that I haven't even started on yet, but I could not refuse this for £100.

OUOQICw.jpg

• Like 5

• 5 months later...

Just finished this 9493 from a lot I purchased awhile back. It was started then left halfway through bag 3. Still had bags 4&5 unopened. So it's basically near mint built once. I didn't apply the rest of the stickers. Will leave those for the person that buys it.

20190408_132552.jpg

Edited by MarleyMoose

Does anyone have any "must check" list when inspecting bulk/used Legos?

For me; Checking for K'nex and Megablocks pieces are obvious along with yellowing, staining, and smell...a good sign is usually the dusty exposed side of a large plate (comes right off w/ a swifter duster btw)...probably sat on a shelf for years and untouched.  

How does one readily spot asian knock-offs mixed in? 

I have never come across cigarette smoke, but I once turned down a decent-but-not-great deal due to it looking like a dog had rolled around in the bin of parts and shed half of its body weight into the bin (wasn't visible in the online pictures, somehow). Some of the parts also seemed caked in dirt/dust, so maybe someone else found some treasures, but it wasn't worth it to me. 

When dealing with dirt or cigarette smoke there is a pretty simple and straight forward method.

1. Disassemble all sets.
2. Place bricks in garment bags. Dollar Tree sells them in packs of three for $1.
3. Let soak in warm soapy water. My wife loves Myers dish soap. I recommend it.
4. Remove bags from sink and put into a salad spinner. Spin the bag to remove most of the water.
5. Let bags air dry outside. Bricks should be clean and smell like new. Rubber parts like tires might take a longer soak.

Sent from my iPhone using Brickpicker Forum

One of the first bulk lots I bought was a bunch of modular buildings and my entire truck bed full of sets for $500 all smelled of smoke and had spilt soda on them. I washed them in vinegar took photos and listed what I did not want, took them apart and washed in vinegar again and had no more smell.

i washed the sets I kept and rebuilt them and have never had an issue. Works for dog hair also.

worst I ever had in a bulk lot was roach pop and bed bugs, that I left outside and a ironically it got stollen. I was going to throw them away but it is really funny the thief stole themselves bed bugs which will cost a lot to remove 

On 4/8/2019 at 9:57 PM, Salimr said:

One of the first bulk lots I bought was a bunch of modular buildings and my entire truck bed full of sets for $500 all smelled of smoke and had spilt soda on them. I washed them in vinegar took photos and listed what I did not want, took them apart and washed in vinegar again and had no more smell.

i washed the sets I kept and rebuilt them and have never had an issue. Works for dog hair also.

worst I ever had in a bulk lot was roach pop and bed bugs, that I left outside and a ironically it got stollen. I was going to throw them away but it is really funny the thief stole themselves bed bugs which will cost a lot to remove 

Does the vinegar smell come off the parts? I purchased a large lot of early Bionicle that had that "old people house" smell. I gave them a pre-soak in warm, soapy water and 2 turns in the washing machine in garment bags and outside, air dry and they still stink, so I'm looking for alternatives. I've cleaned a couple of other old toys with vinegar and they had a faint vinegar smell that stayed afterward. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

24 LB lot purchased around Christmas time $200 incl shipping, purchased with Ebay GCs (which I obtained for free).  So $0 invested for the lot.  

Each set required a few pieces to finish them off and there were no minifigures.  At least half of the sets had instructions in very good condition.  I found minifigures and finished the first list of sets.  I'm still debating what to do with 7662, which is an awesome set.  Most of the others I've already sold during the Coronavirus.  Even with Brick Linking the a few missing pieces and all the minifigures, I have still made a nice profit.

• 7656 – Gen. Grievous Starfighter
  • 7662 – Trade Federation MTT
  • 7674 – V-19 Torrent
  • 7675 – AT-TE
  • 7676 – Rep. Attack Gunship
  • 7748 – Corp. Alliance Droid Tank
  • 7869 – Battle for Geonosis
  • 7915 – V-Wing
  • 8017 – Darth Vader’s Tie Fighter
  • 8018 – Armored Assault Tank (AAT)
  • 8019 – Rep. Attack Shuttle
  • 8039 – Venator-Class Rep. Attack Cruiser
  • 8086 – Droid Tri-Fighter
  • 8089 – Hoth Wampa Cave (minus speeder)

Parts but very incomplete (33% or less):

• 7657 – AT-ST
  • 7658 – Y-Wing
  • 7661 – Jedi Starfighter w/ Hyperdrive Booster Ring
  • 7666 – Hoth Echo Base
  • 7673 – Magna Guard Starfigter
  • 8037 – Anakin’s Y-Wing
  • 8128 – Cad Bane’s Speeder

I'm not sure if I'll worry about completing these or not.    Maybe if I find another large lot.

24 lb lot - 201912.jpg

Edited by exracer327
  • Like 3

• 9 months later...