LEGO CONFESSIONAL

Buying:

I don't really have anything I regret buying except the batcave, there isn't much of a market for marvell and DC over here. Wasn't that expensive but I'm not expecting great profits from it.

Not Buying:

Back when I started, I made a list of sets I wanted to buy, this was end of last year. I had the QAR and the Black Pearl on there, still available on LEGO Shop at Home, but I decided to wait next month to make my purchase.

Well of course, both got discontinued the month after and I was just able to snag up 2 Black Pearls on Toys R Us France for 99

Lol yeah forgot about that 41999. I thought just like you I'd have time to buy them but they sold out in minutes...

I find I'd rather buy few items and risking less profit in terms of size rather than buying millions of a set and locking up too much money in it. Being aware of the market is important too, not all sets sell well everywhere.

And I find Amazon rarely have really interesting offers when compared to the online retailers in my country. Even using camelcamelcamel I rarely see good discounts for sets I like...

I have some PoP and Toy Story sets in the basement.  I wish I would have gotten them cheaper but I did get them all on sale, just not as deep of a discount as I would have liked.  I also bought a couple of Home Ones and Battle of Endors early on.  Oh well, no long term damage done.  If I would have waited longer I could have gotten them cheaper.  Thems the breaks.

Buying:

Nothing really yet. I've only been doing this for about 8 months so I don't know what losers I've got in my collection yet. Most of my "losses" showing in Brickpicker are sets I bought for myself and paid more than I should have before I learned how to get the best deals, and I don't really regret having bought any of the open sets I own - because I'm a Lego fan first, investor second.

Not Buying:

I remember passing by The Burrow 4840 multiple times at WalMart. I wanted to buy it for myself (cool set) but at the time my kids weren't "in" to Harry Potter yet and I couldn't justify it. I saw it on clearance for $30 or so and still passed it up (this was well before I thought about the investment potential of Lego). . .I finally bought a used one, 99% complete, on eBay last month for $75 (but hey, I used eBucks on it so it wasn't that bad, right?). Ugh.

I bought an Imperial Flagship 10210 for myself (at RRP, $180ish if I remember correctly and it was worth every penny - awesome awesome set!) back in 2006 or so. I remember thinking at the time I should buy a second one to hold and re-sell later, but I didn't.

When I started looking at Lego as an investment earlier this year, the 10210 set was the example I used to help convince my wife it was worth our time and money.

Selling:

The Ghost Train and Vampyre Castle. In September I flipped 2 GT's I bought on clearance in July and made a nice profit (on a percentage basis) but if I had held out until now I could have close to doubled my money. Didn't save one - should have. And should have tried harder to find more of them on clearance in July. Same with VC - got one on clearance, sold it for retail and made what seemed like a nice profit at the time but now seems foolish.

All part of the fun - live and learn! It's great to have this community to share successes and warnings.

I have some PoP and Toy Story sets in the basement.  I wish I would have gotten them cheaper but I did get them all on sale, just not as deep of a discount as I would have liked.  I also bought a couple of Home Ones and Battle of Endors early on.  Oh well, no long term damage done.  If I would have waited longer I could have gotten them cheaper.  Thems the breaks.

Slightly OT here, but will the Battle of Endors spike a little with the release of Ewok Village, or are there just too many available?

Guest TabbyBoy

When i had one of my first ever sales i sent the Lego set off with no tracking, the guy obviously knew this and mysteriously it didn't arrive so i was out of pocket around

Block him as a buyer if you haven't already done so and then check his sales as he may relist the same set in a few months if he's an investor too.  Then you've got him!  Even though untracked, did you insure?

No I didn't it was on Amazon, so not 100% sure how to block them on there i did keep an eye out but didnt see it pop up, i kept his details handy in case he popped up again. Of course it might not have arrived but for me it seemed far too suspicious (from the way he wrote his replies & his attitude) and instincts told me he was a liar, No i just sent it off standard delivery which is more or less suicide for the valuable sets as getting compensation was like getting blood from a stone. 

I had 10 imperial flag ships in my shopping cart, online, on sale for $133 each, at the last second i decided to just get 2, one for myself and one for resale. Luckly i caugh my mistake a couple months later and was able to buy a uses imperial flagship for myself for just $100 and still have the two MISB sets. live and learn.

Which ones? My kids love the construction sets!

Among some of the ones that were in the lot... 7243, 7249, 7633, 7685, 7344, 7632, 7900 and 7998.

Also, any Ninjago set to sell in the EU market. I have almost all dragons, and I think that I'll open them and build them as Ninjago over here is lame investment-wise.

• 7 months later...

Buying: not any real big bad purchases. Just a few toy story sets. But I've slowly unloaded those as gifts for young family members so not a big deal.

Not buying: I have a nice collection but there are always tons of sets we all regret not buying. Or not buying more of. This is where the greed gets in the way.

Selling: my 2 biggest errors (and these aren't really that bad in the big picture) was selling Taj Mahal for $400. Doubled my money but still... Also buying the carousel used for my daughter to build for less than retail and quickly flipping it after EOL for nearly double what I bought for. But we all know the value of those sets now.

Almost all of my sets have sold for double, triple or more than I paid so I really can't complain.

And I've never regretted lost value based on building sets. After all building is what Lego is about.