How much does Lego box condition affect resale value?

Mod edit after merging threads.

=============

original post.

I'm a collector first and foremost, as I collect Hot Toys, Sideshow statues, Transformers, etc in addition to LEGO. As a collector, I'm pretty picky about box condition and I'm assuming our potential LEGO buyers may also be quite picky. Therefore, when I purchase LEGO sets in person, I like to pick out the nicest boxes available. Obviously, it is not possible to check box condition when ordering online. I'm getting some of the packages from my double VIP orders and I can't help but get annoyed by the condition of some of these boxes. All boxes are sealed obviously, and none are absolutely crushed or mangled, but 4 or 5 came with deep creases down the center of the boxes and other flaws. I'm wondering if I'm just overly selective here, or if others feel the same. So,

1. What do you consider as acceptable box wear when ordering the big exclusive sets (FB, GE, HH, R2 D2, etc)?

2. How often do you return stuff to S/**** and have they ever given you any issues?

=============

There is a republic frigate at my local store and its $50, but the box is beaten up. almost like someone sat on the thing. How much does it matter for the condition of the box? is it worth getting you think?

Edited by jaisonline
Merged all box condition threads.

There is a republic frigate at my local store and its $50, but the box is beaten up. almost like someone sat on the thing. How much does it matter for the condition of the box? is it worth getting you think?

Yes...Good deal. Used Frigates are selling for $60+ and these bags are sealed, so it's worth more than $60, but not as much as a new set would sell for. Maybe $75-$80.

You should definitely pick it up at that price. I recently was able to pick up two at Barnes and Noble when I had a bogo 50% off coupon. One of the sets boxes were damaged so I just opened it for display. Its a good set in my opinion. And don't forget it's sold out on Shop at Home, so if you see any now it would be a good idea to pick it up, damaged box or not.

• 2 weeks later...

After ordering several larger lego sets from Amazon in December and having to send them all back because the boxes were damaged I tried my luck once again and I purchased 3 Haunted Houses 10228. I ordered them and received them before Christmas. When they arrived the boxes were heavily damaged (I have photos). So I put in a return request and shipped them back. I received the replacements today and the boxes were in much better condition but still not perfect. One has a dented corner and another has a minor bit of the print on the box ripped off like it hit something at one point. I don't believe either has been opened before but yet the tape sealing the boxes looks like it may have stretched during shipping making it look like just possibly it had been opened (in my opinion it has not been and this is just what happens when shipping larger lego sets). I did open the worst of the 3 because I plan on keeping one set for myself and all the pieces were there and bags were sealed. When I shop in a B&M store I always make sure the box is in perfect condition and will "almost" always pass up a deal on even a great set if the box is damaged. In any case my question is should I be concerned about minor box imperfections when investing? I will be completely honest in the auction when I finally decide to sell some sets but I feel like it could hurt the price for even a minor imperfection. Anyone have any thoughts?

Some people like myself and Rich demand our boxes in pristine condition so when you go to sell the sets you will be eliminating us " box condition snobs" but there aren't a lot of us out there so if the damage is not too bad I wouldnt worry too much. I have always said that any damage could hurt the resale value but its hard to say how much. My opinion is that you should send them back until you get the boxes in the condition you want them in. I sent back jabbas palace and imperial shuttle 4 and 5 times respectively. I refuse to get a damaged box when I am paying that much money for what essentially us just plastic.

Thanks for the input. I think I would classify myself as a "box condition snob" also. At least when it comes to investing anyway. It puts my mind at ease when i know i'm not sitting on a set for 2+ years that has already lost some of its value because of poor shipping. So I think I will send them back. I keep thinking for $179 each it shouldn't be too much to ask for that the box be in perfect condition. If I lived closer to a lego store I would just go get the bigger box sets right off the shelf so I can inspect them first.

Box condition and set value is directly related, but not as much as you think. Unless you are hand picking sets from a LEGO store(which many of cannot), many LEGO boxes have some sort of shelf wear or damage. Seals do get stretched and sometimes even come off with time. As an investor, you have to figure out who your potential buyers will be. Will they be super anal collectors who want the perfect box? Will they be LEGO fans who want a new set to build and want a decent box, but will be satisfied with a crease or crushed corner? There is no exact formula, but being honest with potential buyers goes a long way and sellers usually get their asking price if the set is priced fairly. Many times I will accept a lesser box if the deal is a good one. Buying a set from a big retailer like LEGO or Amazon is a crap shoot with boxes. I have returned many and have accepted many lesser boxes. Depends on the deal or situation. Sometimes sets sell out and you cannot get replacements. Each situation is different.

I used to be a little snobby about my box conditions, but I have changed over the years. Given the choice, I will always choose a perfect box, of course, but some of my biggest regrets are leaving some really good sets behind because the boxes were a little messed up. The sets are worth hundreds of dollars now and a little box damage would not decrease their value that much.

I am a huge box snob as Stephen said. I try to keep the boxes in my collection as pristine as possible. However, I do have some older sets that are not in the best shape, but are still in what I would classify as good shape. It is hard to say whether or not a slighty damaged box is going to hurt you when you go to resell it. In my opinion it all depends on who you are selling to. If the buyer is someone who plans to open and build the set then a little damage probably won't be a great concern to them. Most people won't care that much about the condition of it. Like you said, be honest about it when you list it, and you should be fine. You can always return it a third time, but you may get a new sets in even worse condition. This is an ongoing headache when you order from online sites as you probably already know, and something many people have to learn to be forgiving about. Otherwise try to purchase from a physical store so you can pick and choose exactly what you purchase (I know going to a physical store isn't always feasible).

• 3 weeks later...

I had a similiar situation happen to me, but I was the seller. I sold a Vader TIE Fighter for $65 on ebay a few weeks before Christmas. It was in pristine condition, packaged tight with packing peanuts, and sealed with strong tape. I shipped it and waited for the positive feedback. Three weeks went by and the buyer emailed me that they hadn't received it yet. I did some digging through the delivery confirmation and it appeared that it was stuck in a postal warehouse in Georgia. Two days later, it showed up on MY doorstep, out of the box I had shipped it in, and it looked like it had been run over by a truck. I emailed the buyer, explained what had happened, and refunded their money in full, including the shipping costs. I could not offer a replacement since it was the last one I had. They understood it was not my fault and still left positive feedback for me, which I appreciated very much. All was not lost, however. I re-listed it, under it's new condition, with lot's of pics so the potential buyer could see what kind of shape it was in (surprisingly, the factory seals were still intact). I sold it as-is, no returns, and it sold in that condition for $90! LOL I could not believe it. Some people just don't care about the box. They see a set they want and they just have to have it!

• Like 1

Jeezus, that's horrible! It's situations like this that make it no wonder as to why so many people have videotaped UPS or FedEx employees delivering a package to their home, and then post it on youtube. I really have no idea what to say other than no one should ever have that happen. Ever. Whoever did that to your order should get kicked right square in the nuts with a wrecking ball and a block of C4 up 'where the sun don't shine'.

Seller is going to refund my money and have me send them back. I truly do feel bad about it because its not their fault (although their packing wasn't that great). I doubt I will find these sets at that price again. Is it wrong of me to ask the seller to pay the return shipping?

I received these today from an auction I won on eBay. They were in perfect condition in the eBay auction photos. Check it out and be amazed at just how bad things can arrive. Think this will hurt the resale value... LOL.

Wow man, sorry about your bad luck.......that is ridiculous!!!

I got a 8487 - Republic Striker-class Starfighter from Kmart in about the same condition. But Kmart packaged it in a plastic envelope! Seriously made me mad, what did they think was going to happen? They filed a claim against UPS. I actually used the word 'unethical' in my response to them! They then refunded my money and let me keep it, so now I am not mad anymore! lol

Seller is going to refund my money and have me send them back. I truly do feel bad about it because its not their fault (although their packing wasn't that great). I doubt I will find these sets at that price again. Is it wrong of me to ask the seller to pay the return shipping?

Yes, I think it is wrong for you to ask for return shipping. One of my buyers did that the other day, too, and I ship better than anyone on eBay. I use 200 PPSI boxes with packing peanuts, inflatables and bubble wrap with significant amounts of great tape. The seller already was kind to allow a return, sometimes it's best to take some of the load off of the seller and just cough up the return money. If the packing was truly awful, then I'd then think it ok to fish for return shipping.