Shipping Rates from Canada

seapotato

I haven't had much experience selling too many things other than polybags and minifigures so I am always very surprised by how much larger items and parcels cost to ship. I always end up charging too little for shipping and my profit is almost nonexistant or I end up selling at a loss.

I was hoping to create a shipping price guideline so people can refer to it for the future. This will probably change once the new postal rates come into effect next month though. Any help would be appreciated from seasoned sellers!

Small bubble envelope (good for polybag or minifigs)

Within Canada - $1.34

To US - $2.65

International - $5.20

Small parcel (size of Captain America set)

Within Canada - $11.83

I learned that shipping to PO boxes in Canada adds around $10 or so if I remember correctly, so I updated most of my listings to reflect that. 

I use CanadaPost.ca and put in the box dimensions and weight (I use 2 kg as my benchmark, I think) to get a very good idea of what costs are going to be.

For anything over a certain amount I also get insurance (I think it's $1.95 for every $100) so when I shipped some HP Castles this Christmas I ended up getting $300 in insurance just in case something went wrong.  I try to factor that into my shipping and handling costs, too.  I'm not willing to risk shipping larger/rarer/expensive items without insurance and tracking.  Ebay buyers have a lot of power!

Yes I would definitely add insurance and tracking onto larger parcels that are worth more. I just haven't listed any for sale yet :P

I have tried using the canada post shipping rate calculator and sometimes it's not too accurate...

I also pack some stuff into a big bubble envelope and that throws off measurements when I'm trying to figure out shipping.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Ugh can I just complain how ridiculous shipping prices are in canada.

I sold a LR stagecoach set for $65 and $7 shipping (can't change shipping cost on amazon for some reason), amazon takes a giant cut.

Cost me $21.28 to mail the box and that was with a 5% discount with the venture one program.

Basically I only make $11. Not even worth it :(

I'm surprised every time I mail a parcel it always ends up way more than yhe estimate. Grr.

Yea it's weird. Someone said if you  have an older account you don't have control over what to charge for shipping and amazon has a flat rate for everything. It's always something ridiculously low like $7 or $11 even if it's a large box like the QAR. It costs at least $23-25ish for that! :S
But then they charge the same shipping for a book that costs me $2.20 to ship. It's so strange.

To be able to charge different shipping rates, you would have to open up a new account. Or so I've heard.

I don't sell on Amazon but if you are not allowed to charge actual shipping that is rediculous. As bad as shipping within Canada might be I'm finding the shipping rates from the USA into Canada are getting worse than rates from Canada TO the USA!

Don't forget shipping rates for letters (including bubble mailers) have gone up since April 1st so adjust your price accordingly. I don't sell boxed sets on eBay (never tried Amazon) due to the enormous shipping costs. And if you try to pass that cost onto the customer you end up not being competitive anymore. I try to keep packages under 1kg and even then it's $20 to ship.

When I buy from the US it's expensive too. I think I've been charged $30-40 for just 1 medium box to get here. 1st class mail (bubble mailer) costs $8 at least if I'm not mistaken.

It ended up costing $109.43 by boat, after the 5% discount. :( it is only covered for $100 insurance but I wanted to get more. I couldn't buy additional insurance unless I ship by air and it would be well over $200. I am worried they might get damaged since it takes like 9 weeks to deliver.

Ouch!!! Ya that`ll cost a pretty penny. Anything larger than an envolope. How large a parcel if you don`t mind me asking?

It ended up costing $109.43 by boat, after the 5% discount. :( it is only covered for $100 insurance but I wanted to get more. I couldn't buy additional insurance unless I ship by air and it would be well over $200. I am worried they might get damaged since it takes like 9 weeks to deliver.

Wow.  Hope you had enough margin on the listing to make decent profit on this transaction.  Too bad your buyer couldn't be from BC to save you all this hassle.  yeah, it's usually under $2 to add another $100 for insurance but by boat is different I guess.  I've never shipped internationally before.  Since I'm in Ontario...whenever I get notification something has sold, I'm a bit happier when I see on the order form the buyer is within my province.  Cheaper and arrives at the customer in 1-3days only.   

Wow too bad it cost so much even by surface. Hope you let the buyer it'll take 4-6 weeks to get there (did the post office really quote 9 weeks?). That's what I worry about when I ship larger packages overseas, the fact they could chargeback and then receive the package afterwards :(

I've found that my auctions do very well by being willing to sell worldwide. I just state that the buyer pays actual shipping and I usually can sell my sets for the going ebay rate or more since it seems like most US sellers only ship within the US.

Canadapost.ca is a great tool to quickly calculate shipping, especially since brickpicker lists the box dimensions. 

Luckily there was a pretty big profit margin, plus i sold in USD so I get a tad more after the exchange rate. I belive the guy said up to 2 months (which is really 10 weeks?!) but I had written that in my posting and have been in communication with the buyer.

Extra insurance is $2.05 plus 13% tax by air but I guess it doesn't apply by surface!

I almost never run auctions anymore, just BIN and Ive had no problems selling internationally. Granted most are small packets but ive only had one item get lost out of hundreds of transactions.

This is an eBay sale? You have to be careful shipping surface even with a tracking number because if the buyer lodges a non delivery compliant against you and you can't provide proof of delivery after 30 days (I believe?) even with the tracking number, eBay could rule against you, the seller, and give the buyer a full refund. This is an old scam some buyers may pull by asking for slow cheap shipping and then screwing you over with a non delivery claim after just 2 weeks.

International shipping I always quote tracked air services which usually scare away most international buyers unfortunately. Its too damn expensive to ship out of Canada overseas.