LEGO CONFESSIONAL

So, this is partially inspired by DNIIM from another thread, basically targeting out biggest screwups and regrets in buying, not buying and selling.

Buying

Oh those early years. I was collecting the Toy Story Lego sets for my son, when it came down to needing the Garbage Truck set to complete it. I had already forked out significant dollars for the collection, though had been purchased the sets at some discount (only later for them to be heavily discounted). Well I saw the Garbage Truck set on a site called Fishpond for $99 (free shipping) and the set had proven to be elusive due to it's exclusive release. In the end I ordered it, then the wait began.... and continued. 9 weeks later, it hasn't been shipped and then I found one on ebay for $85 delivered so snapped it up. The day my ebay item shipped, Fishpond shipped theirs. So all these years on I still have a Garbage Truck sitting there which I paid full retail for. I leave the sealed copy in the middle of my stash to continue mocking me and remind me of that lesson. 

I have Cars 2 sets do the same, but since I picked them up for $25 a pop and can sell them at profit, they do not count as much.

Not Buying

It is easy to sit back and point to the Green Grocer, UCS Falcons, etc. But I am probably aiming more for those sets you saw heavily discounted and wanted that little bit cheaper (greed I know!)

As I was getting into reselling, I noticed the clearances going on locally. One set that got my attention was the 7888 Batman The Tumbler: Joker's Ice Cream Surprise set. It was down to $25, 4 on the shelf. I was more interested in Star Wars and besides, who would spend a fortune on Batman? I went home and forgot about it, before looking the set up on ebay a week later and realising the prices were solid. A quick check found the line had been discontinued. I raced back.... all gone. 

A couple of weeks before I had been researching the Batmobile UCS and was watching the sets sell for $20-30, and kept thinking that with the freight over here it would be too expensive to buy (wayyyyy before my budget blowouts these days!)

Selling

Ahhh yes some harsh lessons learnt here. I am not going to pick out UCS ISD, DS2 or Market Street as I sold them for significant profit. Sure they are worth a lot more now, but I have learnt as I went on.

Just before Christmas last year I sold off my damaged Black Pearl sets for $150. Very silly, but I thought they would still be around. Same with the 8109 Flatbed Truck sets.

The Christmas before was the Technic Mobile Crane, sold them off at retail for a small profit only for them to go EOL not long after and see a nice jump.

So yes, as buyers/collectors/resellers/investors we can't win on everything. Share your stories. 

• Like 1

My worst used set flip was also my first: Batwing - Joker's Aerial Assault.  I bought it for $25 on CL and figured I had $30-40 to replace pieces and the instructions to net $60-70.  After inventorying the set, I realized I needed a number of expensive and rare pieces, and the original Batman minifigure.  $85, a new sticker sheet, a new instruction, and five Bricklink orders later, I was fighting to make any profit after listing it for $135.  I just remember wondering how the heck the henchmen's glock could cost me $5, only to remember I had to order it separately because none of my other orders had it in their inventories.

Four weeks later, the thing was still listed on eBay at $135 with no takers, so a price drop to $120 ensured a slight loss on the flip.  As this was my first major flip, I learned a lot:

1. Scrutinize all listing for minifigs

2. Add at least $10 for shipping costs

3. Never buy a sticker chart if you don't have to

4. Always check the cost of the instructions - the older ones can get REALLY expensive

I bought bulk Bionicle. No manuals. From a kid.

I still haven't even sorted, cleaned, or listed any of it. But on the same deal I made about $250 from his Star Wars sets :) after a LOT of work.

I also paid $140 for a Medieval Market Village... A week later I couldve bought one on ebay for $110.

Whoo - Darkness you may be the first person to ever be inspired by me:)

I love things like this. it brings out the human element in all of us. Here are some of mine so far:

Back in July I purchase 12 Dino 5888 from TRU during a BOGO with a coupon getting them at $25 a piece. Unfortunately they just wouldn't ever go OOS at TRU and I decided I wanted to put the money elsewhere.  I was dumb and sold about 8 at breaking even. Right around then, TRU went OOS and bam! - going for $60 now on Ebay and growing. Really regret getting antsy on those.

Also two months ago I got someone selling the TMNT Kraang polybag on ebay - a lot of about 20 for basically less than $6 each. Considering at the time they were going for $12ish, I grabbed it. Two weeks later, TRu announced giving them away as free purchases and that went to hell

I wish I would have bought up all the Hero Factory Black Phantoms and Rockas I found last year on Clearance for $9 - $11 each.  I never knew the potential of Hero Factory.  I flipped some for great profit, but I could have had a dozen more of each.

Any reason why those 2 sets are worth 5x msrp? I usually thought hero factory syucked and nobody wanted it why thoses? Is is because it was limited ? rare? exclsuive? or just cool looking>?

$T2eC16JHJHMFH!!BZepOBSZydbLKPg~~60_35.J

I purchased this for my daughter 4 or 5 years ago at Target in a clearance aisle.  I don't know what I paid for it.  Maybe $30.  My son was born before we built it, so it was packed up with all the Lego until he was almost 3, and it was a bit safer to have the bricks around the house.  This last summer, before even checking that I could sell the sealed in box set for almost 200.00, I opened it up and started building it.  My son kept dropping it and pieces were flying around the house, and I was getting frustrated putting it back together all the time.  So I did the one unforgivable and idiotic sin:  I glued it together.  I used Gorilla Glue, and it ruined all the clear pieces, it discolored all the green bricks, and turned the edges of the grey bricks white.  The ruined set is still in a closet, and I plan on using it for a project later.  The only things I have that are not ruined are the minifigs and the front wheel assembly.  

1 or 2 months later I stumbled here, and now I bathe in my former stupidity. Someday, maybe when I make some great deals, I will come away feeling clean; but now I just feel dirty. 

Edit:  I didn't glue the truck, but I doubt that is going to be a sought after piece during my lifetime.

• Like 1

Any reason why those 2 sets are worth 5x msrp? I usually thought hero factory syucked and nobody wanted it why thoses? Is is because it was limited ? rare? exclsuive? or just cool looking>?

I have no idea why those go for so much, but they are a couple cool looking sets, for sure.  I sold 3-4 of each, all for really good profit.  I wish I would have snagged all that I saw.

The worst moment for me was about 4 years ago. I had been collecting sets, but not heavily, and really hadn`t looked into potential value. Anyway, it involved Costco. They had a whole pallet of Indiana Jones at about 30-40% off retail (Shanghai Chase, Motorcycle Chase, and the Temple room if I remember correctly). Only bought 1 of each for my collection. Should have forked out the $ for the entire stash. Still haunts me, that is a great theme. 

I have no idea why those go for so much, but they are a couple cool looking sets, for sure.  I sold 3-4 of each, all for really good profit.  I wish I would have snagged all that I saw.

So did you just happen to have them or you get them clearance? lol I want to try to expand my investing to the other lego lines to increase profits :)

Zombies got only 4 instead of 10-15...was on sale in Targets last fall for 30 bucks.

Ninjago Earth Dragon and Ice Dragon.....4-5 each instead of 20 on Xmas clearance in Walmart.....endless list to post.

Lucky to get all 20-22 Black Phantoms from Walmart clearance 9.99 and Creator Lighthouse island for 30.00 (around 25 sets). Happy...

• Like 1

I wish I would have bought up all the Hero Factory Black Phantoms and Rockas I found last year on Clearance for $9 - $11 each.  I never knew the potential of Hero Factory.  I flipped some for great profit, but I could have had a dozen more of each.

Hero Factory sets in box (aka big sets for this theme !!!!) ha tendency to increase in value, for example Rotor, Von Nebula, Furno Bike, Bulk&Vapour, Fire Lord, Black Phantom and Rocka XL.....not all of them but small amount....like Witch Doctor, Scorpio and Drop Ship (7160) (next year I hope). I bet Speeda Demon and Stormer XL will do as good as Black Phantom and Furno Bike.....