10220 - Volkswagen T1 Camper Van

odenisblazin

emazers?

I think emazers will be insulted now. He has 3600x T1 Campers, I suppose.

My thoughts..

Like many experienced members on this site, Emazers has the common sense to not list / sell sets until after they retire and will never pay 20%+ seller fees along with that unfriendly (to sellers) return policy.

No doubt the T1 will be stocked up. I expect to be holding mine for 2-3 years at least. This is why I think the Sopwith will be doing just as well if not better than the T1 up to a year or even two after EOL. The rate of appreciation will be quicker for the Sopwith but over time the T1 will catch up.

No doubt the T1 will be stocked up. I expect to be holding mine for 2-3 years at least. This is why I think the Sopwith will be doing just as well if not better than the T1 up to a year or even two after EOL. The rate of appreciation will be quicker for the Sopwith but over time the T1 will catch up.

I really don't see the T1 camper 'catching up' to the Sopwith Camel, it's going to cruise on past it. I don't care how many Campervans are in circulation there is no way I see it playing second fiddle to the Sopwith Camel

Even if some seller has 360 campers or more it doesn't matter how many he had but his selling point. If he plans to hold until $400 then that's ok by me, if he plans to sell at $200 then this will go stagnant for a while. I'm imagining if that seller is big time with that much stock his costs are going to be high. With those assumptions his selling point has to be higher than most small time sellers like myself so I'm not too concerned about thst person

I really don't see the T1 camper 'catching up' to the Sopwith Camel, it's going to cruise on past it. I don't care how many Campervans are in circulation there is no way I see it playing second fiddle to the Sopwith Camel

It will sooner or later, I just think the Sopwith will be quicker out of the blocks.

Even if some seller has 360 campers or more it doesn't matter how many he had but his selling point. If he plans to hold until $400 then that's ok by me, if he plans to sell at $200 then this will go stagnant for a while. I'm imagining if that seller is big time with that much stock his costs are going to be high. With those assumptions his selling point has to be higher than most small time sellers like myself so I'm not too concerned about thst person

You should be concerned about that person because there is very little chance that someone sitting on 360 copies of a set, which likely cost somewhere close to $40k, is going to be pricing them higher than a small time reseller like yourself.  

One of the things that has happened over the last few years to the secondary Lego market is that the number of larger resellers has grown significantly.  As a result, there is more price competition than there ever has been before.  When you have multiple resellers sitting on 100+ copies of a single set that retails for over $100 and is rarely discounted, that is a recipe for pretty fierce price competition that will depress the price of the set until those resellers begin selling through their inventory.  I could be wrong and this could be the one guy who has pie-in-the-sky dreams of selling all 360 copies of the Camper for $500+, but I think that someone who is willing to sink $40k into a single set is going to be far more pragmatic.  

What you should be hoping for is that the demand for the Camper van is so off the charts that he'll sell through that stock in 6 months. 

• Like 1

You should be concerned about that person because there is very little chance that someone sitting on 360 copies of a set, which likely cost somewhere close to $40k, is going to be pricing them higher than a small time reseller like yourself.

One of the things that has happened over the last few years to the secondary Lego market is that the number of larger resellers has grown significantly. As a result, there is more price competition than there ever has been before. When you have multiple resellers sitting on 100+ copies of a single set that retails for over $100 and is rarely discounted, that is a recipe for pretty fierce price competition that will depress the price of the set until those resellers begin selling through their inventory. I could be wrong and this could be the one guy who has pie-in-the-sky dreams of selling all 360 copies of the Camper for $500+, but I think that someone who is willing to sink $40k into a single set is going to be far more pragmatic.

What you should be hoping for is that the demand for the Camper van is so off the charts that he'll

sell through that stock in 6 months.

I fully agree with this statement. A seller @ amazon was sitting on 200+ HD at some point and dictating the price. Other sellers were forced to price competitively if they were to sell any causing a huge downward pressure on the price.. The price is inching closer to $200 because this seller has been moving up few dollars every now and then and still has 90+ to go.

I fully agree with this statement. A seller @ amazon was sitting on 200+ HD at some point and dictating the price. Other sellers were forced to price competitively if they were to sell any causing a huge downward pressure on the price.. The price is inching closer to $200 because this seller has been moving up few dollars every now and then and still has 90+ to go.

Perfect example of a 'monopoly' with a competitive fringe. Could go in any Microeconomics textbook. 

Not a chance. Sopwith Camels sell for between 75-90% of retail in eBay, Campervans sell at around 100-110% retail, and that's with more stock available than any secondary reseller market.

I disagree not with which one will do better but with ebay pricing.  Looking at sold sales the last 4 went slightly higher than retail and then there are some cheaper below that but the cheapest on eBay BIN is $139.00 each.  I think the Sopwith will do nicely.

I disagree not with which one will do better but with ebay pricing. Looking at sold sales the last 4 went slightly higher than retail and then there are some cheaper below that but the cheapest on eBay BIN is $139.00 each. I think the Sopwith will do nicely.

I was talking UK prices. In fairness I hadn't checked Sopwith prices for a month or so, recent ones have been selling around retail. That said the last four Campervans have sold at

I disagree not with which one will do better but with ebay pricing.  Looking at sold sales the last 4 went slightly higher than retail and then there are some cheaper below that but the cheapest on eBay BIN is $139.00 each.  I think the Sopwith will do nicely.

i think we can't base on the recent sale because demand must have went up; after the post in BP that its getting scarce. People must be running to buy them or sellers (BP'ers) are raising the price since its getting scarce.

but on an average sopwith has sold for below retail for a long time.

WWI was such a crappy war. All slaughter, no real strategy, and not much fun...  If this were the Red Baron instead, that would still be pretty cool (especially if it came with a Snoopy minifig and buildable flying Doghouse).  The Camel, though...  13 years is a long time to wait for a 200% return.

I totally agree, I hate it when people take the fun out of a war...

lego beetle looks really ugly. It should be remade with more snots and curved tiles.

How is that answer any questions?

If the beetle is an indication of how it will perform plus with its current performance I don't think $240 in 12-14 months is too far off. Really depends on the ceiling that is set by the people with mass quantities.