How much does Lego box condition affect resale value?

If you order on-line you always have to assume that there is going to be some minor defect with the box.  Is there a store near you that you could just go swap them out?

Yes, there are several stores near me.  I order online due to work schedule and to maximize freebies as some stores will only allow one freebie per household.  I might make a trip out next week...but realistically, I have about 5 or 6 of the exclusive sets that need swapping.  It might send some back to S/**** as well.

Yes, there are several stores near me.  I order online due to work schedule and to maximize freebies as some stores will only allow one freebie per household.  I might make a trip out next week...but realistically, I have about 5 or 6 of the exclusive sets that need swapping.  It might send some back to S/**** as well.

Yeah I do the same.  I order for the freebies and then if i don't like how damaged they are I save up to make a trip the nearest store.  Problem is, my closest store is hr and half away...  have to make sure I have several reasons to go that way so I am not driving just for LEGO sets.

LEGO box condition is a personal type of issue.  It is my belief that box condition means very little in the grand scheme of things, unless of course the box is crushed or ripped.  Slight shelf wear will not affect the sales price to any major degree.  Most sets bought to resell will be bought by a person that is opening and building the set, so they really don't care about a crease or scuff.

• 3 weeks later...

Greetings!!!

I am brand new to Lego investing of any kind.  I have been trying to read up on the subject.  I had a quick question about a set I just bought off of Amazon.  I found the new Jaba's Palace set on Amazon for a good price, so I ordered it up.  When I got it, I noticed a few dents around the edges and what looks like a stress crease on one of the end.  Does stuff like that hurt the value a lot?  I was thinking of sending it back to Amazon and trying my luck with another.

post-30293-0-40160200-1384830136_thumb.j

Welcome to the stressful world of collectible toy box condition :)

Don't worry bout it too much. I say Lego is exempt from the MISB stipulation. Other toys can be displayed in their boxes; Lego decidely cannot. So we sell to builders when we can.

Of course, if there are 95 listings for 9516 and they're priced mint at $, you'll probably have to sell at $ - 10% (for a really damaged or missing box. Yours isn't so bad)

The only way to guarantee you stock mint boxes is to pluck them straight from the shelf. To this end, I would recommend an in-store price match next time.

Greetings!!!

I am brand new to Lego investing of any kind.  I have been trying to read up on the subject.  I had a quick question about a set I just bought off of Amazon.  I found the new Jaba's Palace set on Amazon for a good price, so I ordered it up.  When I got it, I noticed a few dents around the edges and what looks like a stress crease on one of the end.  Does stuff like that hurt the value a lot?  I was thinking of sending it back to Amazon and trying my luck with another.

attachicon.gifLego Crease.jpg

I too have just received my first squashed box from amazon, everything alse has been pristine up and until. I do not worry too much about damage, as long as the seals are not broken.

In my case they were so I have contacted Amazon for a replacement. Their customer service was great as described here:

http://community.brickpicker.com/topic/6735-first-damaged-box-from-amazoncouk-7938/

If you intend to keep it until well after EOL it won't be an issue but if you are a flipper it may be more of a worry.

Do you guys remember the old LEGO boxes where there was a flap which revealed clear plastic and then you can see the box contents?  Would you consider box condition important on those?  (wish i had some)

I have some of those - 6080 etc... And the 1980's space sets had great interiors. Even the early Star Wars sets from the late 1990's have a better box design than today. Today's are literally a basic box, nothing else.

• 2 months later...

I know where I can get two (2) Ghost Trains for $54 each, but the boxes are damaged......

Should I get them or just hold off?

Thanks for the thoughts.....

If you like the investment potential, then go for it. I probably would grab them. I passed up about six Black Pearls at the end of 2012 because the boxes were damaged and seals were busted (though the contents were all there). That was the last time I let box damage sway my decision.

• Like 1

If you like the investment potential, then go for it. I probably would grab them. I passed up about six Black Pearls at the end of 2012 because the boxes were damaged and seals were busted (though the contents were all there). That was the last time I let box damage sway my decision.

that sucks. i passed on a UCS imperial shuttle for 216$ because of damage, big mistake.

that sucks. i passed on a UCS imperial shuttle for 216$ because of damage, big mistake.

Ouch. We live and learn. Just to back up my original opinion, I've been watching various Goblin King Battle auctions to buy one for my son. Noticed that they've been selling for anywhere from $50-$75 on ebay, NIB. One sold for $76 today, complete in sealed bags, but no box. I think sometimes an auction like this (no box, damaged box, etc.) will get more traffic. Bidders expect to get a deal, and then they get in a bidding war which brings the sell price back up to market price. I've seen this happen a few times.

Only decent set I've ever seen in my area in the damaged box "area" was a Helms Deep a few weeks ago. Box was mangled beyond recognition, and had multiple punctures or "holes" so i figured it would be dirt cheap... they were asking $164.99 ($5 under Canadian Retail) even after asking the manager if that was really the price. I had a good amount of HD, so i passed. I always check the damaged sections in places like TRU hoping one day to see a good deal...

Depending on the damage i'd probably pick them up, but i'm also thinking of Canadian MSRP at $100 for that set.

I picked up 2 Fire Brigade's with damaged boxes, at the end of December, paid full UK retail, but less than opened and built ones were going for then. Happy to hang onto them for a wee while.

So back to the original question. If the value is likely to be significantly higher in your selling period then I'd say go for it as you've got some wriggle room for profit.

One thing I had considered was picking up other boxes (opened) with less damage and swapping over.

• 3 months later...

I have received a lego set that I ordered from azda - nothing too expensive - battle of black gate. The box has a little damage. One of the corners is a bit squashed. If I am buying for investment purposes what's the view about the importance of the box being in "mint" condition? Should I send it back?