10226 - Sopwith Camel

legotrader

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Really slow progress in Europe, the prices are still around 110 Euro - I have the feeling that the sales for all LEGO stuff in this month is pretty low...

Just give it some more time- maybe 1 or 2 years

Ebay is flooded of them, right now.

What would really affect the price in a positive way if LEGO releases an update of the Fokker DR I.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
On 17/02/2015, 16:30:04, mauro23 said:

Really slow progress in Europe, the prices are still around 110 Euro - I have the feeling that the sales for all LEGO stuff in this month is pretty low...

Well, I'm glad the progress was slow in Europe this year because it was already retired before I came out of my Dark Age. Glad I could buy two from you for still a good price for an already retired set. One to build and one to save for the future. I'll be patient and give it more time.

And like @Cardiff said, would be great if LEGO releases an update for the Fokker DR 1 !

I guess we could say for this set that almost everybody who actually wanted this set already bought it when it was still available at retail.

So there's simply very little demand for this set after retirement. 

Maybe 10 years from now, when the box is kept in pristine conditions, it might actually be worth something. But as an investment you'd only win against a bank's savings-account with 1% yearly interest. :derisive:

At least the initial jump was good in the US.  I've offloaded most of mine already, but it an easy 50%+ profit over here.

Like the Horizon train, I like the Sopwith Camel. Both are excellent builds & feature some neat elements but what I like most is both haven't been replaced yet in the Direct to Consumer / Exclusive line. So you if want an Expert level plane, Sopwith is the go to. Same with the Horizon (unless you want older and more expensive options)

23 minutes ago, exciter1 said:

At least the initial jump was good in the US.  I've offloaded most of mine already, but it an easy 50%+ profit over here.

And here I thought I was being smart by avoiding the horde's choices and holding a couple of these for the long haul... :drag:  If you have been outperformed by Chima.... :D

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Darth_Raichu said:

And here I thought I was being smart by avoiding the horde's choices and holding a couple of these for the long haul... :drag:  If you have been outperformed by Chima.... :D

One thing I'm learning is that you have to be in tune with the market prices.  Sets can appreciation quickly, slow down, and then remain stagnant.  I missed out some nice selling windows over the summer to offload a few sets.  Now the supply is picking up again and prices are falling on a few sets I was planning to sell this holiday season.  Understanding when to sell is just as important, if not more important, as when you buy...something I need to get better at. 

i totally agree that this set had much better legs in the US than in Europe (except possibly for the UK). It seems that both it and  HE were retired ahead of schedule (going back to that dodgy in shop list) as neither have had replacements this year or are likely to in 2016.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I've built this Sopwith Camel set.  Even did a build review topic here with pics.  It was a enjoyable build and the end result was more than satisfying,  

With regards to the investment aspect, it's been a dud despite the decent retail lifespan.  Not enough demand after 2+ years of retirement to push prices even near $200.    I unloaded my NISB ones already for small profit.  

If any AFOL who hasn't built it yet, do yourself a favor, buy one. Best of all, NISB sets aren't going for much above MSRP.  heck, used prices are at MSRP if not lower.  

Below is a pic from my 2014 build review .

IMG_1946.JPG

• Like 2