10220 - Volkswagen T1 Camper Van

odenisblazin

the signs are not easy to spot like before 2012.  this can retire at anytime and the mad rush will began.  regardless, i would wager that we are closer to the retirement date (whenever that is) than not. 

please remember that i'm one of the older members around that DO NOT advocate buying sets early in the retail life-cycle.  i usually go with my gut and it's telling me we are 2/3rds to 3/4ths into it's retail life.   ** i might be totally wrong here but i'm not taking chances with this and Sopwith Camel.  **

ok.

I am sitting on about $800 $900 here and need to choose either R2s or campers. I have two R2S now and no campers and 5 GEs. Any advice?

I don't think there is a rush right now. Just make sure you get one if you really want to build one yourself. Otherwise you can probably put your money elsewhere. Think back to the tower bridge. It was supposed to be retired by now, and is still easily available.

Tower bridge is not linked to license, is it ?

If a license agreement is non-exclusive, which means that the seller sells it to multiple buyers then a dynamic license agreement is very likely. Fix fee for the first X years and/or a share from all sales, and after the years only the share remains. This is beneficial to both parties, because in this case they can produce exactly as long as the demand is satisfactory, and the licenser has nothing to do just receive the contribution.

We don't know what type of agreement LEGO has. And lots of people forget the benefits of the licenser aside the fee. SW is profitable because of the merchandise mostly, and in that case the movies sell the merchandise.

VW produces cars, it has no direct interest in profits from toy sales. In fact, VW toys carry a very strong marketing value. If I were a car company, I would give these licenses for free for such a quality partner as LEGO. Don't forget that nowadays car companies pay huge sums to Hollywood for product placement. 

In summary, speculation about certain license agreements is pointless, especially the ones which represent companies not living from merchandise.

They did retire Unimog

ok.

I am sitting on about $800 $900 here and need to choose either R2s or campers. I have two R2S now and no campers and 5 GEs. Any advice?

my 2 cents:

pick a combo of R2s and Campers. try to buy from amazon if you have points or at least target.com with their 5% redcard.

the GE is great but now with TRU carrying them, you might have more time plus you already own 5.  i also like that 10220 isn't that huge of a box (depth-wise) for mailing.

(...) it's more likely that the Camper will stick around a while longer because the Mini is coming.  A lot of people will want to buy both.

Yes that does make sense but I still think there should be only one :highlander: because if two are available at the same time, we can nearly refer these a "theme" and make people confused.

That's the reason why I think there should be just 1 VW vehicule at the same time.

We'll see ! :)

my 2 cents:

pick a combo of R2s and Campers. try to buy from amazon if you have points or at least target.com with their 5% redcard.

the GE is great but now with TRU carrying them, you might have more time plus you already own 5.  i also like that 10220 isn't that huge of a box (depth-wise) for mailing.

Amazon Points? Should I go back to the newbie thread? I have been using Amazon for years and have no idea there was a point program.

They did retire Unimog

Inversion is on a roll today. The license expiration is irrelevant unless it somehow prevents other vehicles from being made representing other auto makers. If the set is selling well, VW would have no reason to end the agreement, unless they plan on switching to MegaBloks. This is also assuming that they don't already have the license for several more years. Trying to guess license agreement dates is worse than trying to predict retirement dates. The Unimog's retirement really has no bearing on what will or won't happen to the T1.

Yes that does make sense but I still think there should be only one :highlander: because if two are available at the same time, we can nearly refer these a "theme" and make people confused.

That's the reason why I think there should be just 1 VW vehicule at the same time.

We'll see ! :)

There will only be one VW vehicle available regardless since Mini Cooper is owned by BMW.

• Like 1

Inversion is on a roll today. The license expiration is irrelevant unless it somehow prevents other vehicles from being made representing other auto makers. If the set is selling well, VW would have no reason to end the agreement, unless they plan on switching to MegaBloks. This is also assuming that they don't already have the license for several more years. Trying to guess license agreement dates is worse than trying to predict retirement dates. The Unimog's retirement really has no bearing on what will or won't happen to the T1.

Agree about the license.

I'm just buying now because I think the end is sooner than later as i think it will just retire regardlsss of the VW license. I'm prob wrong but I'm going with my gut.

VW finally ceased production of the van. Lego might want something fresh (Cooper) after the additional rekindled nostalgia wears off.

Additionally, I have a thought from far in left field. BMW and VW are fierce competitors. Part of me wants to think BMW would like to be the main focus of TLG's available licensed auto sets.

Again, this is all pure theory and wishful thinking on my part.

I'm just buying now because I think the end is sooner than later as i think it will just retire regardlsss of the VW license. I'm prob wrong but I'm going with my gut.

I'm not saying don't buy them, I just think the reasoning that some are coming up with on why these are done doesn't make sense.  If a set is done, it's done.  If they want to continue producing it they will.  We could sit here all day coming up with theories on why it's staying or going, but in the end they will have no impact on anything.

• Like 1

I'm not saying don't buy them, I just think the reasoning that some are coming up with on why these are done doesn't make sense. If a set is done, it's done. If they want to continue producing it they will. We could sit here all day coming up with theories on why it's staying or going, but in the end they will have no impact on anything.

Hey, I'm with ya. We are totally on the same page. When the stars align, it will retire :)

There will only be one VW vehicle available regardless since Mini Cooper is owned by BMW.

I understand now I made the stupdiest answer on this forum.

I'm no familiar with cars and thought Mini belonged to VW group.

Sorry, and thanks !

All I know is that I can't eff'ing wait for this Lego set. I may just have to create MOC for my Mini....

Is that red or orange?

But a lego Mini would be cheaper than the real thing and would save my bank account. :) I'm hankering after the 2015 Clubman at the mo.

To return to who owns British car brands.

VW owns Bentley. BMW also own Rolls Royce. Tata (Indian) own Jaguar & Land Rover.

To get back on topic, I still only have one of the camper. I keep going to buy one but something else comes up. First the Maersk came back in stock, then there was 15% off Star Wars. Maybe one this month....

Is that red or orange?

But a lego Mini would be cheaper than the real thing and would save my bank account. :) I'm hankering after the 2015 Clubman at the mo.

Orange Spice is the official colour. My monthly car payment is cheaper than my monthly Lego bill. :D

That's an older picture though... I have since added these:

post-8090-0-41732700-1400776620.jpg

• Like 1

My Grandad in England had an original Mini Cooper.  There were 6 of us crammed in it driving down the streets of Manchester back in the 80's.  Good times, good times.

A MKI 998cc ?

My friend in lego tells me is green....."British green"

I wonder what shade that will be. BRG has been many different shades over the years.

Wow.. at Friday the count was 175 sets in stock.. Now at monday morning 'only' 41 and that for only the Netherlands... people bought it a lot this weekend and 95 euro isn't the best price available here.. seems to me like a little panic buying.

http://www.brickshop.nl/lego/lego-exclusives/lego-10220-volkswagen-t1-camper-van.html

Also sold out at one of the biggest toy shops in the Netherlands 'Bart Smit'.

Wow.. at Friday the count was 175 sets in stock.. Now at monday morning 'only' 41 and that for only the Netherlands... people bought it a lot this weekend and 95 euro isn't the best price available here.. seems to me like a little panic buying.

http://www.brickshop.nl/lego/lego-exclusives/lego-10220-volkswagen-t1-camper-van.html

Also sold out at one of the biggest toy shops in the Netherlands 'Bart Smit'.

...or their stock count was wrong and they just corrected it.