Complaint Thread

rcdb1984

30 minutes ago, Lukish said:

Dec 2nd 2020 43.5million Americans were living in poverty, that poverty is described as being unable to pay for their needs.

Perspective? Yeah, you're the richest country in the world yet compare your poverty to those in third world countries.

Well, I know I happen to live here right now but I was born and lived most of my life in a 3rd world country, so I guess I see things a little differently. I am extremely grateful for the opportunities provided by this country for those of us who weren’t fortunate enough to be born in developed nations.

Also, to be clear, I am not saying that we shouldn’t aspire to be better just because we know others are doing worse than we are (reason #1 why I left my country of birth: not wanting to settle for just not being as bad as others) All I wanted to point out was that saying the US “forces” people to live in poverty sounded pretty extreme, and that poverty level means different things relative to the particular society you are talking about.

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, Lukish said:

Dec 2nd 2020 43.5million Americans were living in poverty, that poverty is described as being unable to pay for their needs.

Perspective? Yeah, you're the richest country in the world yet compare your poverty to those in third world countries.

That statistic doesn’t use that definition of poverty. That is most likely determined by total income https://www.census.gov/topics/income-poverty/poverty/guidance/poverty-measures.html

You’ll also note in that definition that the income figure does not take into account noncash benefits like food stamps and housing assistance.
We have a method to get assistance for those basic needs, but I assume, since it is ran by the government, it is overly complex and not as streamlined as it could be. 

Also that number you quoted is around 13% of our population. Not great but better than some.  This site pegs us at about 18% also not great but a far cry from the dumpster fire you are making us out to be. Lots of other first world countries in that range.  
https://worldpopulationreview.com/country-rankings/poverty-rate-by-country

2 hours ago, spener90 said:

100%

I work with a lot of individuals who are terrible with financials. It's one thing to complain that one lacks money, but when they walk in with Starbucks everyday, and order delivery food 3 days a week, I start to question whether it is more of a function of poor decision making more than anything else. I'm totally aware of people having money struggles, and that I'm currently standing on my soap box, but when a person is in debt and getting $100 haircuts, nails done twice a month, etc etc etc, a lifestyle change may be in order.

[At least in the US...] Being broke is a (likely temporary) state of being.  Being poor is a state of mind.

Deciding to be debt free was one of the best decisions I've ever made.

I don't believe in free money.  I think it's a terrible idea.  But if the government is handing it out, I'll gladly take my share....and hence the problem.

This topic reminds me of the ethnic history of Hawaii. We all know native Polynesians were there then came the western ships and the Christians. What's interesting were the various waves of immigrants: Chinese, Filipino, Japanese, and Korean waves.

Hawaii, once the population got hooked on modern conveniences was in deep trouble because the cost of transport. Their solution was cash crops: sugar and then pineapples (transporting these goods one way meant a subsidized shipping costs back to the islands) so the next issue is labor; hence the waves of immigrants. 

So why didn't native hawaiians work in the plantations...same reason why the "poor" in US don't work "migrant jobs"...because the government has subsidized native hawaiians for decades.

Let me also say, white locals and native hawaiian treated the immigrants like dirt...they got nothing and was often kicked down. 

So why was there multiple waves?

The Chinese came first and they worked their asses off and saved and saved..sent their kids to school and eventually was successful enough to price themselves out...then came Filipino..same...then Japanese...same...Korean....same

And through it all, the poor class has always remained predominantly...Native Hawaiians.

I recognize an immigrant's mentality is something fierce...I learned that from my own family...it's not a fair comparison...but there are clear lessons here.

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, Shortbus311 said:

Someone was dumb enough to think it was a good idea to post this for sale on FB. Wonder how many people are going to see this and boycott Lego for their poor taste in judgment? 

The net result would be less than 0

The small number of people who actually think that this is real are vastly outnumbered by the number of individuals with a dark sense of humor, who would be buying this set (if at actually existed). 

Edited by KShine

Lost $400 on a bad return - Buyer claimed new set wasn't new (but it was), waited almost 2 months, wouldn't communicate, escalated a return into claim, the usps misdelivered my return package elsewhere, ebay refunded entire amount without adjustments for fees, etc.

With my luck, they will find my package, & redeliver it - just so I can open it to find an empty box.

• Sad 5

On 1/10/2021 at 9:08 AM, iahawks550 said:

I've already seen several posts on other sites that take this for a real set. But, those people aren't too smart.

"There's one born every minute"

- most commonly attributed to PT Barnum, but there is no evidence he coined the phrase.  In fact, it most likely pre-dates him.

30 minutes ago, exracer327 said:

"There's one born every minute"

- most commonly attributed to PT Barnum, but there is no evidence he coined the phrase.  In fact, it most likely pre-dates him.

Trump's daughter tweeted that Ashli Babbitt (The lady shot by police trying to break into Senate Chambers; who died) was an ANTIFA spy.  C'mon!

https://www.sfgate.com/politics/article/capitol-trump-riots-storming-coverage-deaths-15861812.php

I get that maybe I don't have "the facts" but what is more likely:

The lady with years of ProTrump social media posts involved in the capitol tragedy shot and killed (lots of video show her getting shot and dying)

or

A lady who took it upon her to fake being a Trump supporter for years (fooling even close friends and family members) just so the long con of her infiltrating the the pro-Trump protestors and initiating violence to make them look bad...and getting shot and killed in the act (altho some rumors say she faked her death).

Trump's daughter tweeted that Ashli Babbitt (The lady shot by police trying to break into Senate Chambers; who died) was an ANTIFA spy.  C'mon!
https://www.sfgate.com/politics/article/capitol-trump-riots-storming-coverage-deaths-15861812.php
I get that maybe I don't have "the facts" but what is more likely:
The lady with years of ProTrump social media posts involved in the capitol tragedy shot and killed (lots of video show her getting shot and dying)
or
A lady who took it upon her to fake being a Trump supporter for years (fooling even close friends and family members) just so the long con of her infiltrating the the pro-Trump protestors and initiating violence to make them look bad...and getting shot and killed in the act (altho some rumors say she faked her death).

From the article “A post on Parler that baselessly claims Ashli Babbitt, the woman killed inside the Capitol building, was an "antifa" agent. The unverified account appears to be impersonating a member of the Trump family in order to seem more credible”

Also, everyone knows there’s nothing Tiffany can do to earn her father’s love!

1 minute ago, Mark Twain said:

From the article “A post on Parler that baselessly claims Ashli Babbitt, the woman killed inside the Capitol building, was an "antifa" agent. The unverified account appears to be impersonating a member of the Trump family in order to seem more credible”

Also, everyone knows there’s nothing Tiffany can do to earn her father’s love!

but my point is simple plausibility...are folks actually believing these stories? 

but my point is simple plausibility...are folks actually believing these stories? 

People have gotten to the point where they need to believe, before they are willing to look at facts. And even in the face of facts, they’re belief is unwavering.

This is true on both sides of the political spectrum. In fact, calling it out usually gets you branded as a trouble maker, because, again, we’re so polarized in our beliefs were unwilling to step back and be objective, even for a moment.

It’s a bit of “I want to believe this so badly” even though it’s not true. And people want an answer now, instead of being patient.
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Alpinemaps said:

People have gotten to the point where they need to believe, before they are willing to look at facts. And even in the face of facts, they’re belief is unwavering.

This is true on both sides of the political spectrum. In fact, calling it out usually gets you branded as a trouble maker, because, again, we’re so polarized in our beliefs were unwilling to step back and be objective, even for a moment.

It’s a bit of “I want to believe this so badly” even though it’s not true. And people want an answer now, instead of being patient.

Damm should post this in the retiring soon thread

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

Yes. In part it is because people read these stories on social media apps in the context of scrolling, clicking on mobile devices in a few seconds. The way we use social media is antithetical to critical thinking, as there is no time to pause, consider, evaluate, entertain or challenge anything. One post, no big deal, but these apps use algorithms that feed you insane crap that speaks so aptly to your own bias that they become reality generators. Once you open up the rabbit hole there is no bottom. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Yes. In part it is because people read these stories on social media apps in the context of scrolling, clicking on mobile devices in a few seconds. The way we use social media is antithetical to critical thinking, as there is no time to pause, consider, evaluate, entertain or challenge anything. One post, no big deal, but these apps use algorithms that feed you insane crap that speaks so aptly to your own bias that they become reality generators. Once you open up the rabbit hole there is no bottom. 

Exactly right. And then combine that with bad actors spreading propaganda. When you are quick scrolling you don’t know if it’s someone legit thinks something, or if they’re being inflammatory under the guise of being “real.”

Nothing is as black and white as it’s presented today.
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Alpinemaps said:

Exactly right. And then combine that with bad actors spreading propaganda. When you are quick scrolling you don’t know if it’s someone legit thinks something, or if they’re being inflammatory under the guise of being “real.”

Nothing is as black and white as it’s presented today.

Agreed.  What we need is actual reporters, without bias, searching for facts - where ever they may lead.  Sadly, I know some of those types of independent reporters are getting shut down by YouTube, facebook, twitter, etc.   It is getting hard to find actual facts.  The only thing arguably more difficult to find are people interested in actual facts.

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, KvHulk said:

Common sense is a rare commodity.

In other news.... Do we seriously need the Punky Brewster show to return?

We do if it leads to a Small Wonder reboot.  I assume they broke down Vicki and turned her into a Twitter bot that unleashed the hell we're currently living in. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

John Sullivan, confirmed BLM activist who was inside the capitol on the 6th. He claims in a interview that he was just there to document and find out for himself what the other side was all about, even though he has made anti-trump and anti-trump supporter comments on social media for years. He founded a group called Insurgance USA... somehow I don't buy his story.

Logan Grimes, another BLM activist who was arrested at the capitol on the 6th and was carrying a firearm at the time.

I am not saying that every claim is valid (I do not believe for a minute that the woman who was shot was Antifa), but there are verified cases. Feel free to Google these two guys and find out for yourself.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Shortbus311 said:

John Sullivan, confirmed BLM activist who was inside the capitol on the 6th. He claims in a interview that he was just there to document and find out for himself what the other side was all about, even though he has made anti-trump and anti-trump supporter comments on social media for years.

Logan Grimes, another BLM activist (possible Antifa?) who was arrested at the capitol on the 6th and was carrying a firearm at the time.

I am not saying that every claim is valid (I do not believe for a minute that the woman who was shot was Antifa), but there are verified cases. Feel free to Google these two guys and find out for yourself.

"All the world's a stage"

Ever wonder why what you watch on Television is labeled programming?

Edward Burnays, Nephew to Sigmond Freud and Great Uncle to Marc Burneys Randolph(founder of Netflix), and the father of modern propaganda said it best.

“The conscious and intelligent manipulation of the organized habits and opinions of the masses is an important element in democratic society. Those who manipulate this unseen mechanism of society constitute an invisible government which is the true ruling power of our country. ...We are governed, our minds are molded, our tastes formed, our ideas suggested, largely by men we have never heard of. This is a logical result of the way in which our democratic society is organized. Vast numbers of human beings must cooperate in this manner if they are to live together as a smoothly functioning society. ...In almost every act of our daily lives, whether in the sphere of politics or business, in our social conduct or our ethical thinking, we are dominated by the relatively small number of persons...who understand the mental processes and social patterns of the masses. It is they who pull the wires which control the public mind.”

If you don't know who Edward Burnays is, I suggest you do a google search. One of the most influential  people in US history and unknown to most Americans. 

• Like 1

"All the world's a stage"
Ever wonder why what you watch on Television is labeled programming?
Edward Burnays, Nephew to Sigmond Freud and Great Uncle to Marc Burneys Randolph(founder of Netflix), and the father of modern propaganda said it best.

“The conscious and intelligent manipulation of the organized habits and opinions of the masses is an important element in democratic society. Those who manipulate this unseen mechanism of society constitute an invisible government which is the true ruling power of our country. ...We are governed, our minds are molded, our tastes formed, our ideas suggested, largely by men we have never heard of. This is a logical result of the way in which our democratic society is organized. Vast numbers of human beings must cooperate in this manner if they are to live together as a smoothly functioning society. ...In almost every act of our daily lives, whether in the sphere of politics or business, in our social conduct or our ethical thinking, we are dominated by the relatively small number of persons...who understand the mental processes and social patterns of the masses. It is they who pull the wires which control the public mind.”

If you don't know who Edward Burnays is, I suggest you do a google search. One of the most influential  people in US history and unknown to most Americans. 

I agree that there is so much propaganda put out from CNN, MSNBC, FB, YouTube, Twitter and the rest of the left media that it is near impossible to find the truth nowadays.
  • Like 2