What Lego set did you sell today and for how much?

• 4 years later...
34 minutes ago, TheRebel said:

Does anyone think I should by another UCS falcon? Is it worth it?

For what purpose?

Before Christmas I got a second one on my partners VIP account for an extra Star Wars VIP Card just in case they do give away anything decent. 

I flipped it locally for a small profit but I wouldn't be considering buying another one for quite a while yet. 

15 minutes ago, Fenix_2k1 said:

For what purpose?

Before Christmas I got a second one on my partners VIP account for an extra Star Wars VIP Card just in case they do give away anything decent. 

I flipped it locally for a small profit but I wouldn't be considering buying another one for quite a while yet. 

They'll still be on sale in 2020 and possibly beyond. Buying any for investment now would be a terrible decision. Flipping might still 'work', but seems like a real risk of getting stuck with a large paperweight for several years.

Guest TabbyBoy
33 minutes ago, Captain_chaos said:

They'll still be on sale in 2020 and possibly beyond. Buying any for investment now would be a terrible decision. Flipping might still 'work', but seems like a real risk of getting stuck with a large paperweight for several years.

My thoughts exactly, I learned the hard way by buying Tower Bridges and VW T1s way too early, I mean 5 years too early! ;-(

Since LEGO/Disney want to milk this, I wouldn't be surprised to see a 10yr life span.

Guest TabbyBoy
23 minutes ago, richiej1979 said:

So my Kwik E Marts are listed at £299 and others are lower, how the hell does this one end up selling for £320?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LEGO-The-Simpsons-71016-The-Kwik-E-Mart-NEW-SEALED/252703411226?epid=560536780&hash=item3ad64c0c1a:g:0ncAAOSwo4pYZt4O

I'm confused.

It didn't sell for £320 as £299.99 was the highest. Click on the amount sold and it'll tell you thr actual selling price as a lot of sellers use Best Offer:

5a622fe60427e_ScreenShot2018-01-19at17_49_03.png.088821f0598865e4b8bcd8decee8c0f8.png

This buyer is also offering free postage that'll still cost £11.29 (Collect+) plus about £3 for a custom double-walled 600x500x125mm box. LEGO cartons are NOT good strong enough for couriers these days. If it was bought at RRP,  it would be £60 profit tops (post fees) and £36 after declaring tax for somebody on a decent income. £36 which could be wiped out if returned so I don't think it's a good idea to sell yet as the margin just isn't there.

I hope you got yours at a good discount!

11 minutes ago, TabbyBoy said:

It didn't sell for £320 as £299.99 was the highest. Click on the amount sold and it'll tell you thr actual selling price as a lot of sellers use Best Offer:

5a622fe60427e_ScreenShot2018-01-19at17_49_03.png.088821f0598865e4b8bcd8decee8c0f8.png

This buyer is also offering free postage that'll still cost £11.29 (Collect+) plus about £3 for a custom double-walled 600x500x125mm box. LEGO cartons are NOT good strong enough for couriers these days. If it was bought at RRP,  it would be £60 profit tops (post fees) and £36 after declaring tax for somebody on a decent income. £36 which could be wiped out if returned so I don't think it's a good idea to sell yet as the margin just isn't there.

I hope you got yours at a good discount!

OK, yeah so I need to be more patient and list these at Christmas? 

Guest TabbyBoy
18 minutes ago, richiej1979 said:

I normally list mine from say, 10NOV for 30 days to end on 10DEC as competition is fierce just before Xmas. I then listing again (if there's any left) on 10DEC at a higher price with Best Offer. This is when you can sometimes snag a sale from an impatient buyer who forgets to make an offer and leaves it all to the last minute. TBH... most times are OK for selling if the price is right, but JAN/FEB is when Xmas credit card bills are paid off.

36 minutes ago, richiej1979 said:

Quite a lot of them have been listed today, IMO it will follow the same pattern in the UK as the previous 2 years for the large exclusives, once it hits the initial bump, growth will stop. The best time to sell the tumbler, x-wing, ToO, EV and Sandcrawler was a few months after retirement, otherwise money is just being tied up making no gains. If someone offered me £300 for a SImpsons set i would take it as I can't see it getting higher than that (in the UK).

Edited by John82

Guest TabbyBoy
12 minutes ago, John82 said:

Quite a lot of them have been listed today, IMO it will follow the same pattern in the UK as the previous 2 years for the large exclusives, once it hits the initial bump, growth will stop. The best time to sell the tumbler, x-wing, ToO, EV and Sandcrawler was a few months after retirement, otherwise money is just being tied up making no gains. If someone offered me £300 for a SImpsons set i would take it as I can't see it getting higher than that (in the UK).

I agree, I don't know many people in the UK that like The Simpsons.

Guest TabbyBoy
7 minutes ago, Captain_chaos said:

Whereas I don't know many people who don't like The Simpsons. Perhaps a generational thing...

I wish more did as these sets would then have a decent chance. If there was a TV show even more irritating than Mrs Brown's Boys, this qualifies. However, I like the genre as I do watch Family Guy sometimes. You, know the bloke that has a scrotum where his chin should be ;-)

Could be, can I assume that you're married with 2 boys and in your mid 30s? ;-)

Guest TabbyBoy
51 minutes ago, Captain_chaos said:

21johh.jpg

LOL - you must be nearly as old as me then. People do say that I'm a unique character and I wouldn't change for anybody ;-)

9 hours ago, richiej1979 said:

There's so many listed at under £250. I don't understand the motivation for selling them that cheaply.

I went through my full inventory and checked eBay selling prices for them as of last night and the quick flippers and the panicky can easily wipe out a lot of a sets value. Some sets that were actually selling at double rrp now have listings at or below rrp. 

For example one big trader on eBay was selling 41172 for £15 yesterday when the going rate has been £30+. Even if he got the sets at 75% off, postage and fees ain't leaving much meat on the bone.

• Like 1

Guest TabbyBoy
44 minutes ago, richiej1979 said:

Yeah I'm not interested in selling any of my sets now. I'd rather return them than compete with those prices.

If I was in your shoes and had buyer's remorse, I'd return them right now. The reason being is that I have no faith in the theme and I don't want to get stuck with sets that I don't like. If I could've returned my Simpson's Houses a year ago, I wouldn't have hesitated. My other reason is that these sets are likely to be massively hoarded and other buyers have got better deals than we could get so they can lower the price any time they want, we can't. You need to have a big enough margin to cope with possible returns or a small partial refund if a fussy buyer notices a tiny blemish on the box. Honestly, if you're boxes aren't 100% perfect, I'd send them all back.

Unless it's a very hot in-demand set, I'll not buy anything unless it's 40% off or more. I even got my Yellow Submarines at close to 50% off. However I'd buy no-brainers like the 21309 Saturn V  at RRP and the 70618 at 25% off.

Of course, don't listen to me and others will shoot me down. My 2p worth ;-)