How much does Lego box condition affect resale value?

This has been discussed many time before. And the answer is yes and no. :)

If you plan to keep it for a few years and sell it when it's rare, then a few minor dents won't make much difference.

Btw. John Lewis has these half price at the mo, what's ASDA got them for?

The only time box condition matters much is when you buy a large exclusive.  You would be able to buy a damaged 10179 UCS Millennium Falcon cheaper than you would a MINT Falcon.  In the long run, your investment will increase in value.  I would just keep it.  It is not worth the hassle of a return.

What really matters in the condition of the seals, not so much the box. Minor dings/scratches/creases are not usually of any concern to buyers, because most buy to build, thus the box is irrelevant. A completely crushed box will most of the time have some impact on the other hand, though most likely not enough to really be concern. Always try to get the best boxes you can of course, but if you get enough of a discount anyway, it`s not going to make a whole heck of a lot of difference. 

What really matters in the condition of the seals, not so much the box. Minor dings/scratches/creases are not usually of any concern to buyers, because most buy to build, thus the box is irrelevant. A completely crushed box will most of the time have some impact on the other hand, though most likely not enough to really be concern. Always try to get the best boxes you can of course, but if you get enough of a discount anyway, it`s not going to make a whole heck of a lot of difference.

Agree with you for the most part but if a buyer has a choice between two sellers selling the same set for the same price and one box is perfect and one is crushed they are most likely going to buy the perfect box especially if it's going to be given as a gift for Christmas/birthday so I think you would have to reduce price at least some to entice buyers.

Sent from my iPad using Brickpicker

• Like 3

I received the LOTR Pirate Ship Ambush from ToysRUs two weeks ago and the box had a lot of light scuffing all over and two of the seals where loose and no longer sticky. I gently open them and checked the contents. Ever thing was as should be so I resealed the box with a little paper glue. I phoned customer services and told them I wasn't happy and I had checked online and they were sold out. The girl offered me

• 2 weeks later...

If a box has been opened, but all pieces are inside their sealed bags within the box, can you sell as a "New" item on Ebay and just disclose that the box has been opened or do you have to classify as "Used"?

Just remember to state that it isn't MISB, but parts are new. I would list as new aslong as you state that. It really only affects value if it's a newer set, in the long term it does nothing.

Agree with you for the most part but if a buyer has a choice between two sellers selling the same set for the same price and one box is perfect and one is crushed they are most likely going to buy the perfect box especially if it's going to be given as a gift for Christmas/birthday so I think you would have to reduce price at least some to entice buyers.

That`s a solid point, and yep I`d agree with that as well. 

If a box has been opened, but all pieces are inside their sealed bags within the box, can you sell as a "New" item on Ebay and just disclose that the box has been opened or do you have to classify as "Used"?

Yes, but be careful. Make sure you are very specific in the listing and photos so that there is no loop hole for a potential buyer to find. Some people are difficult, and as with listing anything online, the more details you have the better. I`d list it as "New/Complete sealed bags, includes Instructions and Box (if you want to include that)". Something along those lines, but you obviously cannot state "MISB" or "NISB". 

This is a very bad idea, which will have a tremendously damaging effect on sellers. Bascially you esstalish yourself (generally) with other people`s money, buy, then sell and take larger chuncks of the profits for yourself. The problem is with the amount of product you`de be moving. It would dilulte the market immensily, would it not? Basically killing off the average resller and building up yourself. Also, what woudl stop other people copying the idea? You`de be drawing in a larger pool of ignorant people, filtering them through yourself, taking shares for yourself, then feeding people what is left back. If someone where to start doing this I guarentee I`d be out of this in a flash, as my stacks upon stacks of sets become worthless a bit at a time.

Another poteltnailly terrible result of this will be if too many people jump on board. We`ve already seen a large growth of new inestors buying Lego sets for resale, and this is gradually affecting the secondary aftermarket. Great if you are a consumer, but very, very bad if you are a seller. This kind of thing is scary to be honest. Better to have a larger market with a lot of people who frankly don`t know what they are doing (allowing more knowledgmeble inestors to maintain some kinf of adantage) vs this, were practically anyone could jump on board and make money. Also, wouldn`t the person/people inolved in running it decide to take cuts of the profits for themelves at the expense of everyone else?

Most of the time, a person buying a set from a reseller will buy it to build and not to collect, so box condition is not as important as one would think. Minor scratches or dings might cost a few dollars, but you have to compare the cost of the damage to the time, money and energy spent returning the damaged box. Sometimes it is just easier and more cost effective to keep the set with the damaged box.

You can sell it as new, but that is not what I do.  If you list it as used, then you can specify your conditions.  So when people click on your listing they will see something like this:

Used - Bags all sealed, 100% complete, box opened.

This is what I do even when parting out a set.  I have had speedy sales on all items like this, and don't think that it will affect sales whether you list "New" or "Used."  It's just good to stay on the safe side.  That way, a buyer cannot complain if the item is not in the sealed box, because it was specified as used.

When buying sets from Asda, if you buy 3 sets they will send them in the Lego outer box, my last purchase was three guldur battles, coming via myhermes courier (e.*** delivered by someone in the car so this went in the boot (trunk) or back seat) the outer box had a few dings and ruffles of damage but the Lego boxes inside where mint. Box damage is not everything, but mint will be easier to sell.

Guest TabbyBoy

Over 75% of my buyers appear to be resellers or investors insisting on a perfect box.  To avoid doubt, just return it or only keep it if it's the last one.  Box condition is CRITICAL in my experience.